Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any races similar to Gael Force West this summer?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Wanted to do Geal Force West this year but am out of the country for weekend. Are there any races similar to Gael Force West this summer? i.e One day events with Hill/Road Running, Biking, Kayaking etc

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

Loads if you're willing to talk to people and form a team. One or two more if you're a determined loner.

Try The Beast of Ballyhoura and its shorter siblings, The ROAR (on achill Island), The Cooley challenge, the Carlingford Lough Endurance Challenge, and any of the CCAR races, and thats just off the top of my head.

They're called Adventure Races, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 John Mac Snax

Thanks Enduro, will check these out

Gonna go for the Cooley Raid in November as also away for the Roar. That should leave enough time to practice the various disciplines.

Has Anyone Done the Cooley Raid before? Is it well organised? Any tips?

It is very well organised. All of the races above generally are. What kind of tips are you looking for?

• Advertisement

Thanks Enduro. I was mainly wondering which type of bike is best suited to the terrain and if there is much navigation reguired. Cheers

I didn't do the Cooley Raid myself last year, so I'm not entirely sure. I would guess, from reading the website, that a mountain bike would be best, and that there would be some degree of navigation required, especially considering the bonus loops. Navigation is nothing to be afraid of though. You've got lots of time to learn.

Advertisement