Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PvP..For me... as a shamm..ie!

Options
  • 11-06-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey all, im http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&n=Objection

im wondering if any of you can help me with info on what to do to gear up for PvP (Arena).

I know shammy is rubbish atm but im willing to not want to be the fotm class.

i dont have alot of time to play, so when im playing i have 2 questions.

1) in what order should i be doing BG's to maximise my honor gain,
    2) in what order should i buy items in order to maximize my Res + HP.

thank you!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I just play each individual BG in a circle, I'll replay each one until I win a round (for badges).. Doesn't really matter what way you do them - just try to keep all the badges even. Start off with whatever the daily is.

As for start-off gear, you could just get all the hateful stuff through honor, and then do random 10/25 mans for lucky drops aswell. You could do arenas with crap gear, to allow you to use arena points and honor to get gear - you'll get the gear 4 times quicker this way, but your arena rating will be crap due to playing with bad gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

For gaining honor just do all BG's you can and hand in the badges for extra honor, so just jump in as many premades as you can and grind your honour that way. You will have a full hateful set in no time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭oceansize

hmm ok, i'll be honest, i've played 17 matches in a row of SotA, (between yesterday and today, and we've not won a single round, not joking.

i have 60 AV and 60wsb marks, so only need to do WSG and the other 2 for a while.

Can't i delete my arena team after i've geared up and start again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You can, but doesn't your personal rating remain the same? I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

dlofnep wrote: »
    You can, but doesn't your personal rating remain the same? I can't remember.

Think its matchmaking value now! Not sure tho cause im still not sure how boosters matchmaking pts work then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭AaronFitz

Gear wise max out on stam until around 20-22k hp, ideally you should be those hp number's and at least 15.5-16k mana, whilst doing this max out resiliance as much as possible. get pvp hit capped for spell's this is crucial as a missed hex / windshock could be the diffrence between a win and a loss, also I would advise getting at least 50 pref 80 spell pen, most people do this thru gems. Why spell pen? Ever tried to windshock a mage charging up a shatter combo on you only to see them proceed to freeze your face off? More than likely what happened was a resist to your windshock, a pvp mage will get 80 resistance thanks to an arcane talent automatically and upon using mage armour they will have 120 resistance to all schools of magic... This will cause Hex, windshock, you name it to be resisted alot which is very bad.... Getting spell pen to around 80 will prevent total resist's and allow only partial resist's which is fine as a partially resisted hex still hex's, partial resist's only effect the damage of a spell.

Now as for spec, you need 2/2 imp Ghost wolf imo. Whether its to flee an opponent or to stop that priest for getting 2 extra ticks of drink, this talent is a must in arena. I also noticed your missing healing grace, what is worse than having earth sheild spell stolen / dispelled? I also noticed 2/3 elemental weapons? 3/3 offers 10% more effect I suggest getting that over 1/5 toughness.

As for where to get the points to fill these tallents, I have no idea, I personally dont have a shaman past 60 but I do know the previous mentioned points regarding hp's to aim for, maxing pvp spell hit, spell pen to 80 all the while aiming for the max possible Resil etc are genrally accepted as key to a sucessful arena-ing healer not just a shammy.

I hope this was helpful.

Edit: As for which order to get the item's, I'd imagin the best option would be to get the item which net's the largest gain in term's of PvP replacment (i.e. Which item could I get next which would increase my hp and resil by a larger amount)

Edit again: I also suggest looking up in google "Focus windshock macro" and "Focus Hex macro" These maco's will allow you to set a focus enemy while keeping your team mate targeted and lets you see your focus targets casting bar (if enabled in the interface) and will allow you to get off split second spell intruptions on a target your not even targeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Will I need spell pen also? im a rogue at lvl 52 at the mo. But soon to be 80 I hope.

Also will my priest partner need spell pen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭AaronFitz

Upon looking up the topic as I was quite curious for the benefits of spell pen to rogue's I found this quote on www.roguerogue.com somewhere I underlined the important part but sadly no explanation was given:

"The spell hit cap against players is 4%, which is relevant because it affects your poisons. It’s not as important a cap to hit because although your poisons provide your snare and your mortal strike, you have a very high application chance and thus it’s very unlikely one failed proc will set you back. You need 26.232 hit rating for 1% of spell hit, so you should be able to cap poison hit (105) as a happy side-effect of capping specials.
    Spell penetration: poison damage is good, but it’s not that good."

I'm assuming once again poison's damage will only get partially resisted most of the time and the frequency of rogues attacks is quite high so risk of wound not applying or fallin off is slim same for crippling.

Edit: as for your priest, yes I suggest spell pen as a resisted scream is as detrimental as any other form of CC being resisted, same goes for dispell magic, you dont want that resisting when it's being used offensivly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I havent done any pvp since wrath came out but assuming it hasnt changed THAT much then:
    oceansize wrote: »
    1) in what order should i be doing BG's to maximise my honor gain,

Work out the badges you need for the gear you want and obtain them first (Leaving AV till last). Then just do AV over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Theres no comparison to the honor you get from av to the rest.

If they buffed the rest then ignore me, if they didnt, this is by far the best way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Will I need spell pen also? im a rogue at lvl 52 at the mo. But soon to be 80 I hope.

Also will my priest partner need spell pen?

Rogues do not use Spell-Pen; casters and Death Knights do though

Priests do need spellpen if they get to a gearlevel where they're not nerfing other important stuff to get it (so that fear, Holy Fire, etc don't resist)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Wintergrasp/do each bg and trade in marks for 2 1/2 hours/Wintergrasp/do each bg and trade in marks for 2 1/2 hours. Repeat until you never want to do pvp outside of the arena again!

For starters, gear collected from the wintergrasp marks are excellent.
    Nice trinkets, off set pieces and even some main set pieces.
    Work those Wintergrasp items into the purchase of items from honour and you'll be geared up in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

LvL 64 now and im looking forward to hitting 80.

Advertisement