Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diagnostics tool for a Passat

• 11-06-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I've had quite a bit of trouble with my 03 1.8T Passat over the past couple of years and it always seems to happen out of hours for garages. I reckon it'd be very handy to get either standalone diagnostics tool or a cable and software that would allow me to use it on a laptop as I'd then be able to see the error codes and get advice over the phone on whether or not to keep on driving etc.

Did a search on here for VAG-COM but it surprisingly showed no hits. Searching for 'diagnostics' didn't give many clearcut threads either, but in one thread I did come across a link to a site which has this for £90.

What would I need to get VW diagnostics setup on a laptop (I have a serial to USB converter)? Would this work only for VW/Seat/Audi/Skoda or with the same or different cables could it also do other cars?

My mechanic mate can generally get his hands on a diagnostics tool but he'd probably appreciate having his own personal one to use on personal jobs outside of work, so I might buy a standalone device for him as thanks for the help he gives me on my car. What might be a good device to get him and what are the pros/cons of the standalone device vs. laptop software? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get vag com. Some of the others will do part of the job but often not the thing you want to do.
    Id say your friend might even be happy to pay alittle to get a proper vagcom for his own use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks for the tips mickdw.

Problem is there seems to be a million and one different devices and software versions out there and it's a bit of a minefield trying to figure out which one to go for.

Found this forum and I'll have a look around there to see if I can learn a bit more: http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showforum=45

This crowd seem to have plenty of options available, but again the challenge will be figuring out what one I need: http://www.gendan.co.uk/category_1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Problem is there seems to be a million and one different devices and software versions out there and it's a bit of a minefield trying to figure out which one to go for....

Here ya go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's the one. It's expensive, but completely reliable. Bear in mind that you'll probably get hit with duty if you buy from the US - I got mine here, but I can't remember where. I'll try to dig it out if you want?

Thanks for the tips. Anan1, if you do have the info on where you bought it handy, I'd be interested to see it to compare with total cost of buying from the US.

From reading on the Ross Tech site, it seems that the HEX-USB+CAN interface model works with a broader range of cars - i.e. all the ones the KII version works with plus all new cars that use the CAN interface. Does this just apply to VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi cars or can it be used with all makes? Might be worth the extra $100 for my mate to get it if so (cost is $349).

Not sure I'd fork out that much just for my own use though I'd be interested to hear thoughts on just how beneficial it would be having this. Would a cheap code reader like this do the basics for me, with my mate using the full VAGCOM software when needed?

Actually, haven read up on this a bit, it seems the VAG COM only works with VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda cars, is there an equivalent system that works for all cars that my mate should get? What's the downside of something like this which says it reads codes from all post-2001 petrol cars and all post 2004 diesel?

My next car is likely to be a VW, Skoda or Audi so if investing in the right tool now was to be of use with my next car, it might make sense for me to cough up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I bought a VAG COM cable from a crowd in the north for 27 euro delivered. its the KKL one you need as this one will do the Passat but will not do the newer VAG models. You can get a free version of VAG com on the web also which will give you functionality to view and clear codes. If you require the full version you can buy a license for 50euro (i think) from ross tech but it only works with the KKL lead. Its well worth it already been useful for my own passat.

Thanks for that info. Do you have details of the crowd you bought it from handy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I think that there was a group buy for them over on Vagdrivers.net .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Thanks for that nogoodnamesleft.

Reading up on it shows that these unofficial cables can only be used with the shareware version of VAG COM. This site shows that the shareware version is pretty limited. I won't need the full functionality, main interest would be to adequately understand error codes but it seems the shareware version just gives the code number. How useful have you found it with just the shareware version?

I have emailed Gendan in the UK to get a quote including delivery for the USB HEX+CAN version.

I'm kinda back to square one as I'm not sure that something basic like this wouldn't do the main job of what I'm interested in as it reads the error codes and the manual has an error code definition table to lookup the meaning.

Likewise, this more advanced one is looking to my novice eye like a good general purpose bet for my mechanic mate - will it do the basics of error code reading for him at least? The one he borrowed to read the error code on my car was a Uiftech u585 and as that one did the job in that instance, would it be fair to say the Gendan one might do the job too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Whole measuring blocks are cut out in the SW version (and other limitations). I have a USB Hex version for about 5 years now, used it on a whole host of cars. Its not expensive when you consider what it can do (reading errors is only part) as well as the possible uses (VAG is massive and it will do some OBDII reading on other marques) and the years of use you get.

I would recommend the Hex + CAN version you mentioned, for future car compatibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Thanks for that nogoodnamesleft.

Reading up on it shows that these unofficial cables can only be used with the shareware version of VAG COM. This site shows that the shareware version is pretty limited. I won't need the full functionality, main interest would be to adequately understand error codes but it seems the shareware version just gives the code number. How useful have you found it with just the shareware version?

I have emailed Gendan in the UK to get a quote including delivery for the USB HEX+CAN version.

I'm kinda back to square one as I'm not sure that something basic like this wouldn't do the main job of what I'm interested in as it reads the error codes and the manual has an error code definition table to lookup the meaning.

Likewise, this more advanced one is looking to my novice eye like a good general purpose bet for my mechanic mate - will it do the basics of error code reading for him at least? The one he borrowed to read the error code on my car was a Uiftech u585 and as that one did the job in that instance, would it be fair to say the Gendan one might do the job too?

Hi there, if your looking for a vw tool then there is only one choice, vag-com
    (now called vcds)thie will do all the vag cars,and should not be confused with scanners and code readers.this is a full diagnosic program that supports adaptions,coding,live data, vag scope etc.... It is know as the best aftermarket software for vag cars.You should be able to pick one up for around 250 sterling + p+p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

oh and by the way, all eobd code readers can read all eobd codes. but vcds can read eobd codes and vag only codes (yes not all codes have to be eobd compliant)

Advertisement