Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax and age discrimination

Options
  • 11-06-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

My 16 year old so has been lucky enough to land a part time job this summer.

His employer, like many want to pay his wages direct into his bank account. with this in mind my wife and my son called into our newly local halifax bank. after all their ad's make them seem like a decent bunch, with longer opening hours cheaper credit card etc.

anyway we were stunned when the branch manager informed my wife that a person must be 18 to open an account with Halifax.

I though this must be illegal as its blatent discrimination based on age (provision of goods and services), but the equality agency tell me my son couldnt raise a complaint because he isnt 18!!!!!

Obviously the act was designed by older people and only protects their interests. However that's a separate issue.

It may be legal, but is it reasonable to refuse an essential service to a person based on their age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Take your business elsewhere and put your money in an Irish bank.

I'm not sure how the other banks will deal with the age issue though. I'm surprised he can't open an account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Age discrimination only works one way, ie you can't discriminate against the old

As paulw says, take your business elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Age discrimination only works one way, ie you can't discriminate against the old

As paulw says, take your business elsewhere

That can't be true surely? Not officially anyway. Then again I always wondered how 25plus.ie weren't taking to the cleaners for refusing to give a quote to under 25s.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ShooterSF wrote: »
    That can't be true surely? Not officially anyway. Then again I always wondered how 25plus.ie weren't taking to the cleaners for refusing to give a quote to under 25s.

Yup it's true. Just look at the fact that you can't be president until you're 35. I'd assume they looked up the legislation beforehand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yup it's true. Just look at the fact that you can't be president until you're 35. I'd assume they looked up the legislation beforehand :D

Ah good old Ireland. Age discrimination laws that discriminate based on age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking Insurance and Pensions

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dont be daft lads. NO BANK will open an account for a 16 year old, you need to open a kiddie account for them yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dont be daft lads. NO BANK will open an account for a 16 year old, you need to open a kiddie account for them yourself .

When I was 14-15, my mother had to co-sign a "dual account" with me. In ulster bank. Perhaps OP can do this somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Isn't a 16 year old still classified as a child? You might as well argue he's being discriminated for a lot me things such as driving licence, voting, drinking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No bank will do this you have to have an account opened in an adults name with the minor as a named user, then you can take change the account when the person is over 18.

Another piece of money laundering legislation I presume....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

My 16 year old so has been lucky enough to land a part time job this summer.

His employer, like many want to pay his wages direct into his bank account. with this in mind my wife and my son called into our newly local halifax bank. after all their ad's make them seem like a decent bunch, with longer opening hours cheaper credit card etc.

anyway we were stunned when the branch manager informed my wife that a person must be 18 to open an account with Halifax.

I though this must be illegal as its blatent discrimination based on age (provision of goods and services), but the equality agency tell me my son couldnt raise a complaint because he isnt 18!!!!!

Obviously the act was designed by older people and only protects their interests. However that's a separate issue.

It may be legal, but is it reasonable to refuse an essential service to a person based on their age?

Not totally the banks fault, a person under 18 cannot enter into a legal contract and cannot be sued for a debt.

Which is why a child can open a savings account, but not a credit or loan account.

Halifax have a more limited range of accounts types than the main banks, so they might not have a suitable account.

AIB/BoI used have deposit accounts which had ATM cards, i assume they still do..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sponge Bob wrote: »

BOI have a Second Level account for school kids, this would be the one you're looking for (or equivalent in another bank). You can open it once you're over 12, the child has the account in their own name, and you can get an ATM card on it. This link will give you more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A 16 year old can open an account in Aib, just parents need to sign the application. It also has an atm card. Called a teenlink account.

Halifax may not allow under 18's because their atm card is visa and can be used for online shopping worldwide. I can see a point to this, but it is a debit card after all, cant be spending money they don't have.

I would ring their customer service line and ask them for an explanation.
    Tel: 042 931 0600 to speak to a customer advisor.
    Monday - Friday: 8am - 8pm. Saturday: 9am - 5pm. Sunday: 10am - 4pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Davy wrote: »
    A 16 year old can open an account in Aib, just parents need to sign the application. It also has an atm card. Called a teenlink account.

Halifax may not allow under 18's because their atm card is visa and can be used for online shopping worldwide. I can see a point to this, but it is a debit card after all, cant be spending money they don't have.

I would ring their customer service line and ask them for an explanation.
    Tel: 042 931 0600 to speak to a customer advisor.
    Monday - Friday: 8am - 8pm. Saturday: 9am - 5pm. Sunday: 10am - 4pm.

The reason is because a debit card can be used to force credit. Some banks still do not have their debit card systems "online" per se (i.e. when you go to Tesco and do a transaction, your a/c is debited immediatly). Other systems debit the amount a few days later. As said earlier, you can't legally sue a 16 yr old and therefore if same 16 yr old runs up an unauthorised overdraft, there's diddly squat you can do. Best thing is not to give them the card in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

AIB offers current accounts to all ages. It also offers debit cards to all ages, but children under 16 must apply with parents consent. See here for more details.

I assume BOI also do similar. Don't give your money to the queen. Stick to the Irish banks:D

Advertisement