Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Defy 4 - Whats replacing it?

• 11-06-2009 2:16pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys
    Went to buy a Giant Defy 4 there and it seems they are sold out every where.

The guys in the shop were trying to sell me a Roma Viking bike for 30 euro less but I said I would ask on here first.

Also they told me that at 5ft 11" that an XL Giant (off site, Sizes: XS (43cm) S (46.5cm), M (50cm), L (55.5cm) XL (58.5cm)) was too big.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Never trust a Roma Viking.*

* Don't know anything about the bike.
    yop wrote: »
    Guys

The guys in the shop were trying to sell me a Roma Viking bike for 30 euro less but I said I would ask on here first.

Also they told me that at 5ft 11" that an XL Giant (off site, Sizes: XS (43cm) S (46.5cm), M (50cm), L (55.5cm) XL (58.5cm)) was too big.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I didn't know it was being replaced, the defy replaced the SCR last year and the 09 still has a few months to run.

Giant's compact geometry can be a pain in the backside for sizing. At your height, M/L would be a good starting point, from there it depends on reach, inseam, etc. Personally I would go for the medium, the large giant is actually massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

as far as im aware its still gonna be a defy 4 , maybe in a slightly different colour

there being released end of july

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ah right, tried a few local shops and they are all sold out, reckon they are selling VERY fast all over the country.
    Sickened now as the shop I was going to get it off were good, but I can't find a link about the viking roma, except that its about 300 euro, no the 510 they are looking for it.

Ah right, tried a few local shops and they are all sold out, reckon they are selling VERY fast all over the country.
    Sickened now as the shop I was going to get it off were good, but I can't find a think about the viking roma, except that its about 300 euro, no the 510 they are looking for it.

Yeah, don't touch it, the name alone would put me off. 14 speed Sora? It's been 8 speed (now 9) for the last few years, how old is that groupset??

Also, bikes are always cheaper online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks,
    Where could I try on line for the Giant?

Thanks

FCR 4 is practically the same bike , just with straight bars and mtb shifters

everything else is about the same

Thats interesting. Anyone have any comment on this statement (not that I dont trust you!! :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

There is a bit of a different between drops and straight bars.

Re size. I'm 6ft and have a L size scr bike. Quite a good fit. I did have to bend the bike over slightly to get over the top bar but pretty sure that's normal/way I've it setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Guys

Giants seem to be sold out in most areas. The cheap Vikings are pretty basic tbh, no idea about the specific model though many have the gear shifters mounted on the frame... not the most modern.

If its a A to B bike, meh it'll do (bit pricey though)

the giant XL frame maybe a bit big but again if its an A to B bike,,, meh...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Often next year's models are only this year's model with a new paint job. The Defy line is pretty new, so I'd be surprised if there were any major changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

The reviews of the Defy range have been pretty good, so there's a decent chance that the Giant distributors have just sold out of their 09 stock. I'd say a fair few people bought a basic road bike on the C2W scheme, so the Defy 4 would have been popular.

Looking at a Defy 2.5 or 2 myself, seems like a nice beginner's package.

Defy 4 is being kept the same albeit small minor colour changes if anything

thats what i was told from giant when i rang the rep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Never trust a rep.........!

I have tried a good few places within Connaught and online but no dice I am afraid. Took my brothers for a spin there this evening and its flying fast. But first time I was on a road bike, only ever used MTB's and the "sit" and wheels take a while to get used to.

If I dont go for the Giant,
    What do you lads think of these, I did a quick googles and the reviews are decent.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=37303

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38414

Can I ask a really daft question, but I would have thought the bike with 3 cogs on the front and 8 on the back are would have 24 gears. But they are saying that the 2nd bike there has "8 speed gears" Sorry for the questions

Or else maybe this hybrid version of the Defy 4!!!!! :)

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=17271

That seems a decent price too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Or else maybe this hybrid version of the Defy 4!!!!! :)

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=17271

That seems a decent price too

The FCR4 hybrid has a triple (52/42/30), which means it'll make climbing easier, if you want to take it up the mountains. It really depends on what you intend to use it for.

The Defy 4 has a standard double (53/39) which is fine for the flat and the odd hill on a short commute, unless you're a strong cyclist.

As far as Giant Defy sizing goes, I wouldn't be too quick to go beyond the Medium (50cm) at 5'11". As DirkVoodo says, the L is enormous. If you've got very long legs maybe try an M/L after having tried the M, but don't go for L just because the M/Ls are not easily found. Bear in mind also that we're talking about sizing that's specific to these bikes.

rughdh wrote: »
    The FCR4 hybrid has a triple (52/42/30), which means it'll make climbing easier, if you want to take it up the mountains. It really depends on what you intend to use it for.

The Defy 4 has a standard double (53/39) which is fine for the flat and the odd hill on a short commute, unless you're a strong cyclist.

As far as Giant Defy sizing goes, I wouldn't be too quick to go beyond the Medium (50cm) at 5'11". As DirkVoodo says, the L is enormous. If you've got very long legs maybe try an M/L after having tried the M, but don't go for L just because the M/Ls are not easily found. Bear in mind also that we're talking about sizing that's specific to these bikes.

thanks for that, what you think of that price for the FCR? I think I have to add pedals to that.

I will use it mainly for my 4.5 mile commute to work, also for Gaelforce and the 15km secondary road trails I do.
    The trail to work has no paths so I am on the busy road with cars and riding on the verge.

I rode my brothers XL Defy 4 this evening and found it a nice size, so I suspecting the L is spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

thanks for that, what you think of that price for the FCR? I think I have to add pedals to that.

I will use it mainly for my 4.5 mile commute to work, also for Gaelforce and the 15km secondary road trails I do.
    The trail to work has no paths so I am on the busy road with cars and riding on the verge.

I rode my brothers XL Defy 4 this evening and found it a nice size, so I suspecting the L is spot on.

I make that €497.86 euros. It's €474.05 in CycleSuperStore as a loyalty customer. (499 otherwise)

EDIT: missed the 10% free goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭csb1989

Hey if you're in Mayo the Bike Clinic in Castlebar has a defy 4..

Size large by the looks of it. I bought my large defy 4 there and Im about 5'11-6' ish so should fit you fine

Oh and it has a compact crankset btw- 50/36

Asking for 569e

Other than that Ill say its a very good bike- except for the tyres..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Ivor_Schlong

csb1989 wrote: »

Size large by the looks of it. I bought my large defy 4 there and Im about 5'11-6' ish so should fit you fine

Asking for 569e

robbery standard giant price retail for a defy 4 is €550

csb1989 wrote: »

Asking for 569e

Thanks for that but they are too dear, I was getting a package from Marrey Bikes for bike, helmet, pump, 2 bottles and multi tool for 565. Bike Clinic want 635 for the same. I might want the bike but I dont want to be ripped either to be honest.

the bike here http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productD...roductID=17271 with all the accessories is 515.

I know someone is going to shoot me soon, but Marrey came back there and they tell me that since I am really using the bike more for training and commuting and only Gaelforce once a year that this would do the job
    http://marreybikes.com/shop/lapierre-rcr-100-09-p-92.html?osCsid=sk1a1drukop33am3brefjoe0s2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I know someone is going to shoot me soon, but Marrey came back there and they tell me that since I am really using the bike more for training and commuting and only Gaelforce once a year that this would do the job
    http://marreybikes.com/shop/lapierre-rcr-100-09-p-92.html?osCsid=sk1a1drukop33am3brefjoe0s2

They're a very good commuting bike - a few people in the office here have them, and I've recommended them before. The only problem (for me) is the lack of drops, but if you're happy with a flat barred bike, go for it!

"but if you're happy with a flat barred bike, go for it!"

What do you mean by this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

"but if you're happy with a flat barred bike, go for it!"

What do you mean by this?

Nothing bad! Some people prefer a flat bar, others prefer dropped handlebars, it's a personal choice thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭boniver

What'll replace the Defy 4 ? The only person who can answer that question is the MD of Giant UK who specs the bikes we see in the UK and Irish market. He does quite a good job (very good, I would say) so most of the European countries that sell Giant now take the UK spec bike. The original plan was that the new Giant range would launch as usual at The Belfry Golf Club in August but the Defy range launch is being brought forward to July becuase of supply shortages. It's not only the Defy 4 that's gone, the 3, 2.5 and 2 are also all sold out. Ditto Trek 1.2's. If it hasn't already this will also put pressure on Spesh and probably every other half decent brand.

The main drivers of this situation are unexpected levels of demand from the Irish and UK markets against a backdrop of most distributors having cut back their forecasts back in September/October in the face of a global recession that was expected to hit the bike business as hard as everyone else.

If you're a shop like us that's just about reached the end of our stocks of Defy 4 and 3 (yes we have some left!), then the next month is a major problem. Who ever thought we'd run out of bikes!

RCR 100 is a very good bike, I just hope they have got rid of the foam handlebar grips. If not, ask them to stick on a pair of rubber ones. Foam is not only cheap and nasty, but also unpleasant in the wet weather!

• Advertisement

boniver wrote: »
    What'll replace the Defy 4 ? The only person who can answer that question is the MD of Giant UK who specs the bikes we see in the UK and Irish market. He does quite a good job (very good, I would say) so most of the European countries that sell Giant now take the UK spec bike. The original plan was that the new Giant range would launch as usual at The Belfry Golf Club in August but the Defy range launch is being brought forward to July becuase of supply shortages. It's not only the Defy 4 that's gone, the 3, 2.5 and 2 are also all sold out. Ditto Trek 1.2's. If it hasn't already this will also put pressure on Spesh and probably every other half decent brand.

The main drivers of this situation are unexpected levels of demand from the Irish and UK markets against a backdrop of most distributors having cut back their forecasts back in September/October in the face of a global recession that was expected to hit the bike business as hard as everyone else.

If you're a shop like us that's just about reached the end of our stocks of Defy 4 and 3 (yes we have some left!), then the next month is a major problem. Who ever thought we'd run out of bikes!

Any large Defy 4's left ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

boniver wrote: »

Interesting. I assume by speccing you mean he is given the basic frameset and model number from HQ in taipei but can specify up to a point minor changes like what type of wheels, crankset etc go on the bikes to keep within a given budget?

Any large Defy 4's left ;)

Yes, we have stock of Defy 4's. If you want to PM me I'd rather not use boards to advertise the shop.

neilled wrote: »
    Interesting. I assume by speccing you mean he is given the basic frameset and model number from HQ in taipei but can specify up to a point minor changes like what type of wheels, crankset etc go on the bikes to keep within a given budget?

I'd have to ask Ian but my understanding is that the Defy range - in terms of colours and full specification (with the exception of frame design I assume) is all done by the UK team. Certainly the difference betweek the Giants we see now and those from only a few years back, that were designed by the European plant, is miles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Nothing bad! Some people prefer a flat bar, others prefer dropped handlebars, it's a personal choice thing

Has a truce been declared in the flat-bar vs drops war?

I'd go for the LaPierre before the flat-bared Giant. However that's ignoring price. I'm getting a RCR 300 myself as part of the cycle to work scheme (If they don't run out of them before the paper work comes through!), but I always get the feeling that LaPierre are bit over priced compared to Giants for the spec. You should probably compare the specs on the two bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Buckley Cycles in Tullamore has the Defy 4 in stock, I bought the Large version of it today for €500. Nice bike and very light.

Neonitrix

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice lads, picked up my bike yesterday. In the end I got it from Eamon in Marreybikes in Ballinrobe (http://www.marreybikes.com/ ) which the other Eamon in Altitude in Waterford.
    Didn't know until yesterday that them lads there are involved with training Dave O'Loughlin. Learned stuff about road bikes yesterday that I never knew!!!!

Took it on the road today, compared to a MTB it is mental fast, u feel the road a lot more in your hands so that will be something I will have to get used to.
    Was funny that I beat a car around town which was caught up in traffice and round abouts :)

Man hole covers are a dog also!! Nearly vibrated the sh*T out of me.

Thanks for all your help anyway lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sumone

I got one last year, it's being used mostly by my 17 year old. No problems with it and he is very hard on equipment. I don't use it much, mostly on my other bike.

Advertisement