Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Casual meet - details

• 11-06-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Time: 2 PM

Duration: 4 hours (2PM-6PM)

Consoles: 6 (3xX360 / 3xPS3)

Confirmed Players: 12

Cost: €60 (€5 per person)

Right lads, thats the plan then. If possible, can everyone send me their names via PM (for those who may not like to display it publicly) so that I can write it down. Also, a request, can everyone pay upfront to make it easier to organise the payment. I'll be the guy in the white hoodie with a notepad :)

For the last bit, can I ask if 5 people can bring down 5 copies of SFIV and 5 saves (all chars unlocked) (2xX360 and 3xPS3). I'll bring my copy and memory unit down for X360.

I tried calling XGC to reserve the consoles but the guy said to me to call tomorrow morning to talk to the manager (I don't think the guy on the phone understood what I was saying which is why he'd rather me speak to the manager)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

You can't copy sf4 saves on the ps3. It's locked to prevent people using it to unlock characters, unlock customes etc. Only way to do it is to backup the entire hd and restore the hd.

I am guessing you can't use save games to unlock characters on the 360 too.

Doubt we need to reserve consoles, they seem to have loads there so we can just grab them when people arrive. Also there might be no shows or very late people. More interested in group discounts but it's cheap enough as it is.

And do we have an equal amount of 360 and ps3 players? If there's more ps3 players then it probably makes more sense to get more ps3s etc. Just my 2 cents.

ps: sending pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah as I said I don't think we need to reserve any consoles or anything. I can bring SF4 for the 360, but no save unfortunately, I don't have a memory unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Can't copy saves? :( thats real cr@p. Oh well, nevermind I guess.

I understand that there might be no shows or more people than those registered so I'll keep an eye for who's there. I'll bring my trusty calculator if any adjustments need to be done :)

I'll calculate the split based on who's there from 2 to 3. Only way to manage it properly after is not to allow anymore people to join after then to avoid the possibility of some people considering leaving early and forgetting to pay unless anyone who is coming after 3 could just rent another console for themselves.

To keep it simple, the cost will be divided over 4 hours, even if some people leave early because it'll be a mess otherwise.

Not allow anyone to join after 3? What the hell dude? It's like 2.50 an hour per person, I don't think anyone is going to be devilishly trying to rip you off. Not letting anyone join in after 3 o'clock is a ridiculous idea.

Yeah :), you're right. Just adjusted that bit now :)

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    It's like 2.50 an hour per perso

2.50 per person? I thought it was rent per console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Johnny is my name, see you saturday. Will have to leave around 4p.m or so but I am defo looking forward to it! I can bring my fightpad and an ex2 down both for the xbox, if needed?

Leprekaun wrote: »
    2.50 per person? I thought it was rent per console?

I think when I was down there last we had to pay 2.50 an hour per person - could be wrong though.

Well, I guess if its per person, the cost would be simpler because then everyone can sort themselves out with the XGC people but downside ofcourse is that it'll be more expensive. I'll discuss all this with the manager tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I'll most likely be there around 1ish,I'l bring copy of the game(xbox).

I can take a PS3 stick(the crappy Hori fs3) as well as my xbox stick if there's a need.

• Advertisement

Great! :). Thats the xbox copies sorted now. Come on you PS3 dudes! :)

Aren't most of the people going xbox gamers anyway?

I dunno whos using what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Most are 360 users but there are atleast 3 ps3 users that signed up so I dunno.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll be there. Will bring fightstick and a PS3 copy.

Kirby wrote: »
    Most are 360 users but there are atleast 3 ps3 users that signed up so I dunno.

Well, I'll see anyway when I talk to the manager. If the cost is based on per person, then we can decide there to accommodate for the amount of PS3 and X360 players and then rent the consoles based on the number of players per system (i.e.: 6 xbox players = 3 xboxs or 8 PS3 players = 4 PS3s)

if the rent is based per console then can everyone state what console they use so that we can see how many copies we'd need for each console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Well, I'll see anyway when I talk to the manager. If the cost is based on per person, then we can decide there to accommodate for the amount of PS3 and X360 players and then rent the consoles based on the number of players per system (i.e.: 6 xbox players = 3 xboxs or 8 PS3 players = 4 PS3s)

if the rent is based per console then can everyone state what console they use so that we can see how many copies we'd need for each console.

Do we really need that many? I find half the fun and atmosphere is when you have people watching :p Personally, with around 12 people 3 consoles is probably enough. Maybe I'm in the minority in that one....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah old school winner stays on might be a good option or the winner only stays on for 5 fights before rotating again in case Azza hogs the winners spot with his psycho power.

I'll be bringing a fightstick, fightpad and a 360 copy of the game btw and third strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Leprekaun, you're ringing the mgr today to see if it's per console or hour right? Either way I have no problem paying up front to you.

I can bring a copy of SFIV for the PS3 and 3 Saturn Pads. Would of been bringing a MC TE but I just rang the e-tailer that's shipping it to me and they said it has been reported as "lost" at the couriers... BS tbh... someone nicked it :mad: if any of you lads work for a courier service and turn up with a TE I'll know where you got it :p

I don't mind playing on the 360 though if there's spare sticks or pads. My scrubbness spans all consoles :p

I'll be unlocking Akuma as well if he isn't already. Should only take 10 minutes (i.e. lariat to Seth then swap to the unlock character). I'd say leave Seth alone, too much work for a character I doubt anyone mains.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    or the winner only stays on for 5 fights before rotating again in case Azza hogs the winners spot with his psycho power.

Or, after 5 wins the player is forced to only use flowchart Dan :p

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah old school winner stays on might be a good option or the winner only stays on for 5 fights before rotating again in case Azza hogs the winners spot with his psycho power.

I'll be bringing a fightstick, fightpad and a 360 copy of the game btw and third strike.

Winner stays on sounds good to me

If anyone else has the anniversary edition can they bring it?I'd love to play some Hyper SFII.I've reverted to my ol ways of mostly playing ST lately so I may be a bit rusty at SFIV.

Also I look forward to playing HokenPokems' Dhalsim,I remember watching a replay of your 'Sim on live and being impressed and some guys on SRK complimenting you.Do you play HD Remix or on ggpo at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Isn't winner-stays-on kinda defeating the purpose of casuals?! Its just gonna be like a tourny if I'm waiting around for a chance to play and then losing straight away :(

Plus the better players (i.e. not me) will be able to play way more games. To be honest, I'd prefer more machines so that I can play more and learn more. But if the majority want winner-stays-on then thats ok.

I'm bringing a stick for 360 and a pad for ps3 so if there are an uneven number of ps3 players or whatever I could go either way.

@Leprekaun: my name is Terry

Actually,you do make a fair point about the winner stays on thing,it does add a further competitive element (which there's always going to be a sense of with fighting games) so maybe a corresponding ratio of players to consoles is the best option.

animaX wrote: »
    Isn't winner-stays-on kinda defeating the purpose of casuals?!

nah winner stays on is usually fine. I don't think I've ever had a session of any fighting game with a bunch of lads where it wasn't winner stays on. Although I'd say impose a win limit as the skill level at this thing could be on either ends of the spectrum. Anyway, I don't think it will be structured in any way, just decided upon by whoever is on the console I guess.

I'd also be looking for tips as well as to what I'm doing wrong while playing.

I don't think rotation would be a problem if we have several winner stays on going on at the same time on different consoles and limit winner to 5 wins or something.

ps: I'll bring my ps3 copy of sf4 and a fightstick.

I'm not really hot on the idea of winner stays on because like animax said, defeats the purpose of casuals. I think the best option so that everyone can play as many matches as each other is for every 2 players, 1 console (i.e.: 12 players = 6 consoles) and then just alternate between ourselves if we want to fight other guys. Its the only way to make it fair to everyone. Tbh, if say we rent 3 consoles, then there is that possibility where some guys may have to wait out 15 fights if there are some pro players at each console (i.e: Blag, Balrog player (sorry again for forgetting your name :)) and Mike Guilfoyle). Even if we were to make it winner can only stay on for 5 fights, the ratio of how many fights each person would play wouldn't be balanced evenly. So personally, I vote for getting as many consoles as needed in accordance to the number of people there. If most of you guys want to go with the winner stays on system, I'll go with it. I just wanted to offer my opinion on it :)

@Kirby: For watching fights, YouTube's the best place to go ;). A lot more skill there compared to our kindergarten skills. I don't think anyone here would want to watch a fight more than to actually be in a fight.

You can have 2 consoles dedicated to winners stays on and the rest can still be playing or practicing on the other free consoles though. I mean get all the consoles you want AND do winner stays on. We can decide on the days if people want to do winner stays on.

EDIT: Sorry, made an invalid point :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Winner stays one usually is fine especially if you rotate out the winner after 5 games. Everyone gets to watch entertaining matches which last about 2 mins and your go comes up pretty quickly i find. I find it fairer than having some people hog the machines and adds a small amount of competitiveness wile there's really nothing to play ofr so remains casual.

• Advertisement

Well, the idea is just to meet up and have some games. Purely for the enjoyment of playing some SF. I'm not really interested in watching games as I'm there to play against others. If you would like to watch games, you're obviously welcome to but it shouldn't be at the expense of others who want to play and have to wait. I've called up XGC and told them to book for 4 xboxs and 2 PS3s but explained that we may need more or less according to no shows or more people attending. Thankfully, its 2.50 per console so it'll still be E60 and if there are 12 people, then E5 each rather than E10.

Advertisement