Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarians on Abortion.

Options
  • 11-06-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, maybe this isn't the right place but I've been wondering this for a while now. Mods, feel free to move or lock this if its in the wrong place.

Basically my question is as the title says, what is the average vegetarian/vegans view on abortion?
    I've been thinking seriously about the idea of vegetarianism, but I've also very pro choice, and I'm wondering if anybody else shares my thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Hi guys, maybe this isn't the right place but I've been wondering this for a while now. Mods, feel free to move or lock this if its in the wrong place.

Basically my question is as the title says, what is the average vegetarian/vegans view on abortion?
    I've been thinking seriously about the idea of vegetarianism, but I've also very pro choice, and I'm wondering if anybody else shares my thoughts.

TBH I've never really thought of my beliefs on abortion as being connected in any way to veganism, but I suppose now that you mention it they are reasonably similar issues. Personally, I'm a vegan and I'm also pro-life, but I don't know what the "average" vegetarian/vegans views on abortion are. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

I don't think that you should feel the two HAVE to be connected in order for you to make a decision one way or the other, if you're comfortable being a pro-choice vegetarian then that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Nobody can answer that. I could give you MY views on abortion but nobody here can speak for other vegetarianson the issue. We don't all live in a big house and have a collective policy on various issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Slaphead07 - the OP wanted to know what we, individual vegetarians/vegans thought, our opinion on the matter. No need to be sarcasitic.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and it will stay open for any vegans/veggies to offer their opinions. A debate on the topic of abortion, rights and wrongs, is not required; hold it elsewhere.

Slaphead07 - the OP wanted to know what we, individual vegetarians/vegans thought, our opinion on the matter. No need to be sarcasitic.
    Eh? The question was "what is the average vegetarian/vegans view on abortion" which does not ask for individual views but a collective one. It's insulting to be asked for a view as a group and it happens regualrly both here and IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Eh? The question was "what is the average vegetarian/vegans view on abortion" which does not ask for individual views but a collective one. It's insulting to be asked for a view as a group and it happens regualrly both here and IRL.

I added the word average so as not to create that sort of situation, maybe i should have been clearer.

• Advertisement

I added the word average so as not to create that sort of situation, maybe i should have been clearer.

Ok, it has kinda the opposite effect though. There is no "average vegetarian". Maybe "your individual view" or simply "your view" would have been clearer but we know where we all are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't see the link, really.

There is a tendancy to assume that all vegetarians are airy-fairy, "All life is precious" types, but in reality, it's choice about what you consume and not necessarily a side-effect of your own outlook on life. I'm pretty sure there are vegetarian hunters in existence, for example.

I personally see no difference between getting an early-term abortion and eating an egg. In both cases what's being destroyed is organic matter. There's no life to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Weird one!! I have been asked many, many things about why/how I am a veggie many, many times but this is a new one!!

I fail to see the connection really! :confused:

Im not being smart OP...just wondering why you wanted to ask veggies/vegans in particulsr?

seamus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there are vegetarian hunters in existence, for example.

Really? I'm pretty sure there aren't. Unless shopping for soya burgers is considered urban hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Really? I'm pretty sure there aren't. Unless shopping for soya burgers is considered urban hunting.
    Well, there are plenty of people who are vegetarian for health reasons or because perhaps they just don't like it. Considering the billions of people in the world, there has to be a combination of "non-ethical vegetarian" and "hunter" out there. My point is really to illustrate the broad range of reasons which preclude vegetarianism in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Vegetarian 16 years and pro-choice. I've never made the connection tbh!

Well, there are plenty of people who are vegetarian for health reasons or because perhaps they just don't like it. Considering the billions of people in the world, there has to be a combination of "non-ethical vegetarian" and "hunter" out there. My point is really to illustrate the broad range of reasons which preclude vegetarianism in the first place.

Well ok, I would always take the definition "vegetarian" to mean somebody who through choice does not eat meat. Some who is told by their doctor not to eat meat isn't a vegetarian, they're simply somebody who cannot eat meat.
    The billions out there are mainly ethical where their religion/beliefs preclude meat eating - this same belief system would surely exclude hunting too.

I fully accept your last point and the spirit in which it was intended, but really there's maybe only a handful of reasons why people are (by choice) vegetarian. Cruelty, animal rights, disgust at eating animals, religious etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is no connection OP, It's like saying what religion is the average vegetarian? Or what is the average vegetarians favourite colour?
    I personally see no difference between getting an early-term abortion and eating an egg. In both cases what's being destroyed is organic matter. There's no life to speak of.
    Well I think there is a huge difference between a foetus and an unfertilised egg. They are the same when it is fertilized though. I would equate ova to unfertilised eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Vegetarian and pro life. I actually think they are connected. Most people believe what suits their lifestyle and tastes, I think being vegetarian and pro life are both sacrifices you have to make to keep a clear conscience. Most people don't even want to think about the impact of eating meat because they like the taste, many pro choice people get annoyed by images of aborted foetuses, even though they support what has happened to them. People tend to look out for number one, so it's hard to be pro choice as a sexually active woman. I found that the more I thought about it logically, the more opposed to abortion I was, but initially I'd want one if I got pregnant, just in that instant when everything blurs when you hear bad news. I like to think I have enough strength of character not to panic like that though. I've never eaten meat just because it looked nice or because I was pressured into it by other people.
    They're also two very unpopular stances, I think probably because it makes other people feel slightly guilty, or as though they're being judged.

There is no connection OP, It's like saying what religion is the average vegetarian? Or what is the average vegetarians favourite colour?
    That's how I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well i didnt have much of a view on it before i was vegetarian, still dont have...

I've been to the Bodies exhibition in the Ambassador and seen the aborted foetuses on display, i actually found them fascinating to look at as i study alot of anatomy on my college course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i personally couldnt abort a baby/foetus (not sure what way to term it)
    i got pregnant at 18 and i didnt even see it as an option. but i dont see myself as pro-life or pro-choice. its a tough decision either way and needs a lot of courage. and i respect whatever decision the person makes. i would hope, however, that the choice is made early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Blue.. no red.. actually blue..

(more relevant than the op lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

jape wrote: »
    Blue.. no red.. actually blue..

(more relevant than the op lol)

Not really.

I think the OP was genuinely curious as to whether or not there was a connection, which is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JoeJC

I am a vegetarian, soon to be vegan, and pro-life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

vegetarian and very pro-choice. It should be my choice what happens to my body in all areas, what I eat and what happens medically etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Harri

I'm vegetarian and I'm pro-choice but I've never actually thought of the two as inter-linked.
    My only real 'defence' (I guess you'd call it) is that I don't believe I'd ever be able to abort my own child (I can't say for sure there's alway circumstances e.g. rape) although it's the right option for some people and I don't judge them for it. Just as I can't eat meat but I don't try stop others doing it.
    If that makes any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm pretty sure there are vegetarian hunters in existence, for example.

*Puts hand up*

Veggie since the age of 4 but I've owned and used a.22 Rifle and a Shotgun since the age of 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

bigkev49 wrote: »
    *Puts hand up*

Veggie since the age of 4 but I've owned and used a.22 Rifle and a Shotgun since the age of 20.

???

Camarague wrote: »
    ???

Just don't like meat but I don't see a need to force my views on anyone else and I enjoy shooting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What view would you be forcing, that you don't like meat? :p

Ha! True, but I've met people who are militant vegetarians and I'm definitely not in that camp!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Harri wrote: »
    I'm vegetarian and I'm pro-choice but I've never actually thought of the two as inter-linked.
    My only real 'defence' (I guess you'd call it) is that I don't believe I'd ever be able to abort my own child (I can't say for sure there's alway circumstances e.g. rape) although it's the right option for some people and I don't judge them for it. Just as I can't eat meat but I don't try stop others doing it.
    If that makes any sense?

makes sense to me, thats how i feel about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

been a veggie for 2 years, pro-choice, but personally, if pregnant, i would almost certainly not get an abortion. in the same way i have nothing against people who eat meat, it's just not for me.

my partner's got relatively similar views, he's pro-choice too, but he has a less pleasant view of people who eat meat than i do (though i suppose after a quarter of a century as a veggie, the concept completely disgusts him).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

my partner's got relatively similar views, he's pro-choice too, but he has a less pleasant view of people who eat meat than i do (though i suppose after a quarter of a century as a veggie, the concept completely disgusts him).

I can't see any logic here. Surely pro-choice would be from a live and let live point of view - but then take a judgemental view of people that eat meat?

Advertisement