Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to change gear oil in a 99 civic?

• 11-06-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads... just looking for some info as regards the above?

everytime i start to accelerate in 1st or 2nd im hearing this grinding noise. its nothing too loud but its getting on my nerves... i was told it might be either the lsd or the gearbox lacking oil?

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Hi lads... just looking for some info as regards the above?

everytime i start to accelerate in 1st or 2nd im hearing this grinding noise. its nothing too loud but its getting on my nerves... i was told it might be either the lsd or the gearbox lacking oil?

any suggestions?

Its hardly lacking oil but an oil change could help.

heres how you do it on an integra and i'm 99% sure its the same on a civic - http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=301

Make sure you use Honda or Land Rover Mtf II gearbox oil.

If the gearbox oil change doesn't help it may be the synchro needs replacing

EDIT: Just re read your post, do you mean it grinds when your putting it into first or second or that your actually in gear and as you accelerate there is a grinding noise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

thanks for that man.

yeah its just as im accelerating the noise is made.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    thanks for that man.

yeah its just as im accelerating the noise is made.

And is the noise definitely coming from within the gearbox?

i dunno man the sound seems to be coming from underneath the car... i got the centre box of my car replaced there a few weeks ago and had a few problems with however i got them fixed. might it be the exhaust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Sounds to me like your diff is slowly on its way out

• Advertisement

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like your diff is slowly on its way out

I'd agree if its a definite crunchy noise while accelerating then its probably the LSD

Hard to tell without hearing the noise though

is that expensive/difficult to replace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

if it is your box, alotof honda heads swear by GM Syncromesh, can aid alot of gearbox problems and can lenghten the life of your gear box. not too sure if its your diff. any idea what diff is it it? arent some rebuildable??

Advertisement