Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with new lawn

Options
  • 11-06-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I did some building work on my house earlier in the year and as a result my lawn at the back of the house was completely torn up.Its full of weeds now that we've hit summer and i need to get it back to normal.I know nothing about gardening so i was hoping someone here would be able to help.Do i spray it for weeds first?Or do i rotivate it and then spray it?What sort of weedkiller do i use?The area in question is about 1200 square feet.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

jeez,

was going to offer u the left overs from the instant lawn i put down yesterday, about 70ft2 going a begging. but i see u need a 1200

i would recommend it tho, amazing. job done. garden instantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monke

spray it wit round up weed killer. leave it for a week and then rotovate it really well. for rool out lawn it needs to be raked out pretty well as it does for a seed bed to. juust rake the area and get rid of all the stones and humps and hollows out of it and its ready for grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

To be extra safe you could put some top soil down before you roll the new lawn, or spread your seeds. If your old soil is unhealthy the topsoil would help.

When I laid my lawn earlier in the year the steps were....
    1) Spray with weed killer
    2) Remove any stones, rubble etc.
    3) Hire a rotovator and rotovate to a depth of 8-12 inches.
    4) Remove stones again.
    5) Rake down to level it.
    6) Hire a manual roller and roll.
    7) Add topsoil to a depth of about an inch. My supplier also gave me a bag of 'stuff' to spread on the top soil to 'help roots take hold'. I am not sure what this was.
    8) Roll again.
    9) Lay your new lawn. There are plenty of videos on you tube showing how to do this.
    10) Make sure your new lawn gets plenty of water, minimum once a day.
    11) Your new lawn should 'take' after two weeks. You can tell when the newly rolled lawn does not move when you try to lift it.
    12) You can mow your lawn after 3 weeks. But not too short.

One last point, if you have drainage problems in the area now, rotovating may not solve this. You may want to look in to putting some 'french drains' in. This is more complex and I have not tried it. But there is a good post somewhere in here describing , with pics, how to do this.

Good luck. It is hard work, but well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Thanks for the replys folks,will be spraying the lawn with weedkiller tomorrow evening now that i've got a bit of info on how to do it.Hopefully i'll end up with something resembling a lawn in a couple of months:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

jonas7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys folks,will be spraying the lawn with weedkiller tomorrow evening now that i've got a bit of info on how to do it.Hopefully i'll end up with something resembling a lawn in a couple of months:D

Keep us posted on your progress. Post pictures here as you go and the kind folks on Boards can offer advice and encouragement as you go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement