Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies

• 11-06-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Construction next wednesday 17th.Any tips for the exam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭decster

well. just go over everything. learn your drawings. then you should be fine. construction is an easy subject to learn the theory for. provided you did a decent day practical and project you will have an A1 in the bag.

learn the u-values chart, formula's site safety thats just common sense, planning, just know all your drawings. you can get 2 questions done easy once you have them learned. 1 is mandatory and it is better to do Q2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

ANY predictions for the drawings?

i have not studied the papers for predictions too much yet. im concentrating on physics and dcg right now, but i have noticed on q1 that the section of a floor to 300mm above floor and window detail as far as i can remember,
    higher level drawing questions usually have 2 drawings in the one question.
    usually the q2 is ok. maybe a roof. just go through the exam papers to be sure. im only working off the top of my head.

here. learn the u-values that always comes up. the written questions are fine. drawings are a bit up in the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

decster wrote: »
    i have not studied the papers for predictions too much yet. im concentrating on physics and dcg right now, but i have noticed on q1 that the section of a floor to 300mm above floor and window detail as far as i can remember,
    higher level drawing questions usually have 2 drawings in the one question.
    usually the q2 is ok. maybe a roof. just go through the exam papers to be sure. im only working off the top of my head.

here. learn the u-values that always comes up. the written questions are fine. drawings are a bit up in the air
    anyone have a list of wat drawings come up ...
    rite so ill learn u value site safety foundations and plumbing... really stuck for drawings though .. didn do that many in class

im pretty sorted for the drawings, my teacher made a booklet of all of the drawings we need to learn. its the most valuable piece of theory in construction i have. the rest is easy.
    planning easy,
    u-values grand.
    site safety if it comes up sorted,
    the whole thing is grand.
    once u do 2 drawings u can pick the 3 easiest written q's

i hope site safety comes up.
    remember ppoe.

• Advertisement

im pretty sorted for the drawings, my teacher made a booklet of all of the drawings we need to learn. its the most valuable piece of theory in construction i have. the rest is easy.
    planning easy,
    u-values grand.
    site safety if it comes up sorted,
    the whole thing is grand.
    once u do 2 drawings u can pick the 3 easiest written q's

i hope site safety comes up.
    remember ppoe.
    aw man my teacher was useless ... hes not even a teacher .. a carpenter ha ... wats ppoe????

aw hate that on the teaching front.
    ppoe is personal protective equipment, use it all the time when doin a site safety question.

ya well i got 63% in the pre and that was the highest like ,, 10 ppl failed it haha .. oh cool .. ill keep dat in mind tanx ppoe :D:D

how did all of your projects and day practicals go,.
    i had a class project and folder but dat practical was ok.
    just didn't get it finished to the standard i wanted cos of the time constraint,
    it worked fine though so i think i will get most of 25 %

i got 64 in pre but that was with no study and i have a day off before cons so im pretty sure i'll get my A1

• Advertisement

how did all of your projects and day practicals go,.
    i had a class project and folder but dat practical was ok.
    just didn't get it finished to the standard i wanted cos of the time constraint,
    it worked fine though so i think i will get most of 25 %

ya ours went really well .. our teacher told a few of us that he could see no reason why our projects wouldn get full marks like .. ya i was the same for the practical day test .. i ran outta time too but it was assembled which apparently is most of the marks got like so ya id say ive a good 45% .. drawings are really gona be my downfall tho haven done tec drawing since 1st year

tech drawing is not a real big necessity. once you have learned off tech drawings you are fine, there are guys in my class that have never done td and can do the drawings fine,

hmm well ill be startin my revision in the morning for it an ill start by finding all the drawing in the book ... do you use construction studies today (orange and blue book)

yup.

i hate it .. its the worst book of all my leaving cert books :mad::mad: .. drawings aren great in it except for foundations .. really hope a question on foundations comes up .. its all weve done for two years .. that and plumbing !!
    as regards drawings the ones we ave done are roof, fireplace ,windows, front door and i think we did stairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ahoy!

ye,were using that book aswell. Anyone have any links were U-Values are explained? Ive no clue how to do them as our teacher was useless and the book doesn't explain them very well.

thnx;)...

ya would really like to know some good sites for construction .. theres really not much out there ... no revision books or anytin and exam papers are a disaster:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Mallox wrote: »
    i hate it .. its the worst book of all my leaving cert books :mad::mad: .. drawings aren great in it except for foundations .. really hope a question on foundations comes up .. its all weve done for two years .. that and plumbing !!
    as regards drawings the ones we ave done are roof, fireplace ,windows, front door and i think we did stairs

:D Weve the soundest teacher ever we had to buy that book in 5th year as it was on a book list but first day he made us F**k them in the bin said it was a load of Sh1te.....

we work out of his typed up hand outs and a folder

got A1 in the pre 100% tellin ya thats the only way to learn with a savage teacher

He even came out with us drinkin on our grad nite and bought us a round of pints:p

to learn the u-values question. go onto examinations.ie and get the marking schemes. thay will show you the u values question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

Anyones teacher predicted Q1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

mine said it will ethir be something on the window or the roof....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

Yeah our teacher said the roof aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Secoundrow wrote: »
    :D Weve the soundest teacher ever we had to buy that book in 5th year as it was on a book list but first day he made us F**k them in the bin said it was a load of Sh1te.....

we work out of his typed up hand outs and a folder

got A1 in the pre 100% tellin ya thats the only way to learn with a savage teacher

He even came out with us drinkin on our grad nite and bought us a round of pints:p
    real sound dude so! :D ours was sound lad aswel! we never bought the book, he just let us borrow his one to photocopy pages out in study and got me through - A1;)

My advice is know calculations inside out, there so easy and just marks in the bag really! really if the roof comes up for q1 you couldn ask for nicer really, and also i always found the heating/water system very handy to do aswel so would be worth learning!
    trust me its a very easy exam to do well in if ya keep your head about ya!

ps if ya run out of time on the drawing spec everything! youl get marks for correct measurements but not a great drawing with none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

tips for q1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

mink_man wrote: »
    tips for q1?

how about reading up ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

Does anyone know how much time your supposed to spend on Q1?

think about 20 mins, its about all u need anyway

are any of you here banking on this for an A1? i need an A1 in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

are any of you here banking on this for an A1? i need an A1 in this.

Yeah i Need An A1 in this too.. I Got 91% in the pre, so i should be alright, BTW my teacher has predicted something on roofs to come up for Question 1 aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

20 mins :O i would really want to speed up on them drawings so..

Advertisement