Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone is using my photograph

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

No benefit for you in them taking it down. Id say send them an invoice. Don't go crazy with the amount though.

Your work though you deserve to be compensated

How much is the norm for such a thing?

I sent them an invoice for €35.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What really annoys me is that these web designers think they can just pull images from a site & use them like that. You wonder how many of the other images on the site have been stolen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

How did you know they were using it? Through flickr? Also how did you go about sending them an invoice? Just like a normal email?

I always see these threads but never understood how to actually send an invoice.. Apart from the ones you get when you buy stuff online or in a shop..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Easiest €35 you'll ever make, lol

But that must annoy you, I have to admit id be pretty annoyed if I just stumble across something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

There should be no problem about sorting it out. Your photo is clearly marked "All Rights Reserved"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_rights_reserved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Tallon wrote: »
    Easiest €35 you'll ever make, lol

Chances are they'll just ignore the invoice and maybe quietly take down the picture, even that's probably a best case scenario :(

dazftw wrote: »
    How did you know they were using it? Through flickr? Also how did you go about sending them an invoice? Just like a normal email?

I always see these threads but never understood how to actually send an invoice.. Apart from the ones you get when you buy stuff online or in a shop..

total fluke, that image came up through a google search and I tracked it back to see on what page it was. Their image was ranked higher then mine.

I just emailed them. The website had a livechat where I talked to an agent to get an email address. Nothing back yet from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

the pic they are using is slightly cropped, have you noticed

• Advertisement

Chances are they'll just ignore the invoice and maybe quietly take down the picture, even that's probably a best case scenario :(

Good point, it may be a good idea to Print screen it

Good point.

My flickr stats spiked today! 165 views overall, 115 of 'that photo', 71% from boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

At least one of the other photos on the 'Wexford' page has been taken from another flickr user. I'd say if you searched around, you could find more.

What?
    All those are my own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

What?
    All those are my own.

Slow down there chief.

Read what he said again and then take a step back and have a little think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

More photos on the Irish Experience website seem to have their origins on flickr, that's all :)

Check out the one from
    'Wexford Baginbun Bay'

Cool, thought you meant the 'Wexford' set of mine.

No contact back from there.

A lot of sites use agencies to find photos for them, so you may have to discover who it is exactly who chose to upload your photo in the first place, which is time consuming... as this blogger found:

http://blog.twilightfairy.in/2008/09/01/toi-believes-flickr-is-for-flicking/

I spent some time looking at copyright about 18 months ago and it was a revelation.

http://members.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58296185

I stopped uploading photos directly to Blogger because of the way they were searched by Google and found Flickr better.

At the moment I'm uploading directly to Boards.ie as it saves time and energy. Perhaps this could be a safe option for you too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Should be interesting to see what happens.

if they don't pay, make a copyright infringement complaint. it's likely that they got all their photos from flickr. actually, don't waste your time. They're based in india

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

if they don't pay, make a copyright infringement complaint. it's likely that they got all their photos from flickr. actually, don't waste your time. They're based in india

Or put a copyright/watermark on all pics you upload

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

As a web designer I just DO NOT understand this behaviour - legal stock photos can be used for literally a few quid. If you do hear back from them, you might want to point out that their web designers have placed them in what could be a very awkward legal situation for the sake of a pittance. And they probably spent thousands on the site. Grrr.. gives us all a bad name :mad:

I hope you get paid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

TinEye is a great resource for finding out if your photos are being used elsewhere. I just spent half an hour having a gander...seems you're not the only one this is happening to...

TinEye is a great resource for finding out if your photos are being used elsewhere.

If it worked.......

EDIT: Sorry, it seems to work sometimes....

http://www.jazzbiscuit.com/2008/06/18/boardsie-the-leaving-cert-cheating-and-live-line/

If it worked.......

EDIT: Sorry, it seems to work sometimes....

http://www.jazzbiscuit.com/2008/06/18/boardsie-the-leaving-cert-cheating-and-live-line/

May I politely direct you to post #16 in this thread ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Do I send an invoice? Ask them to take it down?
    Yeah, same thing just happened here..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055588835

May I politely direct you to post #16 in this thread ....

you can direct me to it, but the dam thing still doesnt work 8 times out of 10

you can direct me to it, but the dam thing still doesnt work 8 times out of 10

you mean it doesn't find anything? Maybe the pictures you are looking for don't exist anywhere else ?

you mean it doesn't find anything? Maybe the pictures you are looking for don't exist anywhere else ?

No, im looking for pictures I know are in 2+ places....

Anyway, getting a bit off topic here.

Any word back yet zaraba??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No, im looking for pictures I know are in 2+ places....

Anyway, getting a bit off topic here.

Any word back yet zaraba??

I have to agree. I tried it there with some images of mine that are used on a few blogs, it didn't find anything.

• Advertisement

No, im looking for pictures I know are in 2+ places....?

I think a photo has to be quite high profile to show up with more than one link in Tinyeye.

For example:

http://tineye.com/search/159cdca8c8f0ada88d5492d5a609704d1683179f

The photo showed up at once, but it is not being used in any context on the net.

Bloggers are getting great mileage out of Flickr flicking...

http://mutiny.in/2008/09/26/toi-flicks-an-image-off-flickr-again/

This is an age-old problem. What strikes me is the number of photos on Flickr that are almost identical. I play a sort of "snap" game to see who has been to the same place and taken similar photos as my own.

What photo sharing site is the safest if one wishes to protect work?

Advertisement