Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ETag loyalty cards issued by Centra in Ennis.

• 11-06-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I got quite a surprise to see Centra on the Gort road issuing out electronic RFID based key fob loyalty cards. Simply attach it to your key ring, at the cash register it is touched off a pad.

This is a first that I have seen for this technology in a supermarket and I am surprised that the larger retail chains like Tesco and Dunnes did not beet them to it.

This is just an example of how these devices will disclose your whole life style unknowingly as you go shopping. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx7kPgtvM8s

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Given that it needs to be touched off a pad, one can surmise that its effective range is in teh order of cm, if not less.

Thus, it exposes about as much of your lifestyle as an "old-fashioned" barcode-based loyalty-card did, and less then frequently paying by plastic does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

most musgraves shops have them now (supervalu & centra).
    you don't collect stamps for getaway breaks anymore, they just go onto that card. pretty annoying as i used to always take the stamps from work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But that video has nothing to do with the Rfid tag you're describing.

And what evidence to you have to suggest that your shopping habit or your "whole lifestyle"? Or that any information that this rfid tag might store will be shared with anyone?

Or is this just an irrational fear of rfid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bonkey wrote: »
    Given that it needs to be touched off a pad, one can surmise that its effective range is in teh order of cm, if not less.

Thus, it exposes about as much of your lifestyle as an "old-fashioned" barcode-based loyalty-card did, and less then frequently paying by plastic does.

Those tags work off a passive RFID 13.56 MHZ frequency, similar to transit smart cards, the effective range can be several feet given the right equipment, the range of the scanners used by supermarket chains as you say may only be a few milimeters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

why oh why is this a CT.... nothing new here over the barcode ones...
    do the exact same job...
    or is how many litres of milk I buy a threat to national security....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Spar man myself. Particularly fond or their crunchy muesli...
    I suppose you always have the choice to not get a centra loyalty card if you are afraid of big brother watching what you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

What's Centra conspiring to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

robtri wrote: »
    do the exact same job...

Don't you know that Hitler used the barcode on people in nazi germany , do you not realise that the NWO are trying to train us to pass our hands over the scanner , this is very serious .:(

robtri wrote: »
    do the exact same job...
    I think we can now accept that Barcodes, RFID, Etagging all reside in the CT Forum, at least where it will all lead up to. :p
    What's Centra conspiring to do?
    Record all your purchasing habits on a database. :pac:

espinolman wrote: »
    Don't you know that Hitler used the barcode on people in nazi germany ,
    No he didn't. Shows how much you know.
    do you not see that they are trying to train us to pass our hands over the scanner , this is very serious , it is not a joke .:(
    By giving us a optional promotion to win a prize in which no personal information is gathered stored or used?
    Yea that's the exact same as mandatory rfid tags.

• Advertisement

Record all your purchasing habits on a database. :pac:
    You going to back that up?
    OR are you just making stuff up as usual?

King Mob wrote: »
    No he didn't. Shows how much you know.

No , shows how much you know .

Now it was a similar technology , ok today it is more advanced but basically the same idea .

IBM and the holocaust
    http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/

No , shows how much you know .:D

Now it was a similar technology , ok today it is more advanced but basically the same idea .

IBM and the holocaust
    http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/
    Well considering the Bar code wasn't patented till 1949.
    And that the Nazi's used something completely different entirely.

I don't think you can say they used bar codes.

Also there's a huge difference between the system used on the jews is completely different to how bar codes are used now.
    And it's even more different than what Rtdh is exaggerating.

In fact, bringing the holocaust up has nothing to do with what we're talking about at all.

Well considering the Bar code wasn't patented till 1949.
    And that the Nazi's used something completely different entirely.

I don't think you can say they used bar codes.
    Ok , but it was similar.
    Also there's a huge difference between the system used on the jews is completely different to how bar codes are used now.
    Oh , nice , did you slip up there , you wrote " to how bar codes are used now " :p

In fact, bringing the holocaust up has nothing to do with what we're talking about at all.
    Am i on the wrong forum ? I thought this was the conspiracy theories forum !

Ok , but it was similar.
    But not like it's used now.
    One was a involuntary system to track people of a certain race to take away their freedom. While the other is a voluntary system to make moving, storing and buying products easier.
    You can see the difference right?
    Oh , nice , did you slip up there , you wrote " to how bar codes are used now " :p
    And I differentiated it from the system that was used on the Jews.
    Am i on the wrong forum ? I thought this was the conspiracy theories forum !
    So yep comparing the holocaust to a prize draw in Centra is about par for the course in here.

I don't need to, you should know already about EU Data retention. 2 years.

I don't need to, you should know already about EU Data retention. 2 years.
    And how do you know that this prize draw falls under that law?
    Or that it actually store any data on what you purchase?
    Or that they ever look at that information if it's stored at all?

And what's forcing you to actually use this at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Have you not seen the prizes?

3 piece luggage set
    Carriage clock
    & a chest of drawers.

Have you not seen the prizes?

3 piece luggage set
    Carriage clock
    & a chest of drawers.

See , they don't need to make it mandatory , people will fall over themselves to get it .
    Ah don't you see , they are using the carrot on a stick technique to bring in RFID .

Wouldn't you use one of these devices if you can get a latte and a dough-nut for e2.50 instead of e2.70, they also use the same discounting scam with the Eazipas Westlink toll plaza and Oyster to win customers over to this invasive technology.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't you use one of these devices if you can get a latte and a dough-nut for e2.50 instead of e2.70, they also use the same discounting scam with the Eazipas Westlink toll plaza and Oyster to win customers over to this invasive technology.

How is it a scam exactly?
    And it's still not mandatory.

And you going to address any of my other points?
    Or back up any of your claims?

See , they don't need to make it mandatory , people will fall over themselves to get it .
    Ah don't you see , they are using the carrot on a stick technique to bring in RFID .

But there's a bit of difference between the scenario Rtdh is making up and this promotion isn't there?

One if a ridiculous claim that they will monitor everything about your life. The other is a completely voluntary tag that keeps count of how tokens you have.

But there's a bit of difference between the scenario Rtdh is making up and this promotion isn't there?
    RFID is being brought in incrementally .

One if a ridiculous claim that they will monitor everything about your life. The other is a completely voluntary tag that keeps count of how tokens you have.
    They will monitor every detail of who ever is gullible enough to use them. Particularly when cash is tight, more and more people will turn to what ever will save them a few bob at the end of fthe week, Loyalty cards being one of them. May be voluntary, so was the option to using Oyster when it came out, now 80% + of London commuters now use registered smart cards. And all their movements are monitored just like your purchasing habits are when you use any sort of registered loyalty card. :rolleyes:

Another interesting thing, these electronic loyalt cards are key fob, in other words less chance of forgetting it.

They will monitor every detail of who ever is gullible enough to use them. Particularly when cash is tight, more and more people will turn to what ever will save them a few bob at the end of fthe week, Loyalty cards being one of them. May be voluntary, so was the option to using Oyster when it came out, now 80% + of London commuters now use registered smart cards. And all their movements are monitored just like your purchasing habits are when you use any sort of registered loyalty card. :rolleyes:

Another interesting thing, these electronic loyalt cards are key fob, in other words less chance of forgetting it.

So that's a no on the rest of the points then?

What evidence do you have that the promotion in Centra tracks any personal information at all?
    Or are you just making it because there RFID involved?

RFID is being brought in incrementally .

So Centra is part of the NWO/Lizards now?

But really who isn't at this stage?

So that's a no on the rest of the points then?

What evidence do you have that the promotion in Centra tracks any personal information at all?
    Or are you just making it because there RFID involved?
    I already explained myself, under the retention of data act, Centra are obliged to hold digital records for up to two years irrespective of method they use for scanning whether its barcode, magnetic strip or RFID, once they hold details on an individual and store them over a network. These records can be accessed by the relevant authorities should they be required.

The bodies which are able to access retained data in the United Kingdom are listed in the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA). The EU would not be too far behind.

Police forces (as defined in section 81(1) of RIPA)
    National Criminal Intelligence Service
    National Crime Squad
    HM Customs and Excise
    Inland Revenue
    Security Service
    Secret Intelligence Service
    Government Communications Headquarters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I already explained myself, under the retention of data act, Centra are obliged to hold digital records for up to two years irrespective of method they use for scanning whether its barcode, magnetic strip or RFID, once they hold details on an individual and store them over a network. These records can be accessed by the relevant authorities should they be required.
    I was under the impression that the data retention act specifies that they can only keep the data for 2 years, not that they must keep it for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

According to that wikipedia link you posted
    The Directive as adopted covers fixed telephony, mobile telephony, Internet access, Internet email and Internet telephony.

It applies to telecoms operators and ISPs, I don't see any mention of commercial retailers like Centra being required to hold on to data on what their customers have purchased.

If you don't want a loyalty card don't get one granted I'm not sure if I'd care if Centra were recording my preference for Benson & Hedges and bottles of coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Record all your purchasing habits on a database.

When you use loyalty card in a shop these days all your purchases are logged. You can even pinpoint when a customer has stopped buying an item he or she used to buy on a regular basis.

I watched a presentation about a year ago on one of these systems, and the amount of information collected was amazing. Apart from the info the customer gives, their buying habits could be broken down into groups of product, whether a customer preferred branded or own brand goods, what time of day they were most likely to be in the store, did they shop in the most profitable part of the store etc.etc.

It was suggested that the information be used to improve customer service and so lead to more loyal customers.

There's information alright, lots of it, and it includes buying habits ... right down to times of day and what gum you favour.

The bodies which are able to access retained data in the United Kingdom are listed in the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA). The EU would not be too far behind.

Police forces (as defined in section 81(1) of RIPA)
    National Criminal Intelligence Service
    National Crime Squad
    HM Customs and Excise
    Inland Revenue
    Security Service
    Secret Intelligence Service
    Government Communications Headquarters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention

Again how do you know that any personal data is actually stored on these chips?

And how do you know that any data collected for it will ever be used for anything other than the prize?

And why are you quoting an act for the UK?
    And why are you quoting an act that doesn't apply to the prize draw in Centra?

Only reason I can see is to try and make this little Centra etag scarier.
    Isn't that fear mongering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

DubTony wrote: »
    When you use loyalty card in a shop these days all your purchases are logged. You can even pinpoint when a customer has stopped buying an item he or she used to buy on a regular basis.

I watched a presentation about a year ago on one of these systems, and the amount of information collected was amazing. Apart from the info the customer gives, their buying habits could be broken down into groups of product, whether a customer preferred branded or own brand goods, what time of day they were most likely to be in the store, did they shop in the most profitable part of the store etc.etc.

It was suggested that the information be used to improve customer service and so lead to more loyal customers.

There's information alright, lots of it, and it includes buying habits ... right down to times of day and what gum you favour.

So the only people who would be interested in any of this information... is Centra. I'm sure it gathers lots of information. But that information can't be used for anything other than collating information about what customers buy, when they buy them etc, quicker than other methods. If you by something, information about it gets recorded. They already know what type of gum the majority of people favour. they don't give a flying monkey what type of gum any one person favours. How does that information benefit anyone?

Again how do you know that any personal data is actually stored on these chips?

And how do you know that any data collected for it will ever be used for anything other than the prize?
    Data from any loyalty card is used for research from suppliers as to what spending habits of their customers. People on these cards have also complained about spam and junk mail forwarded.
    And why are you quoting an act for the UK?
    I quoted the UK because it is one of the leading nations in surveylance and privacy invasion, the rest of the EU which is rapidly following suit.
    And why are you quoting an act that doesn't apply to the prize draw in Centra?
    The prize draw is a carrot used by Centra to get gullible customers to subscribe.
    Only reason I can see is to try and make this little Centra etag scarier.
    Isn't that fear mongering?
    Yes, eventually customers will be lining up at Tesco, Lidl and Aldi to get their loyalty verichips implanted. :rolleyes:

Data from any loyalty card is used for research from suppliers as to what spending habits of their customers. People on these cards have also complained about spam and junk mail forwarded
    And how do you know this applies to the one in centra?
    How do you know that they'll send any information to anyone?
    And have you any evidence that the centra one (or any one) will lead to junk mail or are you make that up as well?
    I quoted the UK because it is one of the leading nations in surveylance and privacy invasion, the rest of the EU which is rapidly following suit.
    But that law does apply here? Why bring it up?
    It looks like an attempt on your part to deliberately mislead people.
    The prize draw is a carrot used by Centra to get gullible customers to subscribe.
    But the law you quoted does not cover loyalty cards or anything similar. Again an attempt to mislead people.
    Yes, eventually customers will be lining up at Tesco, Lidl and Aldi to get their loyalty verichips implanted. :rolleyes:
    So you finally admit that you're scaremongering?

Alot of claims here but nothing to support them and a couple of lies to boot.
    Way to fight for the truth there Rtdh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

I own a Centra not the one talked about here and do you wann know how it works?

Obviously its a data storage system.

the customer has to register with their name address etc only the basic required.

They get a fob and its on a key ring as whats the one thing you always have on you in the supermarket? it is your keys not always your wallet.

The data that the customer provides is stored on a non networked PC(stand alone) and then their shopping habits are also stored.

Their personal info is stored under the data protection act which basically means I cant give it to anyone no matter for what reason. An example I use with my staff is that if their own mother lost her phone and needed to get their sons/daughters number from me then I cannot give it out.

Their shopping habits are stored for 5 weeks (roughly) and using this info retailers can target a certain promotion for certain shoppers ie families, singletons etc. outside the Centra system because the loyalty scheme is not rolled out across the company. Also it can be used as an method of collecting the stamps, entries for draws but all method to get you back into the store to spend money.

Suppliers will not and do not get the information. As for junk mail its the same. There are some companies out there you do sell on your details but its in the very small print that you sign that allows the company to pass the info on. Nothing CT about that.

RTDH while in the UK they may have the authority and actuall do it they dont here. Im currently investigating the system for my store and I would be happy for you to come with me on a store visit to see on of them in action some time soon.

Or am I in on the CT too???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I would be happy for you to come with me on a store visit to see on of them in action some time soon.

WOO-HOO!! CT FORUM ROAD TRIP! :D

Seriously though, thats pretty interesting. I suppose as with anything, its all about reading the fine print in whatever you sign, be it an application for a loyalty card or one of these tags.

WOO-HOO!! CT FORUM ROAD TRIP! :D

roflmao, why not? big gang of us turn up to see how it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

At least it wasn't in Dundalk then we'd have Jim Corr talking about it.

I own a Centra not the one talked about here and do you wann know how it works?

Obviously its a data storage system.

the customer has to register with their name address etc only the basic required.

They get a fob and its on a key ring as whats the one thing you always have on you in the supermarket? it is your keys not always your wallet.

The data that the customer provides is stored on a non networked PC(stand alone) and then their shopping habits are also stored.

Their personal info is stored under the data protection act which basically means I cant give it to anyone no matter for what reason. An example I use with my staff is that if their own mother lost her phone and needed to get their sons/daughters number from me then I cannot give it out.

Their shopping habits are stored for 5 weeks (roughly) and using this info retailers can target a certain promotion for certain shoppers ie families, singletons etc. outside the Centra system because the loyalty scheme is not rolled out across the company. Also it can be used as an method of collecting the stamps, entries for draws but all method to get you back into the store to spend money.

Suppliers will not and do not get the information. As for junk mail its the same. There are some companies out there you do sell on your details but its in the very small print that you sign that allows the company to pass the info on. Nothing CT about that.

RTDH while in the UK they may have the authority and actual do it they dont here. I'm currently investigating the system for my store and I would be happy for you to come with me on a store visit to see on of them in action some time soon.

Or am I in on the CT too???
    I am sure if there was a murder investigation involving a product sold exclusively at Centra detectives would be very quick to call up to a local branch and request for records from that store which would include loyalty and all credit card statements to narrow down the search.

A number of years ago there was a serial arsonist in Seattle that was caught out when detectives traced a foot print to a particular shoe and then to the chain that sold them, they also matched Visa statements to gas/petrol sold close to proximity of where fires were located. This was back in the early 90ies before loyalty cards and the wide spread use of the EFT system.

With registered transit smart cards along with ANPR, loyalt cards of any description our day to day movements are becoming a lot more transparent.

How long will it take before these loyalt cards merge so you do not need to be carrying a wad of them? I spend alot of time in Ennis Limerick and Dublin, If I had half a dozen Centra fobs and several tesco fobs I could imagine the confusion that this would cause to both myself and the system if they were all attached to my car keys.

We could possibly see some transit company or service station decide to team up with Centra or Tesco and offer bonus points for the combined use of these cards.

I am sure if there was a murder investigation involving a product sold exclusively at Centra detectives would be very quick to call up to a local branch and request for records from that store which would include loyalty and all credit card statements to narrow down the search.

A number of years ago there was a serial arsonist in Seattle that was caught out when detectives traced a foot print to a particular shoe and then to the chain that sold them, they also matched Visa statements to gas/petrol sold close to proximity of where fires were located. This was back in the early 90ies before loyalty cards and the wide spread use of the EFT system.
    That poor poor arsonist having his privacy violated.
    But doesn't the Data protection act that gerrycolins say this info is under mean that they can't give it out to the Garda?
    With registered transit smart cards along with ANPR, loyalt cards of any description our day to day movements are becoming a lot more transparent.
    So all centra owners are in on the plot? Those fiends!
    How long will it take before these loyalt cards merge so you do not need to be carrying a wad of them? I spend alot of time in Ennis Limerick and Dublin, If I had half a dozen Centra fobs and several tesco fobs I could imagine the confusion that this would cause to both myself and the system if they were all attached to my car keys.

We could possibly see some transit company or service station decide to team up with Centra or Tesco and offer bonus points for the combined use of these cards.
    Yea it's disgraceful how they force you to carry all those fobs.
    Oh wait they don't.

• Advertisement

sorry mate but thats a bit off the wall.

The reference to the arsonist you use conveys good police work and at no time did the shop divluge info of any sorts(i can only summerise from your short note)

the guards would actually obtain the info about his credit cards from the banks and what terminals they were used at.

currently you only need one fob per tesco and dunnes and the Centra ones are on a local level so you would be a bit odd signing up for them around the country

the combo of retailers already happen between argos,maxol and superquinn so its nothing new, i can only guess that they used a centralise company to control them and if you were not happy with the paper work and its contents nobody is forcing you to sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

So law enforcement agencies have this capability already. What will these Etags do to worsen the situation?

Undergod wrote: »
    So law enforcement agencies have this capability already. What will these Etags do to worsen the situation?
    Etags are a nasty piece of kit in that they omit a signal that can be scanned from the holder unknowingly by hackers including the authorities. Various demonstrations on UTube can show the flaws of this technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmajlKJlT3U

RTDH

I have no doubts about the youtube video etc but the tags do not carry information like your credit card.

you need to access the main pc to link up the tag number with the file of that particular person

RTDH

I have no doubts about the youtube video etc but the tags do not carry information like your credit card.

you need to access the main pc to link up the tag number with the file of that particular person
    Etags contain unseen data, unlike cards with your name embossed on them, it is the unknown and the fact that data can be scanned from a distance even when concealed that I don't like about them, I'm not sure what details are contained on which Etags, Example, not too long ago the registration details and times of passing the gantry were mistakingly posted on the Westlink website fromthose that were using Easyflow etags.

I requested a print out of my registered Oystercard last year, every tube, bus and rail journey I made in the previous two months appeared, this is deceiving because looking at the card itself its just a bit of blue plastic. I wouldn't trust the security of data on any etag as far as I would throw it particularly if hand held scanners can be bought on Ebay for buttons.

Etags contain unseen data, unlike cards with your name embossed on them, it is the unknown and the fact that data can be scanned from a distance even when concealed that I don't like about them, I'm not sure what details are contained on which Etags, Example, not too long ago the registration details and times of passing the gantry were mistakingly posted on the Westlink website fromthose that were using Easyflow etags.

I requested a print out of my registered Oystercard last year, every tube, bus and rail journey I made in the previous two months appeared, this is deceiving because looking at the card itself its just a bit of blue plastic. I wouldn't trust the security of data on any etag as far as I would throw it particularly if hand held scanners can be bought on Ebay for buttons.

ok well i can only speak for the tages mentioned by the OP and not any others.

your request for your oyster card info would be no different than requesting a credit card statement from your bank.

However it was a computer print off. You gave your name and details no doubt and they matched it to a fob on thier system and took the data from that.

What would be interesting would be if these hand held scanners could give the same info from your oyster card. Personally I dont think they could because the fob its self contains no information unlike the credit card in the you tube clip.

ok well i can only speak for the tages mentioned by the OP and not any others.

your request for your oyster card info would be no different than requesting a credit card statement from your bank.

However it was a computer print off. You gave your name and details no doubt and they matched it to a fob on their system and took the data from that.

What would be interesting would be if these hand held scanners could give the same info from your oyster card. Personally I don't think they could because the fob its self contains no information unlike the credit card in the you tube clip.
    The fob just like any credit or Oyster card contains a digitalized number, given to the right person it could access all your spending habits. I am sure in time to come when more of this technology gets integrated your fob, smart cards etc could be inspected by the authorities who by law could access these dtalis. IE if you bought etagged alcohol or cigarettes that fell into the hands of a minor. Nothing surprises me where all this wonderful technology is heading, we are already rapidly losing our our civil liberties with current and upcoming EU regulations, all in the name of "fighting crime and terror"

Also With so many unemployed across the globe and with the crime rate on the rise it will only be a matter of time before the authorities will want to know exactly what everyone is doing for a living, their spending habits, etc etc. Etagging consumer products will also assist and make this whole job a doddle. In the near future they will be able to trace disgarded packaging to the person that bought it if they find it illegally dumped. Unlike bar coding Etagging can be programmed to give every single consumer product its individual identity IE where, when and who purchaced it.

The authorities will do anything to find out about a persons profile if the suspect unlawful activity, it is a known fact that social networking sites are a good give away, IE Twitter, Utube, Facebook etc, These loyalty fobs are no different, from them they can gather information on the books, newspapers, magazines that you are interested in. You are giving away to third party your personal spending habits, the carrot being spot prizes and a discount on fuel and groceries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Store Loyalty cards (using stripe or barcode) are an evil invasion of privacy. They bribe people with "points" but the real reason is to build purchasing profile of all the customers.

Under the data protection act the information should not go to 3rd parties. But how well is that policed in Ireland (not at all is my guess).

The data commissioner does act if items are highlighted (the Sky attempt to sell off customer info requiring an active opt out than opt in is example squashed by them).

If the RFID only has a unique serial number, then it's no worse. If they stupidly store more stuff (Why? Stupid as they need a database for it to be any use), then there is additional risk as with the right gear you can read an RFID at the other side of street or even from inside another building.

There is NO need for RFID in any user carried card. It's not a secure technology. It's a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist and organisations are getting conned into adopting it. The only thing that should EVER be stored on it is a unique serial number.

The reading station should require even that to be unlocked by PIN.

RFID was developed as a non-contact alternative to barcode for Warehouse / baggage routing applications. It was never designed to be secure, and will always be a lot more expensive on groceries than a barcode.

Barcoded groceries can be innocent enough. I've designed and deployed barcode systems both for document tracking/archival and stock control.

The issue with Centra is not primarily with RFID (if they only have your User code for database lookup stored as that number is no use to anyone), but with ALL shops that introduce these (Tesco, Homebase, Dunne, Centra etc.) no matter what technology is used.

There is insufficient safeguards and regulation. While the information may enable a retailer to offer you a better service, I think in the long run it would reduce the range of products. Ordinary stock control via checkout should be enough.

I think all these privacy invading / tracking systems should be illegal. Certainly most people don't realize what they are giving away for a tiny percent discount.

As an absolute minimum the law should insist that all Chip, stripe, barcode and RFID cards ONLY store a Unique Database specific code that ensures that someone without the back end database has only got a meaningless number. The USA stupidly uses Social Services Number as lookup. Even if a databas has that, the public key/code /card shouldf never ever contain it. Each operators database can generate a meaningless unique number that has no meaning to any other database.

There is no need ever to store anything else on any carried card system. It is a serious design flaw storing ANY additional information.

I have decided to use my new Ennis Centra Etag as a keyring for my scoot, but first I had to "kill" off the transmitting bug by placing it in the microwave for a few seconds. This will prevent any unauthorized theft of my personal information and will protect my civil liberties. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

How do you know it worked?

• Advertisement
Advertisement