Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which PDA will do this?

• 11-06-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a PDA with handwriting recognition, preferably one that will allow me to write on-screen using a stylus and import the written text into an Excel spreadsheet on the device. Anyone know if this is possible and what PDA would do it as standard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I can try on my SE xperia and let you know

Tried there, and the note file is a pwi file.
    But theres MS Excel on the phone already, so if you used excel on the phone that will work with Excel on your PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Thanks bill, so I presume you can import the pwi file into Excel? Basically I want to do all this on the device, so I can write on the screen, have my written text read by character recognition software and the data entered into an Excel spreadsheet.

But the Xperia has Excel on the phone itself, so you can do all the work on it, theres no need to export the note.

Theres what I did.
    Change the virtual keyboard to handwriting recognition.
    Open Excel mobile.
    Write "Hello" using the stylus on the screen it went into cell A1.
    Save the xls file.
    You can bluetooth the file to your PC.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

No, that's it exactly. Really, I should have learned not to ask sales people, particularly in the computers/electronics area, anything more difficult than "what colour is it?" by now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

blastman wrote: »
    No, that's it exactly. Really, I should have learned not to ask sales people, particularly in the computers/electronics area, anything more difficult than "what colour is it?" by now :rolleyes:

You'll find that Windows Mobile handsets in general have handwriting recognition built-in so, as billbond4 mentioned, you shouldn't have a problem when writing in Excel.

Sales staff know enough to make sales to the general public and answer questions such as "does it come in any different colours?" but other than that, they'll fall flat on their face.

Advertisement