Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place to eat in Tuam area

Options
  • 11-06-2009 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

What do people think of the places to eat around Tuam?
    I have tried Finn's and Sheridan's in Milltown and both are really good but I don't know Tuam eateries very well any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We usually head to the Ard Ri House Hotel, good value for the money. We can never clear our plates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Cre na Cille is very popular in Tuam, but haven't eaten there myself in years.

I really dislike Finns in Milltown. Last time I was there the service was appalling, didn't give me a water glass, just a wine glass, didn't give fresh cutlery after the starter until I asked, and then they forgot the knife! AND my starter was burnt underneath. Then they forgot to bring us our coffees at the end. But they had been added to the bill alright.

On top of it all the prices are really high for what it is. Comparable to Dublin prices. There's steps everywhere and it's so cramped and crowded that you can hardly move. God help anyone who has mobility issues, or God forbid! a wheelchair.

Sorry, didn't intend a rant! But it annoys me because the place is a goldmine and they kinda seem to have the attitude of "Well, where else are ya gonna go??".

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Haven't been in Finn's for ages but the former chef has opened a restaurant in Tuam called Silver Spoons. It is quite good but again very expensive . . . and noisy. A combination of an upstairs part to the restaurant and wooden floors downstairs provide the echo effect. Cre na Cille is okay too even if the reception is anything but warm and apart from that, it is bleak to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Sheridan’s in Milltown is a nice new spot to eat with more than a plate of steak and a mountain of veg and potatoes on offer, they have nice fish on the menu the last time I was there. If you want masses of food and tonnes of veg all cooked nicely then Finn's is your spot (also in Milltown) Claremorris has the Arch Bistro, which is also top notch and only 20 mins away. Tuam itself is really suffering form a lack of good eateries. Cre na Cille is rubbish and overrated and living on former glories, Ard Ri is nice but it is a hotel and therefore hotel food (if you know what I mean). I have never been to the silver spoon so I can't comment on that one but from what I have heard it is not too bad.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Silver Spoon is grand..the last time I was in it (about a year ago) there was a lot of fish on the menu. I ended up going for Steak (it def hit the spot)

If you like Chinese the The 3 Gorges is nice

Other than that Cre na Cille is good. The West Wing is grand if you don't fancy heading into the town.

Never been to The Ard Ri

• Advertisement

Ryan's Cafe in Tuam is a nice place to eat durimg lunch. U shoulld try it out.

Ryan's is nice but it is expensive. The Abbey Tavern do really nice food at a cheaper price...

It is a pity that Silver Spoons, Cafe Florence and the indian over Geoghegans have all closed within the last week. What is happening to Tuam?

The Indian too?

The place is going to be a ghost town...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

dec25532 wrote: »
    It is a pity that Silver Spoons, Cafe Florence and the indian over Geoghegans have all closed within the last week. What is happening to Tuam?

When did Indian close, I got take-out there on Friday??
    Not good if all these places are going. Plus I am very reluctant to try Santoor after bad experience with the Oranmore version.

• Advertisement

When did Indian close, I got take-out there on Friday??
    Not good if all these places are going. Plus I am very reluctant to try Santoor after bad experience with the Oranmore version.

That's a surprise. First time I heard a complaint about the Oranmore indian but the one in Tuam is supposed to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭galwaynative

Has the Indian over Geoghegans really closed? I got a takeaway there last weekend and all seemed as normal. Santoor is OK but the guys in Dhaska were so nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 afaphoenix

greengreen wrote: »
    What do people think of the places to eat around Tuam?
    I have tried Finn's and Sheridan's in Milltown and both are really good but I don't know Tuam eateries very well any advice?
    Hi really great place to eat in Dunmore. Ran by a lovely mature lady called Kathleen Dolan. Food great.
    Regards Andy

afaphoenix wrote: »
    Hi really great place to eat in Dunmore. Ran by a lovely mature lady called Kathleen Dolan. Food great.
    Regards Andy

Like, what's it called? That would be a help. Looking forward to meeting "lovely mature lady"!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

gilmartin road, i hear they have quality food down there!!!:rolleyes:

Don't really get the point of that response.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Basic_User

A great new restaurant just opened in Tuam called Pedro's cafe and grill. It opened up where cafe Florence used to be in the Tuam shopping centre.

The menu choices are fantastic, the meal we had there was top rate, and the prices are unbelievably low!

Give it a try.

Oh I look forward to trying that out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 pauliewallie200

Basic_User wrote: »
    A great new restaurant just opened in Tuam called Pedro's cafe and grill. It opened up where cafe Florence used to be in the Tuam shopping centre.

The menu choices are fantastic, the meal we had there was top rate, and the prices are unbelievably low!

Give it a try.

Had a lovely meal in there earlier today. The prices have to be the cheapest in all of Galway, never mind Tuam and the place was spotless (suppose it is new!).
    What I really liked was that the owner, Pedro, came over to us twice, chatting & he was eager to get our comments/feedback etc. He seems to have a great & genuinely friendly personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭galwaynative

can you give an idea of menu & prices for Pedros? There is none (that I could see) on the outside.
    Had a takeaway from DHAKA last night, as yummy as ever and enough left over for breakfast!! Was relieved to see they still open as they are lovely guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnbrown

mars bar wrote: »
    Ryan's is nice but it is expensive. The Abbey Tavern do really nice food at a cheaper price...

Sorry to say Mars Bar and others but Ryans is now not good at all.

Over priced and food is really bad.

Think the place has changed owners but its all different.

johnbrown wrote: »
    Sorry to say Mars Bar and others but Ryans is now not good at all.

Over priced and food is really bad.

Think the place has changed owners but its all different.

Yeah myself and Mam were going to go there today but decided to head to the Abbey instead. It's been months since I've eaten in Ryan's and it will probably stay that way.

When you think of it, there are fek all places to eat in the town centre at lunch. The Abbey is grand but limited, the Corralea Court is hit and miss, had a bad experience in Ryans about a month ago. Even the Ard Ri is charging two or three euro more for their carvery compared to Galway city. Oh, I almost forgot, Mocha Beans is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I work just outside Tuam and the choices are very limited...
    anyone know if mocha beans do nice food?

I usually go to the petrol station if i'm looking for something to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 iusetaluver

Hi,
    The Westwing and Ard ri can be quiet ok, like all caverys they have their ups and downs. I hear the mocha bean is good of late but it wasnt my experience in the past.
    And yes Ryans has changed hands for some time now and Its not getting great reports, its a pity because it may have been a little expensive but what you got was always to a good standard.

Mocha Beans is factory food at a stupid price. Bit like the subways of this world. The Ard Ri carvery is grand at times but it is pricey. Haven't been in the West Wing for ages but anyone I spoke to do not have great reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Isn't there a pub near Easons(can't think of the name if the street) that is a pizza/steak house type of restaurant too? A friend of mine ate there around christmas and said it was good food, portions were decent and price wasn't too expensive.

Oh yeah, it is the old Snug (many refer to it as O'Neillios because they cannot remember its italian name). Not sure if it does lunches but it does a very reasonable evening business and has gone down well. The food is very good. Better than Little Italy according to a lot of people I talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 skylock

Basic_User wrote: »

Give it a try.

i totally agree great food great pricing good staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

If its lunch you want its hard to beat the Palace Restaurant beside super valu

Advertisement