Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much should she pay for this '06 Golf?

• 11-06-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

My sister in law is currently looking at this '06 Golf, asking price is just under €13K, she has a 98 Astra with a blown head gasket that she has been offered a 1K trade in for by the garage, what do you think the lowest price they will settle for taking the 1K for the Astra into account? Would €10ishK plus the Astra be realistic? just want to be prepared before the haggling starts and I get the inevitable phone call to help.

Thanks.

V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd imagine the cash price would be similar to what she would be paying with the astra so if she could maybe off load the Astra somewhere she'd be better off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

06-D-5159.

Hmmmm.

"Would €10ishK plus the Astra be realistic"

Yea. I'd say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think she's getting a good deal on the Astra for 1k to be honest because it's only worth scrappage... but even if you take it at 12k then for the Golf, she should get something better than a baseline in from the UK for that price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

I know a garage in Galway that has one for €10950 retail. Its not the base spec either. I'm sure you could get it for under €10k with trade in(or not)

Dumb wrote: »
    06-D-5159

Hmmmm

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd be looking at this kind of spec if I was her http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1068979.htm or http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1049368.htm

VRT on the Silver car is €2951 and if you get it for £7000 or €8225 then you're talking €11,500 including flights and ferry! Better engine, more extras, less mileage, no brainer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

EPM wrote: »
    Am I missing something?

Naw. Was just pondering it being an '06. :pac:

steve06 wrote: »
    I'd be looking at this kind of spec if I was her http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1068979.htm or http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1049368.htm

VRT on the Silver car is €2951 and if you get it for £7000 or €8225 then you're talking €11,500 including flights and ferry! Better engine, more extras, less mileage, no brainer!

I could be wrong, but does the silver one have xenons?!? Lights look funny...could just be me going blind or something...it is dark in here:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would ignore the astra trade in as you will get more than 1k discount by buying cash imo
    then sell the astra for parts or stick it in the buy and sell and get a couple of hundred back for her pocket!

at 13k for an 06 golf, with cash in your hand waving it infront of the salesman, how could he refuse an offer of 11,500 with a cash deposit there and then???
    EPM wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but does the silver one have xenons?!? Lights look funny...could just be me going blind or something...it is dark in here:pac:

judging by the pics, i would say no, it hasnt got xenons.

kceire wrote: »
    judging by the pics, i would say no, it hasnt got xenons.

Thought the front on one looked funny, and though the xenons had the black surrounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wouldn't a 08 @15k straight seem better value?

Depending on their budget of course,
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.4--COM/200918192628857/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Thanks for the input so far lads.

Garage has got back to her, they are only prepared to knock €1200 off the asking price (that includes the Astra)

She has a max budget of 10K cash to spend, I don't think she's going to go to the UK the spec on the 2 cars above while a bit better then the Brady's one, it's not different enough to warrant the effort of travelling over to the UK (if it had the tv/Sat nav and leather it would be worth it!)

so esentially they are looking at €11,800 cash for an 06 base (albeit a sportsline version) 1.4l golf, seems a bit rich for this economic climate.

BillyGoatGruff would you have a link to the Golf in Galway?

Thanks,

V

Victor_M wrote: »
    seems a bit rich for this economic climate

Don't really agree with that. If she can't get one cheaper, there's nothing rich about it. Golfs sell well, supply and demand and all that.

Don't really agree with that. If she can't get one cheaper, there's nothing rich about it. Golfs sell well, supply and demand and all that.

If you think 15330 for a new '09 Golf vs 11800 for a 3 year old one is reasonable that's fair enough.

The thing is there are cheaper similar ones around, that one just caught her eye and I wanted to know a realistic price for it.

They do hold their value well in fairness I'm just going to try and haggle as much as I can for her as this is the first car I been involved in buying since the ar$e has fallen out of the market and the garages now actually have to work for their sales.

If you think 15330 for a new '09 Golf vs 11800 for a 3 year old one is reasonable that's fair enough.

The thing is there are cheaper similar ones around, that one just caught her eye and I wanted to know a realistic price for it.

They do hold their value well in fairness I'm just going to try and haggle as much as I can for her as this is the first car I been involved in buying since the ar$e has fallen out of the market and the garages now actually have to work for their sales.

But you said she has a budget of 10k, therefore the price of a 09 is irrelevant. If you understand me. The car is set out for the market who maybe only be short 2k to buy one 2 or even 3 years newer. But the simple fact they don't have the that extra 2k, puts the seller in a better position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The 1.4's aren't selling too well at the moment. There is also fierce oversupply of them on the used market and I quite honestly think she could do better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Does it have to be a Golf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP I would take the Astra out of the equation, it is doing you no favours as it removes you from negotiating a good straight deal discount on the new car. An 11 year old Astra with a blown head gasket is frankly worth feck all to a dealer.

This will surely be bought within budget:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1415834

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

bazz26 wrote: »
    An 11 year old Astra with a blown head gasket is frankly worth feck all to a dealer.

+1

If you brought this deal to me, I wouldn't even take the Astra into consideration in terms of value - I'd trade it in because you need it gone, but I wouldn't be giving any money for it (if you know what I mean).

• Advertisement

OP I would take the Astra out of the equation, it is doing you no favours as it removes you from negotiating a good straight deal discount on the new car. An 11 year old Astra with a blown head gasket is frankly worth feck all to a dealer.

That could very well be the car she buys thanks very much hadn't spotted that one.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That could very well be the car she buys thanks very much hadn't spotted that one.;)

Let us know how she gets on.

Thanks Bazz26, that one sold yesterday unfortunately.

Advertisement