Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agent won't give deposit back

Options
  • 11-06-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I’m having a problem with letting agent at the moment.
    Our lease expired on 31. May and we moved out.

Agent checked the house and he was happy enough the way house was. He said that landlord needs to check the property before he can give us our deposit back (1500€).
    Haven’t heard from him till 6th of June when I actually met him outside the house. He said, I have good news for you, landlord has seen the house and she was happy to give us our deposit back, and he was going to contact us on Monday (8th June) to give us deposit back.
    Still haven’t heard from him. Tried to ring him on his mobile, landline, email, leaving voicemails, no reply.
    It looks like he is avoiding us for some reason.
    I don’t know what to do. Should I go and ask for legal advice and where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TomasMan

And I know he didn’t just disappear, because I saw “to let” sign yesterday on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Contact the PRTB about the issue and see what they say.

Will do that.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Threshold would be a better place to contact than PRTB

www.threshold.ie

Just tried to ring Threshold but voice message is saying that all advisers are busy at the moment. I might just go there after work and see what can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hey
    How did you get on with Threshold?
    I had a similar problem where the landlord was claiming that there was a months rent missing. I had to actually go through his bank statements with him and mine to prove the the moment had gone into the account - it took 2 months to get the money back from him!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Hey
    How did you get on with Threshold?
    I had a similar problem where the landlord was claiming that there was a months rent missing. I had to actually go through his bank statements with him and mine to prove the the moment had gone into the account - it took 2 months to get the money back from him!!!!!!

and this is exactly the reason why everybody should demand a rent book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

report them to the prtb.

Go to the agents office and refuse to leave until you have the deposit from them!

Advertisement