Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox 360 problem need help

• 11-06-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

when i was playing fifa09 on my xbox 360 the pitch turned into a big green rectangle with no detail except for a few flickering lines on the pitch if anybody has any ideas whats wrong or if it has happened to you let me know thanks
    if people want to use this as a problem thread they can if they don't fine by me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Does it happen in other games? Seems very likely that the GPU is starting to fail which means you might be very close to a lovely RROD... When that happens, Microsoft will replace the Xbox for you if you've had it under 3 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

update on the situation not playing any games now, black scree with sound is all i am getting when i turn it on.
    J-blk do you know if that means the RROD is down the road?

A blank or solid green screen but everything else looking normal (you can hear sound, green lights on ring, etc) would indicate the GPU is already gone unfortunately... If you're in the standard warranty (1 year) you may want to just take it back to where you bought it, as they will most likely do a straight swap up for you.

If it's over a year old, you could try the old towel trick to effectively cause an RROD (at least in theory, I haven't tried it myself - mine just RRODed on it's own anyway...) and then you can arrange a replacement with Microsoft. Oddly enough, even though the issue you're having is related to the RROD, Microsoft will not honor the whole 3 year warranty unless you actually get an RROD...

Thanks for the help j-blk i tried the towel trick but took it off after ten minutes instead of letting it get the red rings i read somewhere there is a reset in the gpu and when it overheats it resets(don't know if that is true!) so i let it cool for ten minutes and it was bak working fine.

What happens is that the solder points break and the excessive heat melts the solder down - when it cools down, the GPU makes contact and it starts working again if you get lucky. Unfortunately, it's most definitely going to break completely down the line so be prepared to arrange getting it replaced...

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help i wouldn't mind buying a new one down the line dere petty cheap now anyway

Well, hopefully you'll get on fine for awhile anyway. But if it does give you the RROD, get it replaced by Microsoft anyway - it's their screw up after all, not yours! Anyway, happy gaming :).

Looks like the quick fix was a very quick fix problem is after coming bak and worse again. I think i will just have to return it to microsoft

Sorry to hear that but like I said in an earlier post, if you got the problem once, it's a very solid indicator that the console is on the way out. Might as well get it sorted with Microsoft though, even if you buy a new one in the meantime, at least you'll have a spare when you get it replaced.

Advertisement