Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus Sport

• 11-06-2009 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I seen a 2006 1.6 ford focus sport on the internet this morning, rang the guy up and I'm going to see it this evening. I have my money out of the bank and all. It's really an astra I want, but a sxi or sri is out of my price range at the mo as I'm a student.

Can anybody tell me roughly how many miles this car will do per gallon? I'm currently driving a 99 opel corsa! How big would the difference be-normally I put €40 into my corsa and that will do it for 1.5-2 weeks. Somehow I think the focus will be a different story?

Anybody got any advice on buying a focus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Smileyx wrote: »
    I seen a 2006 1.6 ford focus sport on the internet this morning, rang the guy up and I'm going to see it this evening. I have my money out of the bank and all. It's really an astra I want, but a sxi or sri is out of my price range at the mo as I'm a student.

Can anybody tell me roughly how many miles this car will do per gallon? I'm currently driving a 99 opel corsa! How big would the difference be-normally I put €40 into my corsa and that will do it for 1.5-2 weeks. Somehow I think the focus will be a different story?

Anybody got any advice on buying a focus?

A link or pics would be nice. I can't tell but i am sure a quick google search will answer that question for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

€40 for 1.5-2 weeks means nothing. How many miles do you get from that? It would be slightly heavier but not madly so I reckon.

What year is the car? If it's the new model, the Sport spec was an english spec, basically an LX with alloys, fogs and the leather steering wheel from the Zetec model. It should have air con if so too. Also there was 2 1.6 versions of this, a 100 brake and a 115 brake. The more powerful engine is a sweet unit and the more economical of the two also.

If you had a link it would be helpful, but MK2 focus money would probably get you an Astra SXi no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Smileyx

Any astra I was looking at is about £1000 dearer

Nice Focus - thats got some nice extras too - bodykit and ST alloys. Looks very well.

But with a bit of bargaining these should be about the same price as the focus including VRT

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/1.4-GTC-/200908191897848/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/16V-SXI-/200922192925674/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/1.4-GTC-/200924193063964/advert?channel=CARS

I'd still prefer a Focus though, but the Zetec spec has a nicer interior than the LX/Sport

Yeh, I like the look of it. I found a black one, exact same spec but it just had ordinary alloys and no bodykit for £5150, but think I'll stick to the blue one.

• Advertisement

Looks a nice car to be honest, Plus you should be able to get something small of it also. Wouldn't expect a huge saving though. www.usedcarsni.com is worth a look too

No, I'm not going to get a huge saving. I offered the guy £5,500 and told him I'd be there at 5.30 to lift it, but he informed me that the car won't be mine for that price. He had it in the autotrader 3 weeks ago at £7,500.
    I'm all excited now!
    I couldn't afford an astra €10,000- no chance. I wouldn't be able to afford to eat when I get back to uni!
    Thanks for help, I think it's a good buy now

No, I'm not going to get a huge saving. I offered the guy £5,500 and told him I'd be there at 5.30 to lift it, but he informed me that the car won't be mine for that price. He had it in the autotrader 3 weeks ago at £7,500.
    I'm all excited now!
    I couldn't afford an astra €10,000- no chance. I wouldn't be able to afford to eat when I get back to uni!

You do know you'll have to pay VRT on the car once you bring it in and stuff, ya?

Just a rough calculation from the VRT site:

DATE: 11 June 2009 TIME: 16:21

STATISTICAL CODE: 41785722
    MAKE: FORD
    MODEL: FOCUS 1.6 (From Sept. 2004)
    VERSION: SPORT 03DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 184

MILEAGE: 38000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: MAY 2006

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €14452
    RATE OF TAX: 28%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €4046
    If you have documentary evidence that the CO2 emissions differ from the above, you may enter the CO2 emissions in the box provided and recalculate the VRT by selecting the Recalculate button.

Plus they might sting you for the extras on that one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm all excited now!

5500Stg x 1.15(rough exchange rate) = €6,325
    plus VRT of €4,046 = €10,371

OP, i hope you know what your getting yourself into?

please ignore the above post if you actually live in the North :)

I'll be living in the north for a year!

• Advertisement

Sorted so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

As a Student I take it?

Better keep saving as it's going to cost you when you move back south of the border.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you'll have to pay VRT or sell it before you come home next year.
    you should budget that into your plans too OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I was only having a conversation with a fella about the mpg between his Corsa and my Golf.

Where he was getting 550 to a tank, I was getting roughly 400, maybe a small bit less. That is 1.0 vs. 1.4.

Well, wait to you hear what happened. I went to look at the car last night but the man had changed the wheels on it. He stated in the ad- original ford alloys. I assumed it was the original ford alloys on it and not different ones. He had put ordinary, yucky tyres on it. Totally destroyed the car. After 2 hours of listening to him moan and whine about how much money he was loosing (bear in mind he bought the car brand new to his 18year old son) I told him I was going- didn't want to have to fork out more money for new wheels. He eventually gave in and changed the wheels so I have the car home with me now. Need to get my insurance sorted today and then I'm on the road. As regards to paying it over- think I might get myself a wee part time job and then try and bring it across then as I won't class myself as a student

Job might help, think you need bills for the period also in your own name. Didnt realize you couldn't just do it being a student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, students don't qualify for VRT exemptions. Part time job will not work either if you are still in full time education afaik, you would still be classed as a student to my knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Well, wait to you hear what happened. I went to look at the car last night but the man had changed the wheels on it. He state ... As regards to paying it over- think I might get myself a wee part time job and then try and bring it across then as I won't class myself as a student

Pictures :D

Advertisement