Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burble or scream?

• 11-06-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

I am of course referring to the sounds coming from different types of engines and I'm curious to know whether people prefer the beautiful burbling sound of a hefty V8 or the exciting scream of a Ferrari F430?

I have the luxury of having various high-powered motors driving past my office window on a weekly basis, from an 07 Ferrari F430 to new M3's, supercharged Range Rovers to Jag XKR's, and nothing I've heard sounds like the Ferrari with its scream that reminds me of an F1 car every time.

Having said that, for my daily commute I'd still prefer the deep sound of the Jag or the M3 to the Ferrari - I'd still like to hear my stereo!

Burble or Scream? 45 votes

Burble
    0% 0 votes
    Scream
    84% 38 votes
    Burble & Scream
    15% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I love the sound of 5 cly engines their so unique.

A V12 Aston flat out sounds great too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I prefer scream, but it's just too much hassle in terms of the attention it draws. Out of interest, how would one describe the sewing-machine sound of a good straight six?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Burble

Straight six...velvety?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

BMW CSL burble and Scream

v=7gykMNGAGGA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gykMNGAGGA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

:cool: The ultimate sound,... bound to make envious heads turn wherever you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtrxL-Hhsk0&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It's a pity there isn't a "both" option as I absolutely adore both sounds equally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'd go for a both if it was there, but that being said, there is nothing on this planet or any other that sounds better than:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Mena wrote: »
    I'd go for a both if it was there, but that being said, there is nothing on this planet or any other that sounds better than

That has been, and will continue to be my flash box on the bebo. I never get bored of it. What a fantasitc sound.

At the same time, I can't pick, so I didn't vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Burbling is just coarse.
    Screaming is just downright annoying.

So neither. Quiet sewing machine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I just love the understated burbling purr of my 3.5l straight six, especially married to an auto box, it is always such a distinctive sound, as you pull away, effortlessly. What is it about auto boxes that help create this sound? Proper revving, the lack of a manual clutch? Dunno, but I know it when I hear it. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Victor_M wrote: »
    It's a pity there isn't a "both" option as I absolutely adore both sounds equally!

This maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Mena wrote: »
    I'd go for a both if it was there, but that being said, there is nothing on this planet or any other that sounds better than:

That's the best 90 seconds I've spent in a long time. Nice!

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

V8 Burble all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

DanGerMus wrote: »
    This maybe?

That does nothing for me I'm afraid, neither the decency to be a proper sexy burbling V8 (don't like the super charger whine) nor the rawness of a screaming high revving sexy Ferrari V8.

I fell in love with the new Jag XK earlier in the year with it's burbling old school V8 sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

SuprSi wrote: »
    I am of course referring to the sounds coming from different types of engines and I'm curious to know whether people prefer the beautiful burbling sound of a hefty V8 or the exciting scream of a Ferrari F430?

I have the luxury of having various high-powered motors driving past my office window on a weekly basis, from an 07 Ferrari F430 to new M3's, supercharged Range Rovers to Jag XKR's, and nothing I've heard sounds like the Ferrari with its scream that reminds me of an F1 car every time.

Having said that, for my daily commute I'd still prefer the deep sound of the Jag or the M3 to the Ferrari - I'd still like to hear my stereo!

I think ur wong with the xkr m8. I drove one when considering buying one and had read about the noisy supercharger. All you can hear is a screaming charger which totally drowns out the V8 sound. The XK8 is your man for rumbling Jag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Victor_M wrote: »

+1

Burble and scream in a high revving V8 for me!

But given both is not an option, I've voted burble...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote: »
    But given both is not an option, I've voted burble...
    Sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote: »
    Sorted!

"you have already voted on this poll"

*cries*

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sorted (the advantage of being a motors mod :))
    burble -1
    Burble & Scream +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I voted burble. Love the sound of my XK8

• Advertisement
Advertisement