Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking costs

• 11-06-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I had to go to Sligo town on Monday, where parking cost me a whopping €1 per hour in a multi story carpark, with the parking fee capped at €3 if I stayed longer than 3 hours. So, if I park from 9:45 to 6:15, it'll cost me €3. If I worked in Sligo, based on working 48 5 day weeks, that carpark would cost me about €720 for a years parking.

Home to Galway again, and it's almost €20 to park in a multi story for a day, or €2.80 per hour. A 1 year ticket sets me back €1,500.

I just want to cry now.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I think the worst is down on the docks, the minimum nightly fee kicks in after 6 so even if you are only parking for an hour you still have to pay 3 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It bugs me that you have to pay a minimum 1.30 on the pay and displays in Galway, even if you are only popping in somewhere for a minute. Whats wrong with a .50 cent minimum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I heard before that you can get street parking in Central Dublin for the same price or less than street parking in Central Galway.

Can anyone confirm this? Shocking if true.

Can get petrol/diesel cheaper in parts of Dublin also. Considering people in Dublin earn a higher average wage then us it really is a disgrace what's going on in Galway.

It bugs me that you have to pay a minimum 1.30 on the pay and displays in Galway, even if you are only popping in somewhere for a minute. Whats wrong with a .50 cent minimum?

There is supposed to be a 10 min grace period applied, i.e if you have no ticket they are supposed to give you 10 mins to return or give 10mins past the expiry of your ticket before clamping/ticket.

Its 2 euro an hour to park on street in cork which is still less than than Galway. However there is nowhere with a cheap day rate like the dyke road or Cathedral which is very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Was meeting a mate in town yesterday evening to watch the Lions game. Parked in Mill St car park as I was on crutches and couldn't walk too far, would normally just leave the car in work and walk into town.
    €2.60 an hour, parking free after 6.30 so I thought grand, I'll put in €1.50 as it was 6pm now and only had half an hour to pay for. But no, minimum charge €2.60 and no change given. What a f*ckin rip off! I believe Galway has the most expensive on-street parking charges in the country... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It seems unfair in the general run of things that whereas there is a strong tradition and availability of public transport use in Dublin city centre where a dearth of low cost parking can be tolerated.
    Except for a small area arounf Eyre Square there is not the same level of access to public transport in Galway.
    Its one public transport gem is the location of its railway station in the heart of the city but what of those in the outer areas which are becoming increasingly restricted in parking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Fey! wrote: »
    I had to go to Sligo town on Monday, where parking cost me a whopping €1 per hour in a multi story carpark, with the parking fee capped at €3 if I stayed longer than 3 hours. So, if I park from 9:45 to 6:15, it'll cost me €3. If I worked in Sligo, based on working 48 5 day weeks, that carpark would cost me about €720 for a years parking.

Home to Galway again, and it's almost €20 to park in a multi story for a day, or €2.80 per hour. A 1 year ticket sets me back €1,500.

I just want to cry now.

Guys cheap parking is not a right but if you look around it can be found. You just may have to walk a bit. You can't expect to park in a prime area and get it for pittance. Also supply and demand dictate these prices.

Further, nobody who works in the city should be parking in the private multi storys or on the street. They are for the casual shopper. You can pay a monthly fee in the Harbour (Near the coal yard and is circa 100EUro a month. Dike Road is 5 Euro a day.

And for those who think Dublin is cheaper ... car park spaces for people who want to rent a parking space in the city cost min 10,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

I have recently been shopping in enniskillen and I parked in the town centre in a very busy car park right in the centre of the town for 3 hours 25 mins and it just cost me 65 pence, made me sick to park in a galway car park last week for less than 15 mins and it cost me 2.60. rip off galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

lets organise a mass boycott of the rip off car parks.... it beggars belief that in the current economic climate they are so reluctant to reduce charges. i mean galway aint downtown manhatten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

KevR wrote: »
    I heard before that you can get street parking in Central Dublin for the same price or less than street parking in Central Galway.
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least. I was in the heart of London right across from the high court of justice in a pub that mostly had solicitors for customers and a round was cheaper than a round in my small town in the west of Ireland. When I say cheaper I really mean cheap the round was a double whiskey, pint bottle of bulmers and a pint of Heineken. That round was cheaper than a can of bulmers, a single whiskey and pint of Heineken in my town.
    futura123 wrote: »
    lets organise a mass boycott of the rip off car parks.... it beggars belief that in the current economic climate they are so reluctant to reduce charges. i mean galway aint downtown manhatten.
    Because they have you by the gonads, they know you won't walk it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 NollaigMD

Out of curiosity, where are the cheaper places for parking in Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Have the dyke road actually gone up to 5 euro a day?

Free parking in ballybrit ind. est. for the win! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

doolox wrote: »
    Except for a small area arounf Eyre Square there is not the same level of access to public transport in Galway.
    Its one public transport gem is the location of its railway station in the heart of the city but what of those in the outer areas which are becoming increasingly restricted in parking?

Can you name those areas? I'm struggling to think of any, outside of walking distance of Eyre Square or public transport access, where parking costs anything.

Public transport ain't great, but it's not terrible either. Though the sooner we get a permanent park and ride both east and west of the city, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Street parking: Salthill €2.60 an hour;

Nassau st/Dawson st/Stephens green €2.60 an hour.....*

That I really do not understand.......:rolleyes:

*at least it was 2 months ago; it could have gone up since; still tho....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

The public have a right to park short term for a nominal charge and certainly not the fees that apply at the moment. But it was an issue that should have been raised at the doors during the local elections. It is scandalous what some of the car parks are charging . . . even for an hour. Yes, I had the same experience as a previous poster in Enniskillen where it was unbelievably cheap to park in the town centre. Is it any wonder they are attracting shoppers from the south in huge numbers.

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Does anyone else thing the parking behind the cathedral is a bit of a joke! I know €5 for the day is great and all, but theres no machine there to take notes, its coins or nothing! I remember back nearly 4 years ago that car park was €2.50 for the day (epic) and then steadily rose every 6-12 months by 50c, €2.50 - €3 - €3.50 - €4 - €4.50 - €5.

As for free parking, if your up very early in the morn, you can get parking beside the cathedral for free, no yellow lines alone the road, though they do check your tax around there quite regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

The multistoreys are run by private companies so are going to charge as much as they can.

The minimum fee of 2.60 in the city centre is a joke. why cant i just pay 20 cent for 10 minutes and then leave to give the space to someone else.

If i have to pay for an hour i feel like using it and the 10 minute grace period. Or as i do sometimes just give the ticket to the next person i see who only wants a few minutes parking.

When the tickets used to have the sticker part if there was half an hour or so left on them i would stick it to the parking machine so someone else could use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dec25532 wrote: »
    The public have a right to park short term for a nominal charge

Why?

There are some people with disabilities who need individual transport in order to participate in society.

The rest, however, are quite capable of walking, catching buses, etc so policies should be set to discourage individual car use wherever possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

There are some people with disabilities who need individual transport in order to participate in society.

The rest, however, are quite capable of walking, catching buses, etc so policies should be set to discourage individual car use wherever possible.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree that people with disabilities should be accommodated with on street parking but so should those who have a 10 minute errand to conduct at a corresponding charge. This may not always coincide with bus timetables. People shouldn't have to rely on busses or walking if they simply have to collect a prescription or the like. That is a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Lately I have found that I dont pay for any parking....and get really
    close to town...

Mind you, you do need a motorbike :D It was mighty for getting right
    into the Docks during the Volvo Race. Only got it last year, as I
    was and am pissed off with the traffic more so in the evenings.

Work in Oranmore and travel from the west of the city. The norm wa5.30pm finish 6.15pm home or after. Now home at 5.40 ish:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

JustMary wrote: »
    Why?

The rest, however, are quite capable of walking, catching buses, etc so policies should be set to discourage individual car use wherever possible.

Couldn't agree with you more, I use my car as much as the next person but when possible I will use a bus.
    It amazes me the number of people in Galway (is it the same in the rest of Ireland?) that think they have a divine right to use their car for the shortest journeys possible and have clear roads and cheap or free car parking right outside where they want to go. This applies to people going to the shops etc but even more so for people driving to work who live and work in the city.
    And before anyone says, yes I do realise that Galway has a crap bus service but there are so many people who think a 20min walk is some sort of marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I walk pretty much everywhere too but realise while I paid a fair amount for a house walking distance from town many did not. Luckily I have a big driveway, most of my friends park at mine and walk in with me. I don't understand why people have difficulty doing this, saves a mint!

And further to the above sensible posts ... Pay Parking on the street is a direct result of people abandoning their cars and causing chaos on the streets, which seems to be a great past time of Galway drivers :rolleyes: . I moved here 4 or 5 years ago and I thought that where I originally came from had the worst drivers in the country but that was laid to rest within 2 weeks of driving in Galway and has not been proved wrong since. I have never in my life come across worse driving and carelessness on the road, it seems like people are totally in their own worlds when in their cars with scant regard for other road users. And the amazing thing is it is not confined to any one demograph ... young, old, male or female just nuts ... I actually saw someone park on the magic round about once :eek: they obviously did not want to get stuck coming out of the shopping centre ... sure it was only a ten minute errand :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

And further to the above sensible posts ... Pay Parking on the street is a direct result of people abandoning their cars and causing chaos on the streets, which seems to be a great past time of Galway drivers :rolleyes: . I moved here 4 or 5 years ago and I thought that where I originally came from had the worst drivers in the country but that was laid to rest within 2 weeks of driving in Galway and has not been proved wrong since. I have never in my life come across worse driving and carelessness on the road, it seems like people are totally in their own worlds when oin their cars with scant regard for other road users. And the amazing thing is it is not confined to any one demograph ... young, old, male or female just nuts ... I actually saw someone park on the magic round about once :eek: they obviously did not want to get stuck coming out of the shopping centre ... sure it was only a ten minute erand :rolleyes:
    NO! We are not having another "Galway drivers are the worst in the world" thread!

NO! We are not having another "Galway drivers are the worst in the world" thread!

Is it that popular ... speaks for itself so :p:D

Advertisement