Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ

• 11-06-2009 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Will they survive the Recession? Opinions Welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Pat2107 wrote: »
    Opinions Welcome

What else do you expect to get from boards?

And yes of course they will survive. (When they stop broadcasting rubbish like traffic blues that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

What else would everyone have to constantly whinge about if it did close?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

RTE is the state broadcaster - it will not be allowed to "not survive", if there is financial difficulties RTE will be bailed out - probably followed by a licence fee hike :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Licence fee hike:eek:

Epic fail there mate,recession an' all that.

Cut the costs, there's your answer.

Stop paying those punters king's ransoms for doing ordinary work which competitors couldn't even offer 50% less.

Fat swine got their noses in the trough big time when the swill was flying,no one thought about the bad days,did they?

Now they are stuck with prima donnas who won't play ball.

Cull from the top,only answer.

As a management consultant that would be my immediate initial process.

Clear the kip out.

...and there you go.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Real FM wrote: »
    ...and there you go.:rolleyes:

If you have an opposing view.....lets hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

It don't matter to me. TV3 is way better anyway. RTE is too old fashioned. Maybe if they moderned it up a bit then they would get more viewers. And of course if they got some good shows.

And then of course they have Gerry Ryan and Ryan Tubridy crying that they have to take a paycut from their half a million euro salary. Anyone would be happy with even a tenth of that.

bevan619 wrote: »
    It don't matter to me. TV3 is way better anyway. RTE is too old fashioned. Maybe if they moderned it up a bit then they would get more viewers. And of course if they got some good shows.

And then of course they have Gerry Ryan and Ryan Tubridy crying that they have to take a paycut from their half a million euro salary. Anyone would be happy with even a tenth of that.

No it's not.

Bottom line : RTE unit costs are way out of line.

There is the problem

Why can some people not see that.?

I already did in one of your other threads ranting about wages.

Real FM wrote: »
    I already did in one of your other threads ranting about wages.

Do you think RTE is above criticism?

• Advertisement

Certainly not, any organisation is open to criticism. This rtadio forum are starting to sound like a broken record though. We've got the same people making the same points and posts under different threads as I predicted in my first post in this thread. You didn't dissapoint!

All you seem to be doing in the same threads is whinging about other people whinging.... and of course this ":rolleyes:"

Well what is your view then on RTE

Are you a taxpayer?

Do you think it is sound economic policy to pay people like Marian Finucane €450k pa.as instanced by the newsprint media.

What do YOU think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

bevan619 wrote: »
    It don't matter to me. TV3 is way better anyway..
    This must be a wind up. RTE has failings but to call TV3 a better provider is taking the piss.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

RealFM, how about instead of making jibes at the other posters, you acutally contribute something to the debate. If you feel you've already done this somewhere else, you're welcome to not take part in the discussion at all.

Any more snide comments from anyone in this thread will result in an infraction at the minimum.

Sorry, I won't add to this as I've already added to the debate and made my points clearly in the thread over the past few days. When the next one pops up tomorrow or the next day I'll keep stum.

An Interesting Irish Times article on RTE's current situation....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/0613/1224248747528.html

Interesting indeed.

Goan seems to have showered the "stars" with largess in the good times and now is getting shirty when people legitimately ask why.

Only one result-GO and quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Max Power1 wrote: »
    RTE is the state broadcaster - it will not be allowed to "not survive", if there is financial difficulties RTE will be bailed out - probably followed by a licence fee hike :rolleyes:
    Licence fee hike:eek:

Epic fail there mate,recession an' all that.

Cut the costs, there's your answer.

Stop paying those punters king's ransoms for doing ordinary work which competitors couldn't even offer 50% less.

Fat swine got their noses in the trough big time when the swill was flying,no one thought about the bad days,did they?

Now they are stuck with prima donnas who won't play ball.

Cull from the top,only answer.

As a management consultant that would be my immediate initial process.

Clear the kip out.

No i totally agree - i was just suggesting what WOULD probably happen in the case of financial difficulties at RTE, rather than what i think SHOULD happen!!

Ok I get your drift now.

Even Cowen would be savvy enough to realise that the electorate would not accept licence fee increase given the level of pay and conditions in Montrose.

It will be interesting, and shows the paucity of management who allowed costs to spiral in the boom time and never ever ,it seems, considered the fallout when the balloon burst.

RTE coming in for a no flaps landing in my opinion.

Costs should NEVER have risen to the level they now are, even an ordinary Joe like myself who has been beating the drum for yonks had foreseen that.

Ultimatum is the answer, wage cuts or get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

Aidric wrote: »
    This must be a wind up. RTE has failings but to call TV3 a better provider is taking the piss.

Not really. I find that they show better movies and better programs.

And they don't pay boring people (that's you Tubs and Gerry) half a million a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 homemade

RTE wil be around forever! they announced they would be closed by October to get the staff to take a pay cut (and it worked), next they will be after the taxpayer to pay more for the licence to help cope with the 68 million deficit!

I have heard all of their excuse and none of them work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Look ! Let's get real here - RTE to close ? No Sir ! as a previous poster has written.

Just a few facts - we are a small nation - with a population similiar to that of greater Birmingham (Go the Blues !).

We have a state broadcasting service where costs AT THE TOP have been allowed to get out of control.

This is what always happens in a State Supported organisation - especially in one where creativity is as important as sound business sense.

I would opine that the management structure is seriously bloated both in terms of numbers and remuneration.

I would also opine that any management who allowed salaries of the levels available to Kenny/Ryan/Finucane/Tubridy/O'callaghan etc to develop is seriously incompetent.

The Board of RTE.?..Ah the Board ! There to keep an eye..to oversee...to curb the worst management excesses ?

No Sir ...like Anglo...like Allied....like Nationwide...like BOI.....like IL&P..nowhere to be seen my friends ...nowhere to be seen....

The ordinary staffers in RTE are now picking up the peices...paying for ongoing lack of ability to face down these fat cats.

But why would they face them down ? Arn't they fat cats themselves...

No my friends the sun will never go down on the land of the ligger..the pink shirt and the cravat....

Advertisement