Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Development

• 11-06-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hello!

I've posted a question about Computer Science in the UCC forum, and I'm really curious about Software Development too.

Any chance someone could give me some feedback on how they like the course? Do you find the course hard? Interesting? Do you finish the course at a high standard of C++, or what are the main programming languages that you get lectured on during the years?

I'm really interested in computers, just wondering what the course would be like..

Probably shouldn't say it, but I'm curious to which would be the better course to go for; Computer Science - or Software Development? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Few years ago I'd have said CIT all the way. But this new semisterization shananigans just doesnt seem to work with CIT's hands on/assignment heavy approach. Happy with my CIT qualification, wouldnt go back tho until they get everything sorted out.

Just my 2c. I havent actually been a victim of semisterization myself, just based on what i have heard, and read on this forum.

+hotter chicks in UCC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Ok so I've done the Software Development and Computer Networking course, but have been in with the Software Development guys a lot. The two course are similar, but the networking course includes a lot more maths/electronics/telecommunications and extensive networking coverage.

Anyways, as said above, the work load is absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully though, they will adapt better next year to this semesterisation. But then I was in 4th year when it came in so maybe it's fine for the years below me, I amn't sure.

I've friends in UCC computer science so kinda get an idea what they are up to.

Judging by what I've heard from UCC students:
    - CIT's courses are a lot more hands on, (More labs almost than lecturers) - good thing!
    - However, this also means more work
    - Assignments are continous in CIT, often have multiple at the same time, never time to do nothing
    - Missing labs and lectures in CIT is dangerous as often you need to be in, as not all covered in notes, if even available. UCC on other hand usually offer stuff online, could almost learn from home
    - UCC degrees seem to be more recognized by employers (which sucks)
    - UCC computer science content is more theoretical
    - CIT have longer hours I believe, be prepared to be in for 9 in morning and leaving at 6 in the evening.
    - If you want good facilities, UCC is place to be, but CIT is getting a bit better slowly
    - If you want a 'college life', with hotter girls, UCC place to be
    - If you want to seriously work hard and have passion for computers, then CIT might be better suited
    - You will know lecturers on a personal basis in CIT which is cool, even lecturers from 1st year still stop and talk in corradoor to me. Don't expect your current lecturers to even notice you in UCC
    - It is easier to get help off lecturers in CIT I believe, they have open door policy and would have no problem going to cantine and having cup of coffee with ya
    - Class sizes are quite small. My course started with 25 in 1st year, ended up with 4 in 4th year. However, I believe they bit bigger now with semesterisation where multiple classes in a single module, but still quite small relative to UCC.

- If you are interested in networking side of things, do my course. UCC doesn't even come close with networking side of things. You also come out with a CCNA cisco qualification from courses in CIT and the lecturers do know what they talking about. CIT is all cisco cisco which is great.

With the CIT degree, you will be better equipped for the work place however, they usually will take a UCC student over a CIT student. I hope this will start changing though.

As for programming languages:

- C, C++, Java, Perl/PHP (Web stuff), Assembly (both x86 and 68000)
    I amn't sure if they do any .NET stuff which is a shame as quite important today, but that could have changed.
    However, getting understanding of C,C++ and Assembly in my opinion is very beneficial - makes you a better programmer.

In UCC, they do mainly Java, bit of C (Least in 1st/2nd year). IMO, this is the wrong way around (others will argue) but from what I've heard, the students in UCC had problems grasping C after Java which is understandable I think.

Your question about, will you have high standard of programming -> This is very subjective. You make your standard. It is possible to come out of the course being a crap programmer (some are, some get around programming by choosing proper modules). If you work hard you can come out as a brilliant programmer. Make sure you pick a challenging final year project, as this will help you in your career. (Don't always pick the easy route like most)

I found my course extremely interesting. It isn't just all programming, here is a few other things:
    - Maths, all sorts, from LC style right to abstract algebra proving why 1+1 = 2, field, ring theory, Fourier series maths etc (Stuff they do in math science!)
    - Electronics: - AC/DC, transistors, FM/AM/PM, FSK, ASK, CDMA, Op Amps,
    - Computer Architecture, - Flip flops, CPU design, CISC vs RISC, Memory Controllers, Address buses etc (I loved it!)
    - Real time systems (Includes serious C programming) -> Device Drivers, Design of RT systems, Process scheduling, Semaphores/Mutexes etc
    - Operating Systems: - Learn ins and outs linux, shell scripting, process scheduling (round robin/fcfs etc), inodes and design of File system (Similar FAT/NTFS) etc
    - Networking: Everything!, from how bits represented on wire, to the RTP protocol and SIP. Advanced IP routing (RIP/OSPF/EIRGP), Switching, VLANs etc
    - Software Testing - you'd be surprised how big a subject this is.

Remember: Programming is only part of computer science. There is loads more. For example, design of a system is much more important than the actual programming. You will be looking at this in a software development module. Things like, UML/Design Patterns etc. A lot of people may be good programmers even starting a computer science course, but then fail in other areas. Would you believe that actual coding is one of the least significant parts of the development life cycle of a product? - that testing is more intensive!

That's just a taste of what was involved in my course anyways.

If you have any specific questions, send a PM or what ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

@webmonkey: thanks for the great post. its long but outlines the pro's and cons of each course.

i was thinking of doing an it course.. but i dont know what to do in it. in terms of areas id like to cover, they would be networking, programming (C++ seems to be the main one no? and even from regular program use, java is getting more popular but i dont like loading times or the interface ever personally)
    website design, games design, building pc's, every part of a pc and what it does, why it does it, how it does it etc...

id like a top notch challenging one if im doing it.. but as much as everything hands on would be great..

thoughts? maybe i shouldnt have this in the CORK IT section, but there isnt really a general IT section that i could find and this had a lot of useful info from people who seem to know what they are talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Semisterisation is new to CIT but is standard practice in Universities in Ireland and colleges around the world. Personally having experienced both, I believe that it spreads the work load over the year rather than cramming for exams in May. I prefer the new system but it does mean that there has been a reduction of involvement in fun stuff on campus (sport, socs, night out). If this doesnt bother you then you will like the new system. Eitherway it doesnt matter as ALL colleges are moving to semisterisation.

In regards to the comment that industry prefers UCC graduates to CIT graduates I can honestly say that depending on the course I have seen go the otherway. I know UCC graduates and CIT graduates who went for the same positions and it was noted that CIT graduates had a more rounded qualification with a perfect theory / practical balance.

Then again, a lot of companies just tick a box to see if you have a degree and decide if you deserve the position based on your experience and personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 maciris

Ok so I have read all your comments and I was wondering what course is trully the best for you.

Bachler degree in Computering
    Software Development
    Software Development & Network.

If you know a different one compairing to these please let me know which one you would pick and why..

What I am looking for in the course is a overall knowlege of computers. C++
    and web dev.
    graphics,
    System design,
    How to build your own microsoft and become richer,
    be a able to make applications and maybe game design..
    Also the one that is going to get me the best job in the future.

Thats really all that I am look for in a course.

Let me know what you think!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

kenyard wrote: »
    i was thinking of doing an it course.. but i dont know what to do in it. in terms of areas id like to cover, they would be networking, programming (C++ seems to be the main one no? and even from regular program use, java is getting more popular but i dont like loading times or the interface ever personally)
    website design, games design, building pc's, every part of a pc and what it does, why it does it, how it does it etc...

The Software Development course itself only go over networking briefly I think, similar to what they do in the Computer Science course in UCC. You will learn the fundamentals.

However, if you want to get into serious, thorough networking that should almost be a separate course imo!, do the Software Development and Computer Networking course.
    The good thing out of this course, is you can branch to Networking or Programming. Having excellent skills in both will sure benefit you a long the line.

C++ isn't done at a GUI level in college, its done using Java.
    However, I done my project in C++ and the QT framework (Beautiful framework, colleges should be teaching it!).
    The thing is, once you get good at a proper language, you should have no problem with any other, its not the syntax that's important but how your mindset is and how you go about solving problems.

maciris wrote: »
    Ok so I have read all your comments and I was wondering what course is trully the best for you.

Bachler degree in Computering
    Software Development
    Software Development & Network.
    > ITS Class - think it Information Technology Systems at a guess?
    If you know a different one compairing to these please let me know which one you would pick and why..

What I am looking for in the course is a overall knowlege of computers. C++
    and web dev.
    graphics,
    System design,
    How to build your own microsoft and become richer,
    be a able to make applications and maybe game design..
    Also the one that is going to get me the best job in the future.

Thats really all that I am look for in a course.

First of all, no such thing as an overall knowledge of computers, especially in college.

The bigger different between the software dev and software dev w/ networking course is the latter has a lot in common with electronic engineering and networking. Maths is big in this as well.

However, since things are semesterised now, you can mix and match between modules as you get electives.

Web Development is a module alright, but from sitting in a class I thought you be better off learning yourself at home (though I'd say it be easy marks).
    There's probably an advanced one as well that includes PHP/MySQL/Perl etc.

Now you say Graphics, do you mean actual Computer Graphics or drawing crap because actual computer graphics, 3d graphics such as game programming is no fun. I done the two modules in 4th year, OpenGL programming. It was definetely the hardest programming I ever done anyways. This is an elective though so you don't have to do it.

System Design at a software level will be covered in mandatory Software Development modules. Includes everything from requirements gathering to UML design/design patterns etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 maciris

So the batchelers degree in computering is not being mentioned at all is that like a dowgrade from Software Development?

Advertisement