Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is Perez killing professional football

• 11-06-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭

with the re-introduction of the Galacticos, and the creation of the Super team, how can anyone in these recessionary times relate to a team just throwing/wasting money to creating a team .Football was a game of the people , but the creation of a Harlem Globetrotters football team , is as interesting as that cartoon fiction to me . I still love playing football, but find it much more interesting watching the Irish cricket team than overpaid galacticos, showing the true meaning of sport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Switch off your tv and go and watch some football. There is much, much more to football than the handful of multimillionaire giants of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i wouldnt mind seeing it. it doesnt mean they will win everything either. if it fails it will be great for football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

No he's not , What he is doing is no different to what has been done countless times before just on a grander scale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Or, in these reccessionary times Mardrids super team will give the Madrid fans something to focus on other than economic meltdown. In many countries football is an escape for many people, Madrid creating a super team is an extension of this. I don't think people relating to the sides is a problem, not in the professional era that we have. Back in the day, when teams had local lads throughout the squad it was a different game. If a Madrid style side was created then it would have been a different prospect. Now, people are used to seeing sides of all bought players, with a couple of local lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

No. He's seen what Barca have done & is not standing for it. He's bought the best because he can & good look to them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Or, in these reccessionary times Mardrids super team will give the Madrid fans something to focus on other than economic meltdown. In many countries football is an escape for many people, Madrid creating a super team is an extension of this. I don't think people relating to the sides is a problem, not in the professional era that we have. Back in the day, when teams had local lads throughout the squad it was a different game. If a Madrid style side was created then it would have been a different prospect. Now, people are used to seeing sides of all bought players, with a couple of local lads.

Spot on. Football is more an entertainment than a sport now. Think professional wrestling, complete with rolling around pretending to be dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hang on OP how much did you relate to players on TV over the last 5 years? Most of them, rightfully, make the average years salary a week.

I say rightfully because the clubs are making the money to pay them and who out of the club if not the players deserve the cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No different from what Chelsea tried doing a few years ago,a nd what Man City will continue to try and do, but fail to do so.

Perez is merely making sure that the bids he makes are successful due to the enormity of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Spot on. Football is more an entertainment than a sport now. Think professional wrestling, complete with rolling around pretending to be dying.

It is still a sport imo - its just that it has evolved way beyond its roots of sides represent their locality and being an extension of the locals mindsets and philosophies. Football was always there as a form of entertainment, it was always there to provide people with something to focus on, talk about and get involved in. It is the involvement that has been diluted massively at the top level, but it is still sport.

It is still a sport imo - its just that it has evolved way beyond its roots of sides represent their locality and being an extension of the locals mindsets and philosophies. Football was always there as a form of entertainment, it was always there to provide people with something to focus on, talk about and get involved in. It is the involvement that has been diluted massively at the top level, but it is still sport.
    This is only true for about 20 clubs in Europe. The other gazillion carry on as before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Of course it's not "killing football". It happened a few years ago with mardid, football is still alive and well. People couldn't believe it when Trevor Francis was over £1m, it didn't kill football then and it won't now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Not killing professional football. Making it more 'entertaining' in the soap opera sense if anything.

What i can't get over is that this guy's inferiority complex about barcelona is going to see Madrid make the same mistakes they've made before. Anything less than a primera liga and champions league will be a failure for that size layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

thebaz wrote: »
    with the re-introduction of the Galacticos, and the creation of the Super team, how can anyone in these recessionary times relate to a team just throwing/wasting money to creating a team .Football was a game of the people , but the creation of a Harlem Globetrotters football team , is as interesting as that cartoon fiction to me . I still love playing football, but find it much more interesting watching the Irish cricket team than overpaid galacticos, showing the true meaning of sport.

Are you a United fan by any chance? :D

Seriously though, I think you'll find that during the hard times of recessions people turn to sport more than ever.

As people we all seek the same thing which is a shared experience.

It doesn't really matter whether it's watching millionaire footballers in Madrid or amateur hurlers in Croker. It's something to distract our minds from all the other crap we have to deal with in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Real Madrid won 2 la ligas back to back under their previous president, but that team won't be fondly remembered.

I enjoyed it, but nobody in Madrid was too sad to see Capello booted out.

A Galactico team winning the leage will be talked about for years.

Perez is trying to create a work of art.

I think they might struggle for the consistency they'll need to catch Barca in the league, but winning the CL is a distinct possibility.

Apparently David Villa is next... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Of course it doesnt hellp that the Irish cricket team have had a little bit of "success" as the underdogs of the game....ahhh the romance....ITS CRICKET FFS!

As for Perez, if he has the funds available, then so be it.
    It has always been the way of the game, yes, it seems that the gap between rich and poor is getting bigger but at the end of the day nothing has really changed.

Did Trevor Francis ruin football?
    Did Man Utd ruin football with the sigings of Van Nistelrooy or Rooney?
    Did Newcastle when they signed Shearer?

Of course not.

Anyway, Utd will now go out and spend 60 million on Ribery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The last Galactico experiment failed. Unless he's learnt his lesson, it will fail again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I'm waiting for Monsieur Platinis thoughts before I have one of my own.

mike65 wrote: »
    Well I'm waiting for Monsieur Platinis thoughts before I have one of my own.

Well it's the end of the 6 + 5 rule I'd say.

PHB wrote: »
    The last Galactico experiment failed. Unless he's learnt his lesson, it will fail again.
    And yet they're still remembered quite fondly.

It only failed after Beckham (season 4) signed and Del Bosque (4 years; 2 ligas, 2 CLs) was sacked.

Up until that point Figo (season 1) -Zidane (season 2) -Ronaldo (season 3) + Raul, Carlos etc. were fantastic, whilst winning.

They were the team that got Abramovich into football after he saw them play at Old Trafford.

The last Galactico experiment did not fail per se, more like it put all its eggs in one basket and did not allow for continuity. Thats the difference between a side like Man U or Barca and Real Madrid. The former 2 always have youth coming through and are aided by a few key signings. Reals youth policy is nowhere near as finely tuned as the others, hence the implosion at the end of the last galactico era.
    kinaldo wrote:
    I think they might struggle for the consistency they'll need to catch Barca in the league, but winning the CL is a distinct possibility.

I doubt the CL is a possibility. Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Inter and Barca will all be in with a better shout. This Real team which is being assembled will need time to gel, and that could take almost a whole season. God knows how many managers will be used in the time required for them to gel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Perez is nothing new. Read Madrid have always had a galactico element, going back to di Stefano, Pukas etc. they always had a more money, and they always had more reach. They pioneered the Galatico thing with that team that wont he first European cup.

gimmick wrote: »
    This Real team which is being assembled will need time to gel, and that could take almost a whole season. God knows how many managers will be used in the time required for them to gel.
    This is my big worry. Why they got rid of Vicente del Bosque I'll never be able to understand.

Incidently del Bosque this week became the first manager in the history of international football to win their opening 10 games in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

No different from what Man utd or Chelsea have done in the last few years. TV money is what's killing football not Perez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

Perez ruining football, wrong day to ask any non united fans so i'll say no he's like the santa who knows what we all want without having us sit on his knee

Will Man U ruin football when they go shopping with their €80million I wonder?

Highsider wrote: »
    No different from what Man utd or Chelsea have done in the last few years. TV money is what's killing football not Perez.

The only thing killing football is ref's not allowing good strong tackles.
    Will Man U ruin football when they go shopping with their €80million I wonder?

That's pounds to you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kinaldo wrote: »
    Incidently del Bosque this week became the first manager in the history of international football to win their opening 10 games in charge.

All games or competitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In other Breaking News, Michel Platini had this to say today:
    DEAFENING SILENCE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

He's got the money then I don't see how Perez is killing professional football. There's no rule on not paying vasts amount of money on your squad, otherwise people like Abramovic and the Abu Dhabi lads wouldn't be in the game.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    All games or competitive?

All games. So far about 6 have been competetive.

The previous record was under Joao Saldaña with 9 wins for Brazil in 1969.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Iker Casillas Youth 0.000
    Michel Salgado €11m 11.000
    Pepe €30m 30.000
    Sergio Ramos €27m 27.000
    Lassana Diarra €21.77m £20m 21.773
    Raúl Youth 0.000
    Fernando Gago €20.4m 20.400
    Javier Saviola Free 0.000
    Wesley Sneijder €27m 27.000
    Arjen Robben €36.55m £24m 36.550
    Marcelo €6m 6.000
    Jordi Codina Youth 0.000
    Guti Youth 0.000
    Royston Drenthe €14m 14.000
    Gabriel Heinze €11.77m £8m 11.775
    Dani Parejo Youth 0.000
    Kaká €68m 68.000
    Klaas-Jan Huntelaar €20m 20.000
    Gonzalo Higuain €13m 13.000
    Christoph Metzelder Free 0.000
    Miguel Torres Youth 0.000
    Rafael van der Vaart €13m 13.000
    Javi García Youth 0.000
    Rubén de la Red Youth 0.000
    Mahamadou Diarra €26m 26.000
    Ruud van Nistelrooy €18m 18.000
    Ezequiel Garay €10m 10.000
    Ronaldo €93m £80m 93.000

€466.499m which at current exchange rates is around £401.29m. Gulp

A very very rough effort to gauge the cost of Madrid’s squad. Some of the values might be off but a pretty good general idea of things. A few of the squad are quite likely to leave this summer but there is no indication that Madrid are finished in the transfer market in terms of purchases either, so it could go even higher. Even with 8 youth products and two decent players on free transfers, it’s a massive wodge of cash. Also VdV only had a year left on his contract and Drenthe threatened to go to court to force a move, so they were picked up relative bargains here. Also think Heinze only had a year left as well, but not 100% on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Galactic is a good word for it. The game as fuelled by television is millions of light years away from people on the ground, and from association football in reality.

It'll be interesting to see how English supporters react when their league is no longer the centre of the universe, and as clubs continue to fold when faced with the might of the goggle box.

bestfansinworld.png

It'll also be interesting to see how Irish fans react when 'their' league is no longer... etc.

^ What???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd be willing to bet that there wont be a huge improvement from Real this season. They are rubbish in defense and Kaka and Ronaldo will have a tough time gelling. Who's going to play up front or are they going to play with 1 striker? I reckon a lot of high scoring games. Ronaldo and Kaka haven't been at their best recently so the deals may just blow up in there face. They are players that if they are not used in the right way will lose half of their effectiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I would say there will be an improvement in Real this year. Maybe not a huge improvement as they were good last year. They ran a great Barca side all the way in La Liga but had a horror story at Anfield in the CL.

They will get Villa too so their front 4 will be Villa, Robben, Ronaldo and Kaka. Im looking to forward to El Classico already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

What I want to know is where is Platini saying Real are killing football. Spiteful little man.

As for Real buying up players, id still back Barca to win La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

not a United fan (Everton) , somewhere along the line Professional football has stopped working for me - over-saturation on TV maybe, but players earning 100k plus a week just doesn't do it for me - Zidane, Maradonna, Rooney, Roy Keane loved watching , but .....

just something about the Perez's money no object, seams to be destroying the competiveness of the game, or trying to, bankrolled by a king who has endless pockets

if he gave me 80 k I'd shut up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

If Villa signs as well, how many of Higuain, Huntelaar, van Nistelrooy, Sneijder, Robben etc become expendable? I'm assuming Raul will stay. Barca are still the team to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In answer to the OP.

No.

Don't be ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I welcome Perez and his crazy spending ways. El Clasico will be the prestige club fixture next season, The PL & Serie A will look even more second rate in comparison. It will be all showbiz & glamour, much to the chagrin of the jealous bitter types but they'll be watching as well.

Plus it throws the cat amongst the pigeons with next seasons PL season, an enticing prospect all on its own.

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    What I want to know is where is Platini saying Real are killing football. Spiteful little man.

Because one club does it, does not mean the league are trying to kill the league.
    El Clasico will be the prestige club fixture next season

When did it stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

When did it stop?

Perhaps i should have stated its prestige can only be enhanced by having one side being the CL champions & the other with a clutch of new superstars. If there isn't an increase in international TV cash & viewing figures for this fixture next season then i'll eat my hat.

Think Mark Hughes got a nice dig in at Platini. He mentioned there was a reaction in the footballing world to city trying to sign and Kaka and he was curious to see if a similar reaction happened to what Real are doing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

its the showbiz and glamour I don't like in my football, I've had eneogh of the Beckham soap opera thing - if thats what the modern game is about , and I'm being ridiculous , good riddance and keep it, but for me its back to Irish boxing, football, GAA, rugby and cricket ... thers eneogh other sports to enjoy without Ronaldo style ego's

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Think Mark Hughes got a nice dig in at Platini. He mentioned there was a reaction in the footballing world to city trying to sign and Kaka and he was curious to see if a similar reaction happened to what Real are doing. :D

Of course there wont be. Real have always made such signings. Man City sign Gareth Barry and Craig Bellamy. This is nothing new for Real. Looking at that graph in the other thread of world record signings, how many times have Real broken the record recently.

Man City, with all due respect, are a small club with no tradition of success, apart from having loyal fans. Now that they have all the money on earth, they assume everyone will want to sign for them. It does not work that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

^ What???????
    What precisely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Abromovich is jus' a Perez wannabe :D

CorkMan wrote: »
    Abromovich is jus' a Perez wannabe :D
    Its not Perez' money though is it? I thought it was Madrids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Without going into much detail, I will say that Perez' philosophy does, ironically, cheapen the game. There just seems to be less prestige about it these days.

But maybe I'm just being nostalgiac, like every football fan in the world who doesn't support Madrid.

ccosgrave wrote: »
    Without going into much detail, I will say that Perez' philosophy does, ironically, cheapen the game. There just seems to be less prestige about it these days.

But maybe I'm just being nostalgiac, like every football fan in the world who doesn't support Madrid.
    Who do you support?

• Advertisement
Advertisement