Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low FPS on Star G36, this time

Options
  • 11-06-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Looks like this stuff is attracted to me.

Mate of mine bought a second-hand Star G36 and found it to be firing around 150 fps. We took it apart and found the cylinder head to be looser'n the proverbial whore's ass. An enthusiastic application of plumber's tape got that up to around 200 fps, enough to get by until replacement parts arrived.

He ordered a whole set of new bits; M90 spring, spring guide (which didn't really fit so we used the old one), cylinder head, air nozzle, piston, piston head, even a new cylinder to fit it all. Here's the stuff he ordered:
    http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=FTUM100HURIG36
    http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=GE0404

We installed it all last night (apart from the spring guide) and the seals within the cylinder seemed patent. Upon fiddly reassembly, however, it was clocked back at about 150 fps again. Sigh.

It's just occurred to me that the new air nozzle might not match up with the hop-up properly and there might be a leak there, so we could try that.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

I had the same problem with mine once turned out the barrel wasnt installed right so try taking it out then putting it back in it might do the trick

And for the love of god please say your not using a can as a chrono

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

We've had it apart several times with no real improvement. It's now got the old cylinder (which fits a bit better) with the new spring, piston, piston head, cylinder head and air nozzle. We had the barrel out and didn't find anything wrong there either.

I'm getting tired of this, does anyone know a place that does repairs that doesn't have a waiting list a year and a day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Neil is correct... if the barrel isnt seated back right, it will put out next to no fps.. i had the same issue with my ca36 till i found it and subsiquently facepalmed....

is your gearbox ok? is everything in it in one piece and where it should be?

if so, look to air seal issues...
    the hop... is it cracked? is your hop on too hard ? the rubber twisted? tbh it sounds unfortunately like the seating issue in the reciver...

The seal is good, nothings out of place in the gearbox.

There weren't any problems with getting the barrel in and out but I'll have a look this evening to make sure it's seated right. The hop up also doesn't appear to have any problems.

the hop chamber is sat square against the gearbox?

• Advertisement

It's pushed into place, turned 90 degrees and then allowed move backwards due to the spring until it doesn't go back anymore. I can't remember how it sits againt the gearbox since I'm at work right now but you can't remove the gearbox without pushing the hop-up forward.

I don't know if it's important but there does seem to be some kind of feed issue too where there's allways 3 or 4 BBs in the reciever even when I'm shooting dry.

thats any aeg issue... the tube is too long for the bbs.

Ok, the mechox abuts against the moulded plastic bit at the end of the hop-up, there's a little bit of movement if you wiggle it but it sits naturally against the hop-up. The air nozzle extends all the way to the barrel when fully extended.

what crono are you guys using to test this? is it actually calibrated?

A borrowed one with a nice LCD screen and buttons.

The one at the Warehouse.

• Advertisement

how... specific... as most do >>

It's not mine and it's not at my house, it's a chrono I didn't pay much attention to it.

I'd assume the Warehouses one is properly calibrated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

It's an Xcortech X3200 and we've no reason to suspect it's off because my shooty-stick's readings are the same on it as on any other.

The Warehouse's I don't know what make it is, but I'd be willing to trust it because its accuracy is all that stands between them and JAIL! (exaggeration)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Mate of mine bought a second-hand Star G36 and found it to be firing around 150 fps. We took it apart and found the cylinder head to be looser'n the proverbial whore's ass. An enthusiastic application of plumber's tape got that up to around 200 fps, enough to get by until replacement parts arrived.

Shane keep in mind that Airsoft attracts people of all ages young and old so keep the proverbials to a minimum. Thanks.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I had it out at HRTA yesterday evening and some of the guys there were shooting it. They reckoned I proably had more range than any of the other guns present (a pair of M4s, an aug and some thing that sounded like tasor or something).

This is strange and probably in defiance of the laws of physics, or maybe chronos just suck. I can't help but wonder what the range would be like if it chrono'd properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 SeraphIRL

Warehouse use a madbull

Advertisement