Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thegibbo

Thats gone for some reason, do you have any more links???please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

The Megaupload link seems to be workin now

Thank you very much, what you done is made me pass my test thanks :) Realy you did!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

No predictions from me this time.

What??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

ciano1 wrote: »

You are an absolute legend, love you man:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lads, Im so lost of this test I have no idea what to study:/
    Only thing I can do is U value:/

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Doozer92

i know all the details when drawing anything to do with the subject but ive had problems with fitting all the givin info on the page. for axample one question asked to draw a traditional cut roof measuring 7000mm internal with 45 degree pitch on the roof scale 1:10. i have to include 1 external wall and the full length of a rafter. in the exam would i stick to peices of paper together?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

phase-3 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be banking on U Values..its been up a fair bit, maybe its time it took a break? who knows....

u values insulation a rated homes - all that craic is really really topical in ireland today... there not going to drop the most relevant question in the whole paper this year - and with the green's in government as well...

it'll be there

Does anyone know how to do the uvlaues step by step please??

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Doozer92 wrote: »
    i know all the details when drawing anything to do with the subject but ive had problems with fitting all the givin info on the page. for axample one question asked to draw a traditional cut roof measuring 7000mm internal with 45 degree pitch on the roof scale 1:10. i have to include 1 external wall and the full length of a rafter. in the exam would i stick to peices of paper together?:confused:

Are you sure you have the right size sheet? A2 is the ones we get in the exam I think, otherwise its simple, your just wrong :P

Lads, Im so lost of this test I have no idea what to study:/
    Only thing I can do is U value:/

Any suggestions?

Past papers and then all the answers are in the markiing schemes
    www.examinations.ie

Can anyone help with the u-value???

whoo just taught myself U-values:D if you have a look at marking schemes they're actually fairly simple!

You draw out a table with 5 columns with each of these headings
    1st - Material Element (you'll be given all these, eg cavity, insulation, concrete block inner leaf)
    2nd - Conductivity k (you'll usually be given figures for these in the question too)
    3rd - Resistivity r (you're often given figures for these in the question too, but if not dont worry)
    4th - Thickness T (this is just the thickness of each of your Material Elements, you're usually given these too)
    5th - Resistance R (you are given some of these, & have to work out some others. To work out the Resistance of a Material Element you either divide the Thickness by the Conductivity (T/k) or multiply the Thickness by the Resistivity (T x r) )

To get the U-value you just add up all of the Resistance figures to get R^t. You then divide 1 by that figure & theres your U-value (1/R^t):D

Im pretty sure thats it anyways, but Im open to corrections!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

Hey, what type of pencil am I supposed to use for the scale drawings ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I usually outline in 2h then go over in 2B for definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

ajjmk wrote: »
    whoo just taught myself U-values:D if you have a look at marking schemes they're actually fairly simple!

You draw out a table with 5 columns with each of these headings
    1st - Material Element (you'll be given all these, eg cavity, insulation, concrete block inner leaf)
    2nd - Conductivity k (you'll usually be given figures for these in the question too)
    3rd - Resistivity r (you're often given figures for these in the question too, but if not dont worry)
    4th - Thickness T (this is just the thickness of each of your Material Elements, you're usually given these too)
    5th - Resistance R (you are given some of these, & have to work out some others. To work out the Resistance of a Material Element you either divide the Thickness by the Conductivity (T/k) or multiply the Thickness by the Resistivity (T x r) )

To get the U-value you just add up all of the Resistance figures to get R^t. You then divide 1 by that figure & theres your U-value (1/R^t):D

Im pretty sure thats it anyways, but Im open to corrections!

Right, But thats only one part of a usual three part question. :)

Damn :P
    Well umm...oh I can do annual heat loss too! It's;
    U-value x Area (given this) x Temperature Difference (subtract the 2 temperatures given)

Then to get the kilo jouled used it's;
    [60 x 60 (heating period in seconds) x Heat Loss] (what you got when you worked out the above) ÷ 1000
    You then divide that answer by the Calorific value of oil, which you're given. Then you multiply your answer by the cost of oil per litre, which you're given too!

& thats all I know.. :P

ajjmk wrote: »
    Damn :P
    Well umm...oh I can do annual heat loss too! It's;
    U-value x Area (given this) x Temperature Difference (subtract the 2 temperatures given)

Then to get the kilo jouled used it's;
    [60 x 60 (heating period in seconds) x Heat Loss] (what you got when you worked out the above) ÷ 1000
    You then divide that answer by the Calorific value of oil, which you're given. Then you multiply your answer by the cost of oil per litre, which you're given too!

& thats all I know.. :P

Thats all I know in the whole paper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManUtdFan10

Thats all I know in the whole paper!

That's all I know too..... high five!!

That's all I know too..... high five!!

Finally! At least he examinor wont only have 1 crap paper to correct:) The rest I'll be bluffing, then legging it home for the England match:D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

Any last predictions for Q1 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManUtdFan10

The rest I'll be bluffing, then legging it home for the England match:D

Its like you can read my mind.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ChristianLC

I've this exam now in about an hour. Don't have much prep done for it at all but I reckon I'll get a pass. I'm not too bothered to be honest because I can see myself repeating the LC next year in anyways.

Advertisement