Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is human life considered special?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭

The endless debates goes on about abortion, soul, this and that, and the question always seems to revolve around the moral dilemma if abortion is killing a human being or not.

My question is, why such a fuzz about taking a human life, while majority turns a blind eye to millions of other living beings? Vast majority of the people involved in the abortion debate is probably fueled (literally) by meat obtained by killing many animals - and we know that animals are intelligent, they enjoy their life, they form bonds with other animals or humans etc.

I am trying to understand what is the basis of the 'moral highground' the anti-abortion folks, and also why other living things never comes into picture?

Is this another distorted logic inflicted upon us by hundreds of years organized religion, or may be the an evolutionary feature supported by a survival instinct? Is that why some societies have more vegetarians than others?

(Disclaimer: While I prefer vegetarian food, I tend to eat more non-veg than veg myself, so I am not pushing vegetarianism here).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, I'd say it's a mixture of a number of factors, it can't solely be blamed on religion IMO. Religion naturally adds in some form of voodoo curse if you do get an abortion, but I would imagine the moral foundations run far deeper than that.

The basics being that humans as a species will be naturally inclined to defend members of its own species, particular infants and those in utero. This would logically be a natural instinctual response to ensure survivability of the offspring.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I've found that pregnant women and young children evoke a very primal paternal, protectionist response from me, and I don't have any children of my own. Particularly where the women or child would be in my family or close community, I can almost feel the testosterone pumping into my brain :)

The "specialness" of human life I think is somewhat and add-on to this primal urge because we recognise that we are (as far as we can tell) the only species capable of understanding and manipulating the physical world to the extent that we do. So our intelligent brain posits that because human life is so vastly different to other "animal" species, that it's more worthy of protection.

So both the primal and intellectual value we place on our young drives us towards protecting them at all costs, whether they are distinct organisms or in utero.

I actually believe that the majority of non-religious, anti-Abortion people are primarily defensive fence-sitters. It's a difficult one to make a call on, so in the interests of playing it safe, you're better of not destroying the feotus rather than destroying it and thinking, "what if?".

If religion really was the driving factor behind protecting life, then why do some religious cultures seems to have very little regard for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Humans can imagine what another persons thinking and feeling though we sympathize with other people and put ourselfs in their shoes. There's a proper name for it. Children under a certain age don't give a damn about other people because their brains aren't fully developed and able to think the way older humans do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm of the opinion is that it's not inherently special i.e. I don't believe in a "spark of life" that enters the zygote at conception, for example. It's a continuum, a sliding scale with no units, not a binary "1" or "0".

That is not to say that I place no value on human life: it's just that we choose what value to place on it, ourselves, and it behooves each of us to have a sensible discussion of what value we place on it at different stages, and why. It's my reasoned opinion that early-term abortion is acceptable, not out of some comparative value judgement, but after a sober and compassionate assessment of the consequences of unwanted births i.e. unloved and unwanted children.

I don't expect everyone to agree on every detail. When we ask the law to draw a line between "life" and "non-life", for the purposes of deciding whether abortion is legal or not, course it's going to be controversial, leaving some people unhappy. Mere existence carries no value in the wider natural (non-human) world, so if we are going to place value on human life, we should do so for justifiable, supportable reasons, not just because of our inflated egos and fantasies.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The human animal is pretty amasing though. Without a doubt my favorite animal of all time. Our ability to survive in just about every environment and what the human body and mind are capable of is just outstanding.

A number of things do make us special IMO, our skin is pretty unique and gives us one of the best heat exchange systems in the animal kingdom which allows us huge territorial range, speed and agility. Our ability to eat just about anything means we can walk/swim/climb into just about any environment. Our ability to notice patterns and find weaknesses in everything from the environment to our prey is second to none.

We only seem to notice the damage we do but that very fact shows just how dominant and powerful an animal we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Gene propagation.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Killing within a population of the same species does not benefit the population. It is in fact detrimental. If this happens, the species becomes extinct. Morals are a part of our evolution. If human life was exceptionally special, do you not think parasites and predators would leave humans alone? Humans are sacred to humans. Dogs are sacred to dogs. The show goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

positron wrote: »
    The endless debates goes on about abortion, soul, this and that, and the question always seems to revolve around the moral dilemma if abortion is killing a human being or not....

Is this another distorted logic inflicted upon us by hundreds of years organized religion, or may be the an evolutionary feature supported by a survival instinct? Is that why some societies have more vegetarians than others?

The belief that human life is special is the source of not only opposition to abortion but also murder (shared by pretty much everyone) and war (shared by many among atheists and believers).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Killing within a population of the same species does not benefit the population. It is in fact detrimental. If this happens, the species becomes extinct. Morals are a part of our evolution. If human life was exceptionally special, do you not think parasites and predators would leave humans alone? Humans are sacred to humans. Dogs are sacred to dogs. The show goes on.

I think thats a bit simplistic. Killing within a population has its merits for strong genes and this occurs in many successful species. We have taken an evolutionary fork in the road towards empathy, theres no way to say that its a better path than the female spiders who eat the males after mating with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

eoin5 wrote: »
    I think thats a bit simplistic. Killing within a population has its merits for strong genes and this occurs in many successful species. We have taken an evolutionary fork in the road towards empathy, theres no way to say that its a better path than the female spiders who eat the males after mating with them.

Yes there is. Humans are a far more successful species than the spiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Húrin wrote: »

And a million biologists get a cold shiver down their spines ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

In what way are we more successful?

That isn't really how evolution works.

Killing other humans is detrimental to you. How detrimental it is to the population is not really important because evolution works on the genetic level.

If I try and kill you there is a much greater chance I will die in the attempt or soon afterwards. Evolution has designed us to not have strong desire to kill those close to us.

It has on the other hand produced an instinct to kill those not particularly close to us (ie outside of the family or tribe), which is why human history is littered with one tribe (country, clan, religion) going to war with another.

This makes evolutionary sense, that one group would protect their resources from outside invaders, and vice versa invaders would want to take the resources of a group.

So it is very interested to see how we bring about a sense of community and how this in turn eases the human instinct to be aggressive to those we view outside of our community. When we feel that everyone is connected to us, part of our community or "tribe" we feel much less suspicion and aggression to them. And vice versa, we hold often very strong negative feelings towards those that we feel are not part of our community.

This is why the widening of communications and education has greatly lessed problems such as war or xenophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

when it's a human its called abortion
    when its a chicken its called an omlete!! :D

thus is the way of life and the world we live in!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

when it's a human its called abortion
    when its a chicken its called an omlete!! :D

thus is the way of life and the world we live in!

You do realise that's not a fertilised egg you are eating?

I agree with Wicknight - I think it's an evolutionary societal advantage. That is taken too far in the case of anti-abortionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

picard.jpeg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    In what way are we more successful?
    Less easy to step on?

More successful how? What are your criteria for the world league of species?

Wicknight wrote: »
    This is why the widening of communications and education has greatly lessed problems such as war or xenophobia.
    A point made at some length by Michael Ignatieff in, I think, Warrior's Honour: Ethnic War and the Modern Conscience.

The excellent Blood and Belonging: Journeys Into the New Nationalism is also worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

robindch wrote: »
    Less easy to step on?

Ah but they're much better at hiding from predators. Could it be that.....we each have our strengths that have allowed us to survive? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭scanlas

How do you define success for a species?

and even if one species is more succesful or have better skills than another does that give that species a greater right to life.

Would you say someone being better at volleyball than another person gives the former a greater right to life all things being equal.

Humans are probably the most arrogant of all species, they have this notion of "specialness" and "qualities which sperate them and make them superior"

I'm a bumble bee, I happened to be born into this body, you humans happened to be born into human bodies, genetic chance. I'm thoroughly fulfilled collecting my pollen, I don't get depressed, unlike you humans, most of you walk through the world feeling not good enough, with a background feeling of anxiety. I live in the moment and savour the life in my body. Most of you humans are so identified with thoughts and ideas that you miss the joy in life. It's such a shame.

Good luck, I'm off to bang the queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I know this post has been quoted ad nauseam, but still "what"?

How are you gauging success. If it's by the ability to destroy the environments that we need to survive, then yes, under this skewed viewpoint we are more "successful".

As an engineer, Spiders are absolutely fascinating. The wife hates it, but I refuse to kill spiders when I see them in the house. Spiders are the perfect engineers, with their bodies they can achieve sublime design, function and form effortlessly. An engineer will spend his life to achieve something even close to what a spider does naturally.

The only thing going for us is our intelligence, and as the great man himself once said:

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." -Arthur C. Clarke

robindch wrote: »
    A point made at some length by Michael Ignatieff in, I think, Warrior's Honour: Ethnic War and the Modern Conscience.

The excellent Blood and Belonging: Journeys Into the New Nationalism is also worth a punt.

meh, they stole all their ideas from me :pac:

Zillah wrote: »
    picard.jpeg

The Picard Facepalm:
    For those special *groan* moments when only the best face palm will do, accept no substitutes!

:p

For those special *groan* moments when only the best face palm will do, accept no substitutes!
    worf_facepalm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

The Picard Facepalm:

:p

ah so you haven't seen the superior...

facepalm_implied.jpg

bp_1bacteria.jpg

In fairness, if I had to pick a winner, it would be Bacteria, all the way.

When the arm angle is just too difficult to get right:

doublefacepalm.jpg

Ok, it's all offtopic, but heavens, it's more fun than this thread!

Hurin ruined this thread, Robin. We cannot be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I think it's because of sentinence and conciousness. The human can feel a wide range of complex emotions and experiences compared to other entities in the universe.

The human is also the only entity (thus far) capable of understanding the universe.

• Advertisement

I think it's because of sentinence and conciousness. The human can feel a wide range of complex emotions and experiences compared to other entities in the universe.

The human is also the only entity (thus far) capable of understanding the universe.

Apart from the entities on this planet, how are humans more capable than other entities in the universe?

(Get your facepalms ready!):D

Advertisement