Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Park Races 2009

• 11-06-2009 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Phoenix Park is running this year. It's it's 80th anniversary races so expect a good show.

Details can be found on www.phoenixparkmotorraces.eu/

or www.ppmr.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 class1comp

July 26th should be interesting at Mondello Park.
    It is advertised on the Mondello website as a Pre Phoenix Park test day.

It should bring drivers out who are renting cars for the Park to get familiar with the cars. I have heard a few people are trying something other than their regular race cars at the park.
    Also a few hillclimbers might be checking their cars on longer runs than the typical mile or so of hills.

The closing date for entries has been extended to 3rd August
    see ppmr.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Can't wait for this, have meant to go for years, especially to see the Formula Libre and F Vee cars...

Apparently "Michael Schumacher's Ferrari" will be on display...Anyone know more about that? :)

The Lopper wrote: »
    Can't wait for this, have meant to go for years, especially to see the Formula Libre and F Vee cars...

Apparently "Michael Schumacher's Ferrari" will be on display...Anyone know more about that? :)

Yes about the Schumacher car Check ppmr.ie for latest details

Oh and keep an eye out for me in the Libre race
    RedCrossle.jpg
    Crossle 30F 1700cc crossflow twin carbs about 160bhp
    I will be running number 92
    with 1700cc I will not be at the head of the field in the Libre race

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Excellent! It's looking like a good weekend! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Badda bump! Should be a great weekend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

cant wait :) weather should be good too!!
    is it friday saturday and sunday??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Where's the best place to watch the races? I'd like to install myself on a seat for the day tomorrow where a bar is within easy reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

thos wrote: »

I looked here but It's not very clear, has anybody got any experience of
    where best to watch?

• Advertisement

Corner at the end of the main straight is always going to be interesting, especially at the start. Plenty of cars will miss the braking area, so definitely some action there.

Chicane is very dusty and only wide enough for 1 car, so no doubt 4 Fiats will shove their way through at some stage, I'm sure it'll get a wallop a couple of times. Formula Vee rolled on the exit one year too.

Very hard braking into Furry Glen, and very tight turn, expect the last of the late brakers trying to make a move down here.

It's not a huge circuit, if it were me, I'd probably take a wander around over the course of the day and see if from different places.

The Dublin Gran Prix / Formula Libre cars are supposed to have some serious gearing for this, so should be reaching some shocking top speeds, be good to see/hear them go by at full pelt, either down the main straight, or else reverberating through the trees as they exit Furry Glenn up the Ordance Survey road.

Here's the Google Maps version of the track:
    Phoenix Park Oldtown Circuit

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I'll be there, 2 of my mates are racing their Porsches.:cool:

Dont like the set up... the Paddock is miles away (Farmleigh House) from where it normally is, and much to far to expect people to walk up there especially with kids... why has the Location of the pits and Paddock changed so dramatically... Loved the setup 2 years ago!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Perhaps because it was a mud bath last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ZOMO

I just come back from Phoenix Park and I am very disappointed because we were moved back by racing stewards with information that this year there is no access to paddock for spectators. When back home I read from racing website that is not true but, well, we're back home and very disappointed. DO NOT LISTEN TO RACING STEWARDS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Digitize

Very disappointing, by moving the pits to Farmleigh :( they took the heart & soul out of it, and its the 80th anniversary. what a shame : (

have to agree does'nt seem to be anywhere near the spectacle of previous years i know there was issues with rain and mud 2 years ago when i was there but one of the main attractions for me and a lot of people was the intimacy of the paddock and the access to the wonderful machines on display.. very dissappointed also there should be more communication with security/stewards as the long trek to the paddock can yield little results if one cannot gain access..
    the 80th anniversay of these wonderful races is a big let down :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Very dissappointing to hear, the bro is racing this weekend and we had a feeling moving the paddock would end up with less spectators seeing the cars up close! :(

ZOMO wrote: »
    I just come back from Phoenix Park and I am very disappointed because we were moved back by racing stewards with information that this year there is no access to paddock for spectators. When back home I read from racing website that is not true but, well, we're back home and very disappointed. DO NOT LISTEN TO RACING STEWARDS!

What racing website?

Large delays in the morning due to deer on the track and in the area which took a long time to clear, and also the nature of the Parks means the off-track excursions usually take a lot longer to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Christ I'd be sick after paying €500 to race and it being canceled. Will the races that were canceled be run today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ZOMO

@BostonB - Races website: http://www.phoenixparkmotorraces.eu/

And after all I know that races is free event and I appreciate that all those people work hard to give us lot of fun, but it was working quite good 2 years ago and should not be changed.

Thanks anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭rugalo

again agree with everyone else.very disappionted with the weekend, racing wasnt bad from what i saw, but again the paddock was just too far away. surely the organisers could keep it were it SHOULD be and overcome the mud. i feel there was nothing better than between races just a short stroll was an aray of mean looking race and road cars. also i feel that its lost its carnival atmophere, i mean i was saying to my wife that i felt like i couldnt approche anyone in the pits with any questions about there cars, i just feel even the "park" as a free event for the public is gone very elitest, can any racers or anyone involved tell me why? boo to irish motorsport!!!

If you go to Goodwood, one of the great things is being able to stroll around the pits and chat to everyone. The park used to have this vibe, it would be a shame to loose it. In the end I didn't make it down this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Made it there yesterday with my little son and met a racing buddy there too. Overall, as with many of the others, I was quite disappointed. Was forced to park way too far from the paddock and the circuit, the walking really ruined it for me and my boy. That, with the delays to the schedule, meant that we didn't actually see any racing by the time we had to leave for the trip home to Wexford at 3.30.

I hope next year they find a way to get it back to the way it was. Much better atmosphere. But kudos to everyone who put in the huge amount of work that it required anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Well lads, just back from my first Phoenix Park Event.

I'll keep this brief as I'm knackered.

Friday:
    Got there in a rush for scruitineering. Arrived at 7.30. Left at 9.30 not scruitineered.

Saturday: Arrived 7am as I was told that we wouldn't get in after that. We were meant to qualify at 11, but didnt happen until 12.30 or so. We were scheduled to run at approx 4, but it was cancelled. Quite embarassing as I had invited alot of people. Made a few suggestions to an organiser buddy of mine and left at 6pm.

Sunday:
    Arrived at 8.15am, much more respectable hour! The whole day was much much better run. Massive crash in our first race which I wasn't involved in but I managed to cook the brakes so had to pull off. Second race had a brutal start but then managed to pull it back to fifth. Managed 116mph down the straight and did a 1'26.3 - not bad for a newbie. The support from the crowd and commentators was amazing and ultimately a very emotional experience overall.

Mark (car 84)
    mark1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bantaman

rugalo wrote: »
    ... also i feel that its lost its carnival atmophere, i mean i was saying to my wife that i felt like i couldnt approche anyone in the pits with any questions about there cars, i just feel even the "park" as a free event for the public is gone very elitest, can any racers or anyone involved tell me why? boo to irish motorsport!!!

It's funny you should mention that - I was competing in the Park and I felt the same way. I don't know if the regular Mondello heads are shy or just don't know how to converse with others.

The Park is the one chance for the public to get up close to the cars and drivers. As competitors it's our job to encourage people to come out and have a look around. Taking a minute or two to answer a few questions and show a few people around your car helps to make the sport a little more transparent and help seperate it from other motoring related bad press (most of which has nothing to do with motorsport). At hillclimbs, we always end up having a laugh with the locals, after all they (most of the residents and locals) are kind enough to let us close roads for our events - and we are concious of this.

We had two cars in the Park at the weekend- a blue Avenger and a White M3. Every time I saw anyone looking in either car, I told them that the cars were open and that they could have a look inside. Loads of people got in, asked loads of questions, took their time, took a few photos. They were all delighted and it didn't cost a penny!

thank you bantaman, i thought it was just me. well im sorry i didnt cop that there are willing people in motorsport in this country yourself included so cudos to you, i suppose i didnt continue looking because i got some dirty looks whenever i looked at a car up close, so i just lost interest. maybe you can answer my biggest question. how would one get invloved in motorsport as a mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

It would take to long to list what was wrong with this years event, so I will just say in my opinion it was crap, from when I got to near the park (no directions) to when I was leaving (blocked in by other cars because of the lack of organisation)

• Advertisement

rugalo wrote: »
    how would one get invloved in motorsport as a mechanic?

Ha ha, that's an easy one... I've loads of work I need done on my car! :pac:

On a more serious note, it depends on whether you want to make a living out of it or not.

If you do want to make a living out of it, Ireland isn't the place to be I'm afraid. Motorsport in Ireland is strictly amateur - the only exception would be the A1GP guys. After that you're really looking at moving to England or Wales for training and possibly further afield for work. A few friends studied race engineering in England - only one is actually working in motorsport at the moment with a company in Italy running a few rally cars. That said, I know of one or two guys here who run a few cars for other people full time and they make a living out of it. Although I can't imagine the market for that kind of service is big here at the moment.

If you aren't concerned about making a living out of it and just want a bit of craic at the weekends. You'll find a few rally guys looking for capable mechanics to help out with service - you'd probably get your bed, dinner and a pint or two as payment, with a bit of experience you'd get a few euro for your work too. You may even find a few hillclimb guys looking for some help. In return you'd get a place to put your sleeping bag in the back of a truck, a pint, a few packets of crisps (and a mighty laugh). It's a case of getting out and meeting people at events - which we know can be tough enough to do.

Bantaman - you were beside us!

I was absolutely wrecked the whole weekend, so quite out of sorts - that's what . No one really looks at my car anyway as it's a wreck, but anyone who approached, I chatted to them and a few kids sat in the car etc. I think it's the way the weekend is run - everyone is either frantically fixing their car, or bored out of their tree because they can't watch any racing.

I think the Sunday was miles better than the Saturday as far as organisation from a racers perspective.

Oh and the Avenger was the most entertaining car in the final corner where I was stood when the car couldn't start the first race!

cheers bantaman, yeh id just like to get out there and get involved in the scene. i dont really need to make a living out of it, i make a very good one in the garage im in. see thats the kind of friendly advice im after, i recently emailed a guy i wont say his name but twice i asked him and he didnt have the common decency to tell me he didnt need anyone, so that really pissed me off, like ok so i dont have direct ms experience but im well up there at the top in the garage in my dealer. anyway enough moaning, thanks for the advice again.

@Committed: That's right - I recognized the mini alright! The two of ye were going very well! Thanks for the loan of the axle stand! The Avenger is a great laugh to drive - my mate Paul was driving it (I was out in the M3). It is the single most beautiful handling car I have ever driven. Your friend in the Yellow Mini and Paul had a great dice in the second race by the sounds of it!! We camped behind the cars on Friday and Saturday... between the generators and the parties, there was little enough sleep had. But it was good craic. You two will have to come out and do a few hills!!

@Rugalo: You could post an ad on rally.ie (I think it's free) to say that you are available to give a hand. I'm not doing many events this year, but if you want to come along to a hillclimb sometime, I can introduce you to some of the regulars. They'd be glad of a hand, but it definitely wouldn't pay - as we're all on very small budgets. Maybe one of the Mondello regulars here could give you a few introductions at a race meeting and I'm sure there are a few Rally heads here too, who could do similar.

I'm planning to do a few Hillclimbs alright! I miss my BMWs - had a couple of e30s and an e39. I've nearly bought so so many e36 m3s too :p

@Rugalo: You could post an ad on rally.ie (I think it's free) to say that you are available to give a hand. I'm not doing many events this year, but if you want to come along to a hillclimb sometime, I can introduce you to some of the regulars. They'd be glad of a hand, but it definitely wouldn't pay - as we're all on very small budgets. Maybe one of the Mondello regulars here could give you a few introductions at a race meeting and I'm sure there are a few Rally heads here too, who could do similar.[/QUOTE]

yeh that would be great bantaman id really appreciate it, im not worried about being payed just in it for the love of motorsport. when are you doing your hill climbs, i can pm my details if you like. cheers again, top man!

• Advertisement

There are four rounds (two weekends) of the hillclimb and sprint championship left this year - Wicklow and Donegal. You can find dates on http://www.irishhillclimb.com

@Rugalo: I'm not sure if I can afford to do any more events this year. Wicklow is definitely out, but if I can get the cash together I may be making the trip to Donegal. Have a look at the calendar and let me know if you're interested in any of the remaining events - otherwise it may be next year we are out again!

hey bantaman just checked the hill climb site, and i dont have anything planned as yet for any of those weekends but if you give me some notice just in case ill be available whenever you can take a run out.cheers

Advertisement