Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bend in the Spine

Options
  • 11-06-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Recently got a horse on loan for a while who has a bend in his spine, it is noticable and you can feel it on the back. spoke to chiropractor and she said that he would be fine for light hacking and to stretch him out before i do anything.

anything else i can do to help him be more comfortable

when i ride him i feel like i am being pushed forward and just need to know if any type of saddle would help him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Does the horse have a 'roached' back -ie- bend is upwards? Apart from the stretching, I'm not sure about anything else that would help. I haven't heard of a special saddle, either, but I know somebody who has a horse with a roached back. They don't have a special saddle but they use a thick foam saddle pad under the saddle to help with any pressure which could occur. I've seen them in tack shops, so they should be easy enough to come by.

The person in question has hunted and hunter trialed the horse for a number of years and has never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

With anything like this, muscle is key. Start with light hacking, gradually move on to some hill work, then pole work and build up the muscle in your horses back.

A little more info would be great so we get a clearer picture of what is the problem.The right saddle is key and i suggest you talk to someone with a lot of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is it a bend upwards (roach back) or downwards (sway back)?

A sway back is a bit more flexible than a roachback but is less strong.

What kind of work is the horse in at the moment, by your post I assume it is a gelding.

Don't jump into anything too heavy. Long reining and hill work are great for building up the back. If the horse is not very fit I would avoid lunging as the horse would be constantly on a circle. With LR you will get fitter as well and thus make it easier for the horse. You could try strapping the horse, only do this after work when the horse is warmed up and the blood is flowing.

An Equine Physio can look the horse over and they are very good at giving you excerises and stretches to do with the animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Is it a bend upwards (roach back) or downwards (sway back)?

A sway back is a bit more flexible than a roachback but is less strong.

What kind of work is the horse in at the moment, by your post I assume it is a gelding.

Don't jump into anything too heavy. Long reining and hill work are great for building up the back. If the horse is not very fit I would avoid lunging as the horse would be constantly on a circle. With LR you will get fitter as well and thus make it easier for the horse. You could try strapping the horse, only do this after work when the horse is warmed up and the blood is flowing.

An Equine Physio can look the horse over and they are very good at giving you excerises and stretches to do with the animal.

Great post!

Can i just add. There's nothing that beats hill work :)

Take it easy to begin with. Try to incorporate a small hill into your hack work. Ride the horse out on a long rein to begin with and later start to show him how to carry himself in a slight shape and in a straight line, later show him how to do that up a hill. always moving away from your leg. This should take 4 weeks. You will have a strong back then :)

Advertisement