Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

bricky10 wrote: »
    20 mins :O i would really want to speed up on them drawings so..

its 40minutes i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭decster

oh yeah i forgot we only have to do 5 question in total. thats the handy thing about construction

36 mins for each question,
    thats dead handy. im used to only 20 a question with maths and physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

I have a feeling that we could get a Q1 thats something like a Hollowcore 1st floor through a window up to 3 slates roof level cause they normaly make you put two things in a drawing at higher level Eg. Fireplace and suspended timber floor,,,

Then again stairs have never come up as a Q1:p...I can hope
    damn i have to get a A1 in this

Secoundrow wrote: »
    I have a feeling that we could get a Q1 thats something like a Hollowcore 1st floor through a window up to 3 slates roof level cause they normaly make you put two things in a drawing at higher level Eg. Fireplace and suspended timber floor,,,

Then again stairs have never come up as a Q1:p...I can hope
    damn i have to get a A1 in this

we will defo get 2 drawings in one.
    apart from learning the drawings the subject is a breeze.
    its a pure pain learning the drawings,
    does the fireplace come up much.
    i didnt do that with the teacher because of the project.
    how hard is it to learn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

decster wrote: »
    we will defo get 2 drawings in one.
    apart from learning the drawings the subject is a breeze.
    its a pure pain learning the drawings,
    does the fireplace come up much.
    i didnt do that with the teacher because of the project.
    how hard is it to learn

Fire place is grand, very easy to learn. Came up last year so I doubt they will put it up again..
    was on our mocks though!

it was last year grand,
    ill concentrate on floor to roof,
    heating systems piss me off the most,

yeah most of the subject is common sense unless you really have no head for it atall,,
    the only thing that has to be learned is "U" value, Drawings and may be the "psychrometric chart" thingy in condensation and i always found U value easy

but does any one else find you always come up with a slightly different answer in u values everytime you do it,,,

even in class we had this problum:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

Im not doing the U value Q. Has anyone else realised how much Q3 changes over the years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Damien671

phase-3 wrote: »
    Im not doing the U value Q.
    Why?????
    Its not too hard and is almost a certainty to come up
    Well thats just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

phase-3 wrote: »
    Im not doing the U value Q.

ya the u value is a gauranteed question you seriously cant leave it out its handy out sure

Secoundrow wrote: »
    :D Weve the soundest teacher ever we had to buy that book in 5th year as it was on a book list but first day he made us F**k them in the bin said it was a load of Sh1te.....

we work out of his typed up hand outs and a folder

got A1 in the pre 100% tellin ya thats the only way to learn with a savage teacher

He even came out with us drinkin on our grad nite and bought us a round of pints:p

im so jealous :(:( i got 63 or sometin in pre and was highest in class this is so depressing .. i need an A1 in this too cos physics was a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Lads, what;s the story with the slates on a roof? For the first couple it's not 600mm between them is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

we've never done U Values or the last 6 chapters in our book actually... our teacher said there is no point seeing as we "dont even know the stuff he taught us already" He really dislikes my class. we havent done theory since before the mocks eeek.

but yeah the hot and cold water systems seems likely to come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

are they?

its the one bit of advice our teacher has given us.. he made us draw out that a good bit, same with the window and the roof for question 1

Lads, what;s the story with the slates on a roof? For the first couple it's not 600mm between them is it?

I uploaded a scaned copy of a drawin might help yeah:o

scan0002.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Damien671

^^^^^^
    Their tiles not slates
    I think there are three slates which almost completely overlap at the eaves, two smaller ones and a full size one, must check it in my book but it should be in your construction book if you have one.

Heres a link to marking scheme but its not too clear
    http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2007/LC029ALPO00EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

u-values are piss easy!!! anyone that doesnt do them is mad in my opinion! you could prob have easily thought youself too..
    anyway i would do anything for a question1 on windows or roofs.. just not flat roofs!!
    i actually love this subject:D if it wasn for ag-science the day after id finish a very happy man:(

my book makes U Values look really complicated . . our book is useless we were told it barely covers the pass course !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

My predictions for scale drawing: 1. Stairs has never come up as q1 but came up in q7 2008. 2. Flat roof has never come up in q1 and hasn't been on the paper since 2002. 3. Window, First floor and eaves looks likely especially for timber frame as timber frame has never been in q1. My teacher says if you can draw a section from foundation to ridge board for both timber frame and block, suspended timber and concrete floors, stairs and fireplace then your are sorted for at least 2 questions on exam papers. Also wheelchair accessibily has not come up since 2004. Also U value is a dead cert. So this leaves only one question from sound, light, sewage, solar gain, planning, safety and plumbing. By the way avoid essay q 10b at all cost unless a a1 standard in higher english. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

almostover wrote: »
    My predictions for scale drawing: 1. Stairs has never come up as q1 but came up in q7 2008. 2. Flat roof has never come up in q1 and hasn't been on the paper since 2002. 3. Window, First floor and eaves looks likely especially for timber frame as timber frame has never been in q1. My teacher says if you can draw a section from foundation to ridge board for both timber frame and block, suspended timber and concrete floors, stairs and fireplace then your are sorted for at least 2 questions on exam papers. Also wheelchair accessibily has not come up since 2004. Also U value is a dead cert. So this leaves only one question from sound, light, sewage, solar gain, planning, safety and plumbing. By the way avoid essay q 10b at all cost unless a a1 standard in higher english. Hope this helps.

good summery :)

looks like i have the whole course to do tomorrow :p should be doable :P

also whats a ridge board ?

Our teacher told us don't do the question 10 part either in the pre's but I did it and got 55/60. One of the other lads in the class got 60/60.

q.10 is probably one of the easiest questions,
    youre teacher is an idiot if he didn't recommend it. its pretty much common sense.
    so wheelchairs to come up? i hate that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

damn!

at least i have all day on Tuesday to study on the awkward sections

So were most people told the roof would be Question 1 or was it the window and roof?

it will be most likely window along with it,
    in higher level you get two drawings in the one

yay i love wheelchair questions there lovely .. hope one comes up .. also planning plumbing and foundations .. pretty much all we did in two years .. as for the drawing i hope a window or roof comes up otherwise screwed .. need an A1 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

Everyone seems to be banking on U Values..its been up a fair bit, maybe its time it took a break? who knows....

Advertisement