Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT - will small hole in Rear brake light cause Fail ?

• 11-06-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My car has the NCT test this evening and I just found a very small hole in 1 of the Rear brake lights, it's about 9mm square.

Dont have time now to source a replacement .. suppose I could try to superglue some red plastic onto it, or cover the small hole with some red insulation tape?

Do ye think this would cause a Fail ?

Found this pdf on the NCT website
    http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf
    REAR LAMPS AND REGISTRATION PLATE LAMPS
    Method of Testing
    1. Check that two lamps are fitted symmetrically to the rear of the vehicle.
    2. Check that each rear lamp when in use provides a red light which is clearly visible.
    3. Check that the registration number plate lamp(s) shows a white light and is operating effectively.
    Rear Lamps (1) Not working or faulty.
    (2) Missing or not clearly visible.
    (3) Not red in colour.
    (4) Lens broken or missing.
    (5) Not of the same dimensions and intensity.
    (6) Insecurely mounted.
    (7) Not fitted symmetrically.
    (8) Contains water / moisture.
    Registration Plate Lamp (9) Not working, faulty or not fitted.
    (10) Not white in colour.
    (11) Lens missing or broken.
    (12) Showing white light to rear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If they fail it, it'll be a visual inspection on recall I think (?) So may not be a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yes, Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

thanks. Guess I'll have to try to glue some red plastic to it + hope for the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I failed on a small hole and crack in the rear lens. It is only a visual inspection so there will be no charge for a re-test.
    There had always been abit of dampness in the boot on one side and when i changed the lens- problem fixed! So im glad it failed on it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Brakelight fluid has probably leaked out aswell, you'll need to pick up a bottle of that and refill the light before the retest. If the level's too low it can cause the bulb to burn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Dartz wrote: »
    Brakelight fluid

WTF???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOLZ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Dartz wrote: »
    Brakelight fluid has probably leaked out aswell, you'll need to pick up a bottle of that and refill the light before the retest. If the level's too low it can cause the bulb to burn out.
    No need to be a smartass

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Girlfriends Car passed at christmas and had fairly big piece missing from front indicator lens.

thanks again. I'll let ye know how it goes anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Girlfriends Car passed at christmas and had fairly big piece missing from front indicator lens.

The moral being; if you dont change the lens, then change your sex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Lens repair tape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have seen all sorts of bottles and lenses glued on.

As long as it looks ok and is water tight I would be ok with it. Saying that, get a thick enough gent in the NCT whose wife burnt his toast that morning and he might just take it out on you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Mine failed the NCT,and had a few jobs to be sorted. All done as of yesterday and applied for a re-test today. Was told I would have to ring up at 8am every day to see if there was a cancellation time available or if I could not get one by 20/6, I would have to re-book the full test and pay accordingy.
    Banana Republic

Slidey wrote: »
    I have seen all sorts of bottles and lenses glued on.

As long as it looks ok and is water tight I would be ok with it. Saying that, get a thick enough gent in the NCT whose wife burnt his toast that morning and he might just take it out on you!
    Car passed the test anyway with no mention of my repair job!
    I superglued a bit of broken red plastic from an old bicycle lamp, so the lens was completely sealed, tidy enough job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

oldyouth wrote: »
    Mine failed the NCT,and had a few jobs to be sorted. All done as of yesterday and applied for a re-test today. Was told I would have to ring up at 8am every day to see if there was a cancellation time available or if I could not get one by 20/6, I would have to re-book the full test and pay accordingy.
    Banana Republic
    That sounds very weird, I got a retest booking on the spot when my car failed on one item. How long after the test did you apply for the retest?

Advertisement