Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres for Passat

• 11-06-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Need some advice re tyres for my Passat. Theyre 215/55/R16. At the minute it looks as though there are Semperit on one side and Michelin on the other. On the front there are 2 Achiles Sport tyres.

I need to change the back 2 and was looking at Nankang tyres. Anyone got any recomentations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dont skimp and buy budget tyres. Its a false economy - you need tyres that can perform when you need them to and not some cheap Chinese crap made in a work house.

Semepret or Michelin should so fine, I use Dunlop Sport Maxx and find them good wear wise with good grip in all conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

EPM wrote: »
    Dont skimp and buy budget tyres. Its a false economy - you need tyres that can perform when you need them to and not some cheap Chinese crap made in a work house.

Semepret or Michelin should so fine, I use Dunlop Sport Maxx and find them good wear wise with good grip in all conditions

Cheers EPM. I was looking online and the Dunlop Sport Maxx are 93Y, but the front 2 Achiles tyres are 97W. Does that matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Cheers EPM. I was looking online and the Dunlop Sport Maxx are 93Y, but the front 2 Achiles tyres are 97W. Does that matter?

+1 on Dunlop. SP Maxx. A good tyre for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

My car has same size tyre, I had vredestein sportrac 3 fitted. Great grip in wet, ideal for ireland. 80 euros fitted each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

OP, you need to find out what the original tyre spec for your car was and as long as you dont go below that you'll be fine. Should be in the owners manual or if not try have a look at a similar car in a dealers or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I am going to stick up for the Nankangs. Ive used them alot but only the NS2s. I find them quite soft and offering good grip. They are not long lasting but you cant have it everyway. I dont know what the smaller sizes are like though.
    They certainly dont perform badly and imo they are a reasonable buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mcwhirter wrote: »
    My car has same size tyre, I had vredestein sportrac 3 fitted. Great grip in wet, ideal for ireland. 80 euros fitted each

Where'd you get them/fitted? I need 2 rear tyres for my Passat at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

EPM wrote: »
    you need to find out what the original tyre spec for your car was and as long as you dont go below that you'll be fine. Should be in the owners manual or if not try have a look at a similar car in a dealers or something

Best advice yet, the passat are definitely an extra load tyre so the 97 is probably correct. not sure about the speed rating however. it should be on a sticker on either the surround of the door (visible with drivers door open) or on the flap covering the fuel filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Where'd you get them/fitted? I need 2 rear tyres for my Passat at the moment

The garage is a couple of miles north of ashbourne on the n2, opposite the ratoath turnoff.
    Number is 0857368568

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The garage is a couple of miles north of ashbourne on the n2, opposite the ratoath turnoff.
    Number is 0857368568
    Great. Will give them a call tomorrow. Do you have the name of the place/person ya dealt with?

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Frank_Gooding

Same size

been through 2 set of bf goodrich great tyres.

On a new set of pirellis now only run them through a few miles but pretty good. looking at over a ton a corner but there is a limited amount of rubber wetween you and the road so don't skimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 JOL

+1 to whitelightrider

I had vredestein Ultrac fitted, and find them very good, especially in the wet.

Dont need the sportrac as they would be wasted on my 1.6L petrol crawler...

I got them fitted up north outside Downpatrick, I think it was around £100 for the 2 tires fitted.

Probably not worth your while going up North unless you are looking for the more expensive brandnames.

JOL wrote: »
    +1 to whitelightrider

I had vredestein Ultrac fitted, and find them very good, especially in the wet.

Dont need the sportrac as they would be wasted on my 1.6L petrol crawler...

I got them fitted up north outside Downpatrick, I think it was around £100 for the 2 tires fitted.

Probably not worth your while going up North unless you are looking for the more expensive brandnames.
    Well I brought the Passat up north last time to Enniskillen for the service/timing belt change so don't mind doing it again if there was value to be had. Any recommendations for a good place in Enniskillen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Well I brought the Passat up north last time to Enniskillen for the service/timing belt change so don't mind doing it again if there was value to be had. Any recommendations for a good place in Enniskillen?

Im up in Newry at the end of this month for a wedding so might actually look into the prices up there.

Advertisement