Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! My car is dead!!!

• 11-06-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

I'm hoping somewhere here can help me with a sudden car death.
    Yesterday morning my battery light came on on the car, I figured battery was on the way out and decided to look at getting a new one at the weekend.
    Today on the way home the car stereo wouldn't turn on so I looked at the dash and the battery light was still on but now the ABS light and the seatbelt light were on too. It was still running ok and I was nearly home so I continued on my way. I put the window down cos of the heat and noticed it was moving seriously slowly.
    Once I got home I left it running and checked that the lights etc were working which they were.
    I turned off the car and now its not turning over at all.
    Even the central locking isn't working.
    When I turn the key I hear the starter motor for maybe a split second or less but thats it and the dash goes blank.

Its a 2003 Seat Leon if that makes any difference.I'm assuming that its the alternator as if the battery was dead I wouldn't be loosing power when running am I right here?
    Any tips or things I can check?
    I don't have jumpleads but will use the wifes car to get some this evening.
    Will jump starting it prove or disprove anything by how it reacts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Sounds like the alternator, but check the battery terminals first to see if they're tight and making good contact and then check the connections on the alternator. Also make sure the alternator belt is intact and is tensioned correctly. Do you have a multi-meter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep your alt is dead, depending on circumstances you can get it reconditioned or replaced from a breakers yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

No multi meter I'm afraid.
    So if the alternator is dead will it jumpstart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Conar wrote: »
    No multi meter I'm afraid.
    So if the alternator is dead will it jumpstart?
    It probably will, but the battery won't charge. Have you looked to see whether the alternator belt is still intact and tight enough?

It will jump-start but you'll be just using the power of the other car and so when you disconnect it you wont get very far before it dies again Im afraid.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    It probably will, but the battery won't charge. Have you looked to see whether the alternator belt is still intact and tight enough?

Up till now I didn't know alternator belts existed :D
    Any tips on where to find it and/or how to check it?
    The battery terminals are tight, making good contact and clean by the way.

It's the only visible belt in the engine, at the front of the engine (side of the car if you're engine's transverse). Mind you, I think it's probably ok - the same belt drives the power steering pump, and your PS was working ok, wasn't it?

Yeah, that looks fine....as far as I can tell anyway.
    I got some jump leads and the car started straight away, ran it for 5 minutes but as soon as I turned off the engine it was completely dead again.

More confirmation that its the alternator or is it worth my while trying a new battery first?

I dont think theres any point. Its definately the alternator. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I agree with the above its defo the alternator - the best bet is get it reconditioned .Its not normally that expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Head to your nearest scrapyard and get a replacement, not a big

job to replace. That or get your old one recondition, also worth

getting a multi-meter. A basic one for €20, always worth having. And

you can check out your new- alternator, should be pushing out 14.2 to

charge your battery.

It could be something as simple as a cable to the alternator having come adrift. Isn't there also a regulator on the alternator?

Cheers lads.
    Any ideas how much I should pay for a new/old one and how much to get it reconditioned?

Don't want to get skanked.

Anan1 wrote: »
    It could be something as simple as a cable to the alternator having come adrift. Isn't there also a regulator on the alternator?
    If the regulator was gone then it would prob be over charging rather than the other way around?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dean09 wrote: »
    If the regulator was gone then it would prob be over charging rather than the other way around?

Or blowing bulbs for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

you'll pick up an alternator from a scrap yard for about 40 squids - a reconditioned one will set you back about 150 min.

Cool.
    Thanks everyone for all the help, very much appreciated.

Just a quick update and question.
    I borrowed my sisters car for work today but on my way out I tried starting the car briefly and it started pretty effortlessly.
    Does this change the alternator theory in any way?

It does, now i'm starting to suspect the battery terminals again?

I'll have a closer look when I get home.
    What should I look out for?

Thanks again for the assistance!

• Advertisement

I'd loosen, reseat and retighten them again, just to be sure. I had a car that wouldn't start a while ago, assumed battery was flat, called the AA. Opened the bonnet for him, don't know why but I gave one of the terminals a bit of a twist, hey presto, car started. Embarrassing.

Advertisement