Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending a Lease early

Options
  • 11-06-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi

Hoping someone will help / advise.

I moved down to Galway in March on a 6 month term.

I've just been told that I need to move back to Dublin end of this month.

I took out a 6 month lease with another guy beginning of April.

We have paid the first 3 months up until end of June.

I am now obviously hoping to terminate the contract on my side.

I'll have rent etc to pay in Dublin.

What can I do re this.

I'm going to let the letting agency know this afternoon.

Have I to give one months notice? I'm aware I'll probably lose my deposit.

Will the other guy be able to continue the lease paying just his half?

I have also put an ad up on Daft in the hope of finding someone as I don't want to leave anyone in the sh*t.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

can you not read the thread directly below this about breaking a lease ?

legally you are libel for the full abount of rent due on the lease unless there is a break clause (check your contract but i doubt there is one)

however if you can find somebody to sublet you can leave and pass the lease on. If they landlord refuses this then you can legally break the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Who told you you have to go back to Dublin? Did you move to Galway for a job? Perhaps they could pay relocation expenses to cover the remainder of the lease. Especially if they told you you would be in Galway for 6 months!

Advertisement