Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croom Exchange enabled

Options
  • 11-06-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

BT guy arrived at my door Saturday to tell me Croom exchange had been enabled on the previous Wednesday.

As he arrived I was saying good bye (actually not that polite) to the installers of the Third wireless provider who failed to deliver and were removing their equipment.

I have stated here previously that for various reasons I will not give Eircom any business and was actually in the process of getting my phone disconnected.

Now I have taken BT phone and broadband package (used them previously found them great). Should be gone through in another week and will then finally have broadband 4 years after Eircom first told me it would be installed by the end of the quarter.

It will feel good to be reconnected to the world.

On a side note, despite being registered with Broadband Atoz, ringing Eircom on a monthly basis for 3 and a half years for updates and having my interest registered I still have not been told by eircom that the exchange is enabled. Guess they dont want the business.

All my neighbours are also moving to BT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually BT may not make any money as eircom get most of it. :)

I thought BT was pulling out of retail DSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

knipex wrote: »
    BT guy arrived at my door Saturday to tell me Croom exchange had been enabled on the previous Wednesday.

As he arrived I was saying good bye (actually not that polite) to the installers of the Third wireless provider who failed to deliver and were removing their equipment.

I have stated here previously that for various reasons I will not give Eircom any business and was actually in the process of getting my phone disconnected.

Now I have taken BT phone and broadband package (used them previously found them great). Should be gone through in another week and will then finally have broadband 4 years after Eircom first told me it would be installed by the end of the quarter.

It will feel good to be reconnected to the world.

On a side note, despite being registered with Broadband Atoz, ringing Eircom on a monthly basis for 3 and a half years for updates and having my interest registered I still have not been told by eircom that the exchange is enabled. Guess they dont want the business.

All my neighbours are also moving to BT.

Eircom have to give the other operators a head start in new exchange areas I believe. Competition rules or something. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

watty wrote: »
    Actually BT may not make any money as eircom get most of it. :)

I thought BT was pulling out of retail DSL?

Still makes me feel better giving my money to someone other than eircom.

I also thought BT were pulling out but apparently not. the sales guy signed up a good few contracts on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Rahan exchange has been enabled too. Getting hounded by the auld fella to find him a bundle as the line passed.

My line was activated on Friday (less than a week after placing the order) (OK the modem has not arrived yet but I don't intend on using it anyway and installed a wireless router \ modem).

Set up and working fine by 8pm on Friday.

Feels great to be back online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

Be interesting to see what the quality is going to be 4 miles from the exchange. The 3G service from 3 has got worse and worse over the last few months and a new modem from them did little to help. I've sined up with a cable service provider and if they can deliver service, the 3 modem is going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

4mile = 6.4km
    Hmm... Maybe 1Mbps on DSL. However if exchange backhaul is OK, it should be near that all the time with better than 60ms latency. None of the 50k, 100k, 200k, 400k 700k + random disconnections and 120ms to 2000ms of 3G.

watty wrote: »
    4mile = 6.4km
    Hmm... Maybe 1Mbps on DSL. However if exchange backhaul is OK, it should be near that all the time with better than 60ms latency. None of the 50k, 100k, 200k, 400k 700k + random disconnections and 120ms to 2000ms of 3G.

Thanks Watty, I'll keep you posted on my progress. I've signed up for a 3Meg package. I'd be very happy with 1Mbps just so long as it was constant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's a bad idea. At 4 miles, the local eircom linesman will probably put you on 1mbit, reach extended profile. Regardless of what you ordered, as that's the maximum they'll feel your line will support.

A neighbour signed up to the 2 mbit package almost 2 years ago, not long after the range was extended out to 5 miles. They're at 4 and a bit miles. Even though they're paying for (now) 3 mbits, their modem is connected at 1024/128 with high interleaving, same as ours.

It's possible that you will be put on 3mbits, but you will surely not be able to get that speed, and you will be liable to disconnects. The modem will connect at max speed, leaving no room for errors. As soon as large electrical noise (lightning, dodgy sparkplugs in engines, bad sodium lights switched on etc.) comes along, you'll lose your connection for a minute or two. Goodbye Service Pack install package.

Your modem, when it comes, might say your attenuation is in the mid-50s. It probably isn't correct. My own attenuation is 78dB, but the modem reports 53.5dB. Same with the neighbours. 55dB when it's 80dB. And another line is about 72dB and was a "may be suitable line". The modem reports 53dB. (Netopia 2247 btw)

Sure let us know how the order goes. If it does work out, maybe I'll try upgrading myself! The worst that can happen is you'll have to change it back to 1 mbit. God loves a tryer and all that.

Got a letter yesterday to phone Pearlico. Must say I did fing their customer service polite and helpful. Anyway, line is not good enough for 3meg, they are checking to see if 1 meg is an option and this I should know tomorrow.

• Advertisement

fkearney wrote: »
    Got a letter yesterday to phone Pearlico. Must say I did fing their customer service polite and helpful. Anyway, line is not good enough for 3meg, they are checking to see if 1 meg is an option and this I should know tomorrow.

There has to be an easier way. After many calls and the usual run arounds, no modem and no broadband. Phoned them Friday to quit the service (which they never delivered). Its back to 3G for a while longer :(

I signed with BT on a Saturday. Line was up on the following Wednesday and the modem arrived the Tuesday. As I was using my own modem \ router I was up and runnign on Wednesday with no issues. Am just under 3Km from the exchange by road (much less as the crow flies).

I was having random lockups and disconnects but a firware upgrade ont eh router fixed that. Since then no issues at all.

Works perfectly getting over 2mb connection speeds.

Advertisement