Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarians on Abortion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Veggie and pro-life.

Don't really see the two issues as being related.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

Veggie and strongly pro life.

from an ethical point I think the two are linked, it's all about standing up for something classed as not developed enough to deserve life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Well, I imagine many people view vegetarians as being pro life, I mean I guess it would make sense for many. But it's really more complex than that. It depends when you believe life begins, and if it's wrong to take a life that could have been etc etc.
    I personally, am pro choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just realised I didn't post my views, I am most definitely pro-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Camarague wrote: »
    I can't see any logic here. Surely pro-choice would be from a live and let live point of view - but then take a judgemental view of people that eat meat?

i never said i understand him, i just said i love him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Well, I imagine many people view vegetarians as being pro life, I mean I guess it would make sense for many. But it's really more complex than that. It depends when you believe life begins, and if it's wrong to take a life that could have been etc etc.
    I personally, am pro choice.

I would think most vegetarians are seen as left-wing types, and therefore pro-choice.

When I became a vegetarian about two years ago, I was unshakeable in my belief that it was wrong to kill animals to eat them.

I was also strongly pro-life two years ago for exactly the same reason. So I do see the issues as being linked.

But my views have progressed and although I am still a vegetarian and still consider myself essentially pro-life, I don't see things as simply as I did then.

I now believe for example, that you can be an animal rights activist while being a meat eater, and understand how wrong it is to judge somebody who has had an abortion, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Just clicked form the front pages and found this interesting, I'm not a veggie.

I think that while it's likely that vegetarians would be either pro-life or be legally pro-choice but would never have an abortion (/want their partner to have an abortion) themselves, it wouldn't be that unusual for a vegetarian to be pro-abortion.

Veganism and pro-abortionism, I can't see being logically compatible, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

JC 2K3 wrote: »

Yeah, I'd agree with this - unless, of course, the vegan in question is not a vegan for ethical reasons, although I've never heard of any such vegans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The reason they can be is because people believe life happens at different stages. Whether it be at conception or when nerve endings form or whatever. If people think abortion is getting rid of something that is not life then they could be vegan and pro choice, yes?

But vegans don't even eat unfertilized chicken eggs, wouldn't make sense that they'd be for killing fertilized human eggs.

Although, I suppose they could if they object to eating chicken eggs because they considered chickens to have the right not to have their eggs harvested by humans, and human embryos/foetuses to not be lives. Which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

But vegans don't even eat unfertilized chicken eggs, wouldn't make sense that they'd be for killing fertilized human eggs.

Although, I suppose they could if they object to eating chicken eggs because they considered chickens to have the right not to have their eggs harvested by humans, and human embryos/foetuses to not be lives. Which is fair enough.

Where can you get unfertilised eggs?

Never seen that label on any eggs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes this is what I meant, and even f they wanted to harvest the humans, for example :D, they could get consent.

All of the eggs we eat are unfertilised. Chicken period, so to speak.
    Fertilised eggs would be a bit more.....beaky. :eek:

Errr....

No need for that smegmar.

People have been offend, next time is a ban. Be a good chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I think we can at least make a statistically valid connection that; vegetarians who are vegetarians for certain ethical reasons (and make decisions regarding other people based on these same ethical concerns) would not compose the pro-choice group who use arguments like "even though it's a person...".

I never thought of the "I wouldn't but other people can" abortion stance though, which makes alot of sense too in connection to "I wouldn't eat meat but other people can" type vegetarians. I think this shows an admirable ideological consistancy which is not found in many peoples abortion views today. As for me I'm a vegetarian who doesn't force it on other people, but I do think human life is slightly more important still, so I am anti-abortion, mainly because I don't think we have a complete enough understanding of the biology yet to define when the life is human etc etc.

I think they are most certainly connected though, just there are different categories of vegetarians, and different categories of pro/anti-abortion people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm a vegan and I'm pro choice. I don't want you telling me what to do if it were my body, so I can't tell you what to do with yours. I don't think I could get an abortion though, but I still can't force you not to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I am vegan and atheist and firmly anti abortion.
    By all means be pro choice but make the choice before you have sex and use contraception.
    I would not try to stop anyone else having an abortion and in fact have travelled twice to the UK to accompany others who had made that choice. I think that we should educate people and not condemn them.

... and for those that used contraception, only for it to fail...?

... and for those that used contraception, only for it to fail...?

What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What do you mean?

People don't "choose" for a condom to break :P

Personally I'm pro-choice, not sure what I'd do if I magically got knocked up, suppose it'd depend on circumstances; who the father was etc, though really, at twenty years of age, with plenty of family support I doubt I could justify an abortion to myself personally, though as other people have said, I'd never judge anyone else for getting one. However, the ethical reasons for my diet are basically just a footnote to the health reasons so it doesn't really count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

Interesting post. It depends on the reasons a person chooses to be a veggie. Ethically, they could see both decisions as connected. But I think because there as so many varied reasons for being a veggie, this tread won't come to a conclusion as such. I like the way way you think OP, interesting post.

P.S. veggie & pro-choice. :D:D:D:D

Welcome aboard new veggie poster :)

What do you mean?
    People don't "choose" for a condom to break :P

pretty much that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I really cannot see the link between veganism and being pro-life.

I don't like the idea of animals being exploited/killed - as for people I'm not really that bothered. So very pro-choice.

pretty much that...

But what is your point? :p
    I know people don't choose it to fail, just dunno what that means in context to this. :)

Monkey61 wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of animals being exploited/killed - as for people I'm not really that bothered. So very pro-choice.

Wow.
    You're one of those vegetarians that meat eaters always bring up in arguments. Never really thought they existed.

Wow.
    You're one of those vegetarians that meat eaters always bring up in arguments. Never really thought they existed.

Ye, I have never seen one either, can we poke it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Monkey61 wrote: »
    I really cannot see the link between veganism and being pro-life.

Not_sure_if_your_serious.ashx

• Advertisement

But what is your point? :p
    I know people don't choose it to fail, just dunno what that means in context to this. :)

argh, sorry... i tried elaborating on it last night and couldnt get a coherent sentence together...

basically jsut that people seem to have set dos and donts... like it's ok to have an abortion *if* you had been using contraception and it failed, but it's not ok if you hadn't been using contraception... as though the end result is somehow different or something...

Advertisement