Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone is using my photograph

Options
2»

Comments

No word back yet, but my flickr stats are through the roof! 300 views for that photo now.

I'll just start watermarking, the images I guess. Is there an easy way to do this in GIMP?

I flickrmailed the owner of that other wexford image on the site, he wrote back and didn't seem surprised about them doing this. He is contacting them as well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

No word back yet, but my flickr stats are through the roof! 300 views for that photo now.

I'll just start watermarking, the images I guess. Is there an easy way to do this in GIMP?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2176726_watermark-digital-art-using-gimp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheWealth

I guess everything has a silver lining!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

As an aside zaraba, your Wexford set is very good, some photos with fantastic composition.

• Advertisement

To put this all very bluntly - it is the internet!! this should be expected, mark your photos if you dont want them used.

For what purposes do you put your photos on flickr for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Any replies? Im curious to see what happen?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Nope, not expecting much tbh.

I put them up so people could see them I guess - get feedback etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

To put this all very bluntly - it is the internet!! this should be expected, mark your photos if you dont want them used.

I hate that attitude. It's the same one as "serves you right for being in town after dark" and "what did you expect, having an expensive phone like that".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I hate that attitude. It's the same one as "serves you right for being in town after dark" and "what did you expect, having an expensive phone like that".

While I agree that "I told you so" is not helpful, I know more people who have been mugged after dark (including myself) than during the day and who have, when taking risks, exposed themselves to more annoyances to those who take no risks at all.

I have found links to my Flickr photos on various sites around the net. Most of them have the honourable practice of linking back to the original page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I think I know what your trying to say, but in fairness every picture on the site does have U000A9.png All rights reserved

Plus the general rule of the internet is you can't use a picture without permission

ah lads its not an "i told you so attitude" but you have to realise the amount of piracy on the internet. It IS to be expected. My advice is that you watermark it.
    Tallon wrote: »
    Plus the general rule of the internet is you can't use a picture without permission

I will often do a google images search and if i find a nice pic I will use it as a wallpaper. Anyone else ever do this? Anyone else ever download music? Anyone here download movies? Maybe ye dont but there are MILLIONS who do.

Mark photos that you dont want people to use is all Im saying and dont think that there arent websites ripping good quality photos and selling them as their own work too. Very naive to think otherwise.
    Tallon wrote: »
    but in fairness every picture on the site does have U000A9.png All rights reserved
    Half the internet will not respect that at all.

I have a free Flickr account and have just discovered one of the advantages of not having a professional account. Original size photos cannot be dowloaded from a free account:

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/27533/?search=originals

When using Internet sites to store large images, it would seem sensible to keep it private and accessible only to friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

With a 'Pro' account you can change your settings to not allow anyone see the larger image sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Fajitas is right, all of my images can be seen in one size only, you can allow large images but if you want to ensure nobody can steal a decent quality image you real should deactivate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Anouilh wrote: »
    I have a free Flickr account and have just discovered one of the advantages of not having a professional account. Original size photos cannot be dowloaded from a free account:

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/27533/?search=originals

When using Internet sites to store large images, it would seem sensible to keep it private and accessible only to friends.

This is one of the reasons that I dislike flickr - their terms and conditions which lets them hold onto the an original size not releasing it back to you (effectively) I hate. Having said that I now only upload 800px longest side images so I shouldn't let this worry me tbh ;) It did bother me previously when I was looking for an original of one of my images in a hurray. I knew I had sent it to flickr but not having a pro account meant that they wouldn't give it back to me.

I think people should have a definite personal policy as to using online photo sites - as sharing - rather than a comprehensive backup solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

agreed also with an cat, i resize my images down even though i have a pro account.

Watermarking is also a deterrent and tips for making more subtle effects could be useful. I've started running copright notices along lines within a photograph:

http://shortsights.blogspot.com/2009/09/like-marks-in-water.html#links

It has also been said that popular photographers have their work taken less often than those who have a low profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I sent them an invoice for €35.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Indian company. I'd say you have little to no chance of getting your money. Or even a reply.

If you run into trouble, you could contact this lady:

http://nitawriter.wordpress.com/2008/05/30/a-major-indian-newspaper-steals-a-bloggers-photograph/

She sounds like the Peig Sayers of the blogosphere...

• Advertisement
Advertisement