Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Casual meet - details

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Well, the idea is just to meet up and have some games. Purely for the enjoyment of playing some SF. I'm not really interested in watching games as I'm there to play against others. If you would like to watch games, you're obviously welcome to but it shouldn't be at the expense of others who want to play and have to wait. I've called up XGC and told them to book for 4 xboxs and 2 PS3s but explained that we may need more or less according to no shows or more people attending. Thankfully, its 2.50 per console so it'll still be E60 and if there are 12 people, then E5 each rather than E10.

Fair enough if there's enough consoles but if there's not enough consoles people are going to be waiting anyway. I just thought if there aren't enough consoles it would be a fairer way so everyone gets a decent go while introducing a small bit of competition.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll pay straight up Leprekaun. Also thanks for going to the bother for the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

SDooM wrote: »
    I'll pay straight up Leprekaun. Also thanks for going to the bother for the forum!

Bother it is not sir :). I'm just glad I can play against some people (my bro seems to have lost interest in SF lately and I don't have XB Live so I had to play against the silly CPU on hardest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I like Retro's idea of having a winner stays on console and then maybe some open play on others.
    I know it's casuals but a bit of friendly competition adds to the banter, plus you get the chance to have a crack at the better players.

I of course am an SS tier player so I have no fear of Azza's bison, Blags Bison, Kirbys 'Sim or the Witchs C.Viper so will be the winner everytime I play, pffft losers.*

*This is of course a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Leprekaun wrote: »
    If you would like to watch games, you're obviously welcome to but it shouldn't be at the expense of others who want to play and have to wait.
    I don't think anyone was suggesting we get less consoles and do purely winners stays on. I was assuming we'll get the max number of consoles we need and if people feel like starting a winners stays on after an hour or 2 then 1 or 2 consoles could be dedicated to it. People waiting can play on the other consoles we have and you don't have to wait if you don't want to participate. Like I said, can decide on the day.

• Advertisement

The Wal wrote: »
    I like Retro's idea of having a winner stays on console and then maybe some open play on others.
    I know it's casuals but a bit of friendly competition adds to the banter, plus you get the chance to have a crack at the better players.

I of course am an SS tier player so I have no fear of Azza's bison, Blags Bison, Kirbys 'Sim or the Witchs C.Viper so will be the winner everytime I play, pffft losers.*

*This is of course a lie.

I'm going to die, aren't I? :(

(Go easy on the guy who has to spend 3/4 of his time away from his beloved PS3!!! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Another slight issue (more a nuissance really) with winner stays on is re configuring buttons for the different pads/sticks people are using after every game.

Probably just best to see how it goes,I'm sure there'll be no problems.Winner stays on with random select is always fun too.

blag wrote: »
    Another slight issue (more a nuissance really) with winner stays on is re configuring buttons for the different pads/sticks people are using after every game.

Probably just best to see how it goes,I'm sure there'll be no problems.Winner stays on with random select is always fun too.

It's our first meet and it's a bit of fun. I am sure we'll learn from mistakes and gradually make it better.

Personally I'd love it to evolve into a tournament or a league or something. Strong trees from little shoots and all that, though.

I'm going to die, aren't I? :(

I reckon there'll be a pair of us in it Doom :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

(Go easy on the guy who has to spend 3/4 of his time away from his beloved PS3!!! :P)

Go even easier on the guy who has neither a 360 nor a ps3 :D

That guy being me!

• Advertisement

The Wal wrote: »
    I reckon there'll be a pair of us in it Doom :(

At least I won't be alone so!

We can sit in the corner and miss Ultras at each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

None of us are of a high level..... so its all about matchup's. A will beast B but then B will beat C....after C just kicked A's ass. Nobody is gonna win every fight, which is the way it should be. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

At least I won't be alone so!

don't worry, I'll make you look good. Remember I'm the guy who hasn't played SF in over 15 years (even then I could barely do a fireball), never trains, only plays against people online and mains the second weakest character in the game. You might as well hang a punching bag on me and start the line :p

Plan to get a lot more serious when my stick arrives, but I'm just sick atm of whiffing combos with my saturn pad.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    mains the second weakest character in the game. You might as well hang a punching bag on me and start the line :p

Who do you main lee? Guile? coz there are worse.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Judging by this, it could be akuma!

ohhhhh. You meant "weak" as in health. Gotcha. Yeh akuma has low hp, but its because of his godlike offense. Infact, fighting against akuma is one of the few fights sim has a health advantage :D.

With regards to overall power though, akuma is a very good char.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive got 7 hours free for xgc. I cant get up tomorrow but ill bring it up to the next one if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I think winner stays on is most fun tbh, kind of goes with the territory of the genre.

edit: I'm sure we'll have enough consoles and people to suit both camps though.

Someone should bring a camera.

Does anyone want to go for a drink or two after if it goes well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Someone should bring a camera.

Ah, my other vice :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, can head for a pint I'm pretty sure.

Of course, if anyone is under 18 I am not inviting you out to beer at all, off the premesis at 9 and all that. *

* Boards red tape fulfilled

pretty sure we are all over 18. My real name is Horhe Santos Hernandez btw....it says so on my very real, very official I.D. :D It was either that, or McLovin.

I actually logged on just to suggest the very thing.
    I will indeed be taking a sweet, sweet victory/ bitter, bitter defeat pint afterwards if anyone else is going.

Christ. 18 hours before I meet my forum mates for combat for the first time I do THIS to my left thumb...

Snapshot_20090612.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Good chance I'll be up to this tomorrow (no guarentee though I'm afraid ) anyone care to do a synopsis for me?

I did the same in colege today but it's my left thumb so I'm fine :) Good old joysticks.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I did the same in colege today but it's my left thumb so I'm fine :) Good old joysticks.

It's not hurting when i type so I reckon I have gotten away with it...

You can just winecup the stick anyway if it's your left thumb, should be grand.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    You can just winecup the stick anyway if it's your left thumb, should be grand.

I never managed that. Tried it but the machines in Barnies always seemed to have the sticks burned on the underside so the mold had gone out of shape and was difficult to hold.

Ah, memories.

Advertisement