Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiat Seicento

• 11-06-2009 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Ok these are my guilty pleasure :o got to drive one today for the 1st time in a loooooong time, best fun i've had with a car in while :D

Somthing so pure about them, part metal interior, feels like your bombing along while doing the speed limit, taking corners and almost falling out the passanger door. :pac:

And for some reason they dont suffer the same ways as thier Big Brother the Punto in terms of reliabilty.

It's on the list now :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

i used to have the sporting one as my first car in a lovely yellow with all the sports kit on it:D

from what i can remember it was loads of fun

i miss it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

I drove a Fiat Sciento for years :o
    Damn great little car, runs on fook all juice...
    I drove the bejaysus out of it till it could take no more abuse.
    I remember driving down the M50 thinking I was a formula one driver... felt like I was driving 200km ph until some rich fooker ripped by me in his top of the range jag and burst my bubble :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Did you have a slight bump to the head? Have you been painting in a poorly ventilated area??

Dean09 wrote: »
    Did you have a slight bump to the head? Have you been painting in a poorly ventilated area??

And who might this question be directed at?
    What is your problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

gwhiz wrote: »
    And who might this question be directed at?
    What is your problem?
    Touchy or what?!! :rolleyes:
    I was joking. Its called a sense of humour. I think they're dirtboxes thats all. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Only been in one as a passenger, but they remind me of a go-kart (in a good way).

They've a bad NCAP rating, so it'd encourage me to be a careful driver.

thumb__testsplashtop.png

What about a Suzuki Cappucino?

Confab wrote: »

What about a Suzuki Cappucino?

Never heard it..... Is this a new model Suzuki brought out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

gwhiz wrote: »
    Never heard it..... Is this a new model Suzuki brought out?

Definitely not!

Cappuccino

It's a tiny coupe with a 0.66L turbocharged engine. Apparently they're quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Volvoboy wrote: »
    And for some reason they dont suffer the same ways as thier Big Brother the Punto in terms of reliabilty.

Fiat's factory in Tychy never had the same reliability issues as the Italian ones. Cinq/Seicento, New Panda, 500 and the Ford Ka are the recent cars from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Seicentos/cun.t-to-get-into are both balls of dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

They are cool, you pick them up piss cheap!saw a arbarth one last week. I really really want one just to driv the **** out of.
    Have you seen the engines?? they are like little lawnmowers, I thing the smaller capacity ones are only 3pot.

FearDark wrote: »
    Seicentos/cun.t-to-get-into are both balls of dirt.

just because your fat doesnt mean they are crap:p:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kona wrote: »
    they are like little lawnmowers, I thing the smaller capacity ones are only 3pot.

899cc or 1108cc both 4 pot. even though the 899 only has about 40bhp, it still feels lively

colm_mcm wrote: »
    899cc or 1108cc both 4 pot. even though the 899 only has about 40bhp, it still feels lively

maybe it was the cinquencento, didnt they share alot of parts with the old 126?

Id say you can really rev the crap outa the 899, whats the biggest CC they come in?

Could be Hyabusa time:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

In many ways the Cinquecento is the purer driving experience. 20KG lighter and 10cm smaller in every direction. No power steering to give trouble either.

Mailman wrote: »
    In many ways the Cinquecento is the purer driving experience. 20KG lighter and 10cm smaller in every direction. No power steering to give trouble either.

Same engines? I must admit, the sporting is quite sexy.

basically the same engines. but 899cc engine more common in Cinq.

Yup, from what I remember, in around 97/98 you could get the S and SX in 899cc and the Sporting was 1108cc, then the SX got the 1108cc engine too.

Anyone remember the Schumacher limited edition, apparently he learnt to drive on a Cinquecento, so they brought out a red special edition in his honour (around 2001?)

I saw a load of Fiat 600 "50th" models in Italy recently, there's definitely something very cool about them despite how outdated they are now.

original:
    11-07-05.jpg

50th model
    A22287_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

maybe it was the cinquencento, didnt they share alot of parts with the old 126?

Id say you can really rev the crap outa the 899, whats the biggest CC they come in?

Could be Hyabusa time:pac::D

No parts with the 126 I'm aware of. The 126 was FR layout, the Cinq was FF - very major changes!

In Poland you get a TWO pot 750cc in the Cinq which might be what you're thinking about with the three?

Engines were that 750cc OHV, an 699cc OHV and a 1108cc SOHC engine the same as is in base model Panda's now. There are a few out there with 1368cc DOHC's transplanted in to them from crashed Panda100s / Lancia Ypsilon, either 95 or 100hp in a car that small!

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    No parts with the 126 I'm aware of. The 126 was FR layout, the Cinq was FF - very major changes!

The 2 cylinder 700cc engine came from from the Polish 126 model, along with some amusing alterations to adapt it to front wheel drive.

MYOB wrote: »

In Poland you get a TWO pot 750cc in the Cinq which might be what you're thinking about with the three?

Engines were that 750cc OHV, an 699cc OHV and a 1108cc SOHC engine the same as is in base model Panda's now. There are a few out there with 1368cc DOHC's transplanted in to them from crashed Panda100s / Lancia Ypsilon, either 95 or 100hp in a car that small!

Ah right.but the polish 126(box shaped one?) had the engine mounted over the rear wheels. How handy a conversion is the 1368? just out of curiosity?

Id still prefer mini with the V-tec:D

There are a good few Cinqs and Seicentos with 1242cc conversions, supposed to be handy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I've only ever seen one 1242cc conversion in person - wasn't a lot of room left in the engine bay or underneath for that matter, the engine also had to be dropped to change the timing belt that's how tight things were! Would be a great conversion to do for a track-day car, but not for a day-to-day car - you'd ground out on speed bumps too easily :o

899cc push-rod engine is a horrible under-powered little thing fitted to the low spec granny shopper spec (S), you've to rev the ****e out of the engine and make the tappets dance on the bonnet before you get any power from it! The 1108cc engines in the Sporting are a much better engine - smoother acceleration and pretty nippy. With a strut-brace and coilovers, I would dare compare the Sei Sporting handling to that of a Mini!

I'd never buy one though...unless it was a Schumacher :cool:

On a sidenote - anyone know if any Schumacher Stilos were imported by Fiat Ireland?

macroman wrote: »
    I've only ever seen one 1242cc conversion in person - wasn't a lot of room left in the engine bay or underneath for that matter, the engine also had to be dropped to change the timing belt that's how tight things were! Would be a great conversion to do for a track-day car, but not for a day-to-day car - you'd ground out on speed bumps too easily :o

899cc push-rod engine is a horrible under-powered little thing fitted to the low spec granny shopper spec (S), you've to rev the ****e out of the engine and make the tappets dance on the bonnet before you get any power from it! The 1108cc engines in the Sporting are a much better engine - smoother acceleration and pretty nippy. With a strut-brace and coilovers, I would dare compare the Sei Sporting handling to that of a Mini!

I'd never buy one though...unless it was a Schumacher :cool:

On a sidenote - anyone know if any Schumacher Stilos were imported by Fiat Ireland?

There is a 1368 conversion thread on fiat forum.com , looks handy enough, also it goes in like a factory fit.

108bhp out of the box.

add a high duration cam, nice polished head and bigger valves, better intake, better exhaust and a remap, youd be looking at 160bhp at the flywheel:eek:
    Cheap thrills and all that.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

There is a 1368 conversion thread on fiat forum.com , looks handy enough, also it goes in like a factory fit.

108bhp out of the box.

add a high duration cam, nice polished head and bigger valves, better intake, better exhaust and a remap, youd be looking at 160bhp at the flywheel:eek:
    Cheap thrills and all that.:D

The single-cam Mk1 Punto 75 goes straight in, I did it in an afternoon. Ideal would be the 1.25 16v from the Punto Sporting along with the 6-speed box from the Mk2 but it is a considerable amount of hassle.

As a beginners car, they are hard to fault. I had two Cinqs and the brother had a Sei Sporting but the one thing I would caution is that the cooling system falls apart - hoses, waterpump, the lot - and to bargain this in if you're shopping.

Apart from that, €500, firm up the springs and bobs your 30mph opposite lock powerslide on a wet roundabout uncle. There's few better places to learn your driving trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Had a red Sporting for 3 years from "newsed". Great fun around town. The real car was in for servicing at one point, and I took the family to Galway in the Seicento. Not great fun, but it made it there and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

we had a 95 Cinquecento in the family for a couple of years, no mods, just plain and simple. Yes it leaned almightily in corners when you pushed it, it did feel as if it was made out of papier mache, but as a small nippy city car i loved it.
    I think its a perfect example of what FIAT do best - small city runabouts. The interior , from memory, was actually really spacious up front (i know it mighnt have been too good for those sat behind me) Im 6 foot and there was acres of headroom, the cabin was bright and airy without feeling like you were sitting in a greenhouse. Controls were easy to hand, well even the boot was close to hand actually. Coming to think of it, the push on/off buttons for the secondary controls somehow remind me of BL/Rover cars of the early 80, but i digress... fold the rear seats and you could actually get quite a bit of kit in there.
    I've been driving large comfy old Mercs for a number of years but i always have a soft spot and a smile for clever, small cars that have a dash of fun to them, and imo the Cinque (never drove the Sei) is definitely in that group

klaus23 wrote: »
    The single-cam Mk1 Punto 75 goes straight in, I did it in an afternoon. Ideal would be the 1.25 16v from the Punto Sporting along with the 6-speed box from the Mk2 but it is a considerable amount of hassle.

As a beginners car, they are hard to fault. I had two Cinqs and the brother had a Sei Sporting but the one thing I would caution is that the cooling system falls apart - hoses, waterpump, the lot - and to bargain this in if you're shopping.

Apart from that, €500, firm up the springs and bobs your 30mph opposite lock powerslide on a wet roundabout uncle. There's few better places to learn your driving trade.

From the limited(2hrs reading late last night) time I have spent looking into it. Apparantly the 75 single cam ebgine is a bitch to fit as most the seichentos are SPI and the 75 has a MPI. So the easiest way is to have a MPI seichento, then that way you already have MPI ecu, head and intake.
    Whats its like with the extra power? Is it worth the hassle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

On my one and only trip to Rome in '85 about one in 3 cars was an original 500 or 600. All parked at a straight angle to the curb :cool:

2948233032_025bbc0d4b_m.jpg

I had a seicento about 10 years ago on holiday as a rental car. Loved it. Had one of those 2CV style linen full length sunroof, electric and all. The only car I've ever driven that could do a U-turn without using reverse!

I'm just under 6'2 and my legs could never get comfortable in a cinquecento :(

And as for the modern equivalents - FIAT 500 Abarth - say no more :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There a horrible little car anytime your out of a town. My cousin had one and it basically can fall into potholes, plus dinky little wheelbarrow wheels dont help the ride at all.

Great craic chucking it round town though even though i've to stoop when driving it.

Edit: they only got 1.5stars in the ncap tests eeek! Also were any fitted with the FIRE engines? They were great little engines :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

The sporting versions have the FIRE engine
    I drive a Sporting Cinq around town and absolutely love it, but on the other hand, my main car is an E39 BMW. Miles apart, but for a cheap fun car thats economical and easy to park and also very easy to work on, the Cinq/Sei are a great little car. Also, from a reliability point of view, they rank very highly. Check them out here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

Hey volvo boy. The brother has a 899cc one out side the house no NCT but in good order and driving. PM if you fancy a look :p

Advertisement