Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underage Tattooing

• 11-06-2009 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi,
    just wanted to get others opinions on this, my 15 year old cousin recently got a fairly big tattoo around her ankle and onto her foot. she has been on about getting a tattoo for the past couple of years and always had a fascination with all of my tattoos since she was really young and i told her that as soon as she turned 18 i would bring her in to get something done. anyway, she went ahead and went into town and someone actually done it for her. by no stretch of the imagination does she look over 18, she hardly even looks 15. im baffled and kinda annoyed that somewhere will actually put such a huge mark onto a kid...she didnt have her mams consent and she went in with a school friend (though her mam was very blase about it) i am going mad cos i think that if a place has no concerns about tattooing someone underage what else do they not care about. she told me the street she got it done at, and afaik there is only one tattoo shop here, which i thought had a fairly decent rep...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

congrats on setting a good example i guess...

why don't you go and ring joe duffy about it or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jenvalo

why would i ring joe duffy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Damien1989

Thats not good. An EX-Friend of my Mothers allowed her 15 year old son to get a Tattoo of a Naked Woman on his Arm. It's ridiculous.

He looks about 10, Barely knows his arse from his elbow!

Damien1989 wrote: »
    Thats not good. An EX-Friend of my Mothers allowed her 15 year old son to get a Tattoo of a Naked Woman on his Arm. It's ridiculous.

He looks about 10, Barely knows his arse from his elbow!

i know, i was amazed when i said it to her mam asking why she let her and she just shrugged her shoulders...obv there is not much that she can do now, but if it was me i would have murder. she is a very young 15, and the issue is the fact that its such a big obvious tattoo...and some dickhead permanently marked her for life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ass wrote: »
    congrats on setting a good example i guess...

why don't you go and ring joe duffy about it or something.
    An utterly pointless post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

An utterly pointless post.

+1

Whats done is done. And being an influence (good or bad) has nothing to do with the fact that some tattoo artist somewhere decided they needed the money bad enough to effect a 15yo kid. Cause that's technically what she still is.

Or do you have it in for people who enjoy tattoo;s?

+1

Whats done is done. And being an influence (good or bad) has nothing to do with the fact that some tattoo artist somewhere decided they needed the money bad enough to effect a 15yo kid. Cause that's technically what she still is.

Or do you have it in for people who enjoy tattoo;s?

indeed, whats done is done-cant do nothing now! i was shocked (maybe im very naive) as i really did not think that any shop would do this....really thought the shops like that were long gone!! im confused as to the original 'influence' reference?!! i was just trying to give a bit of background that im not some numpty who cant stand anything remotely different..im quite well versed in all things tattoo and thats prob why im going mad- its places like this that give the really good places a bad rap and make everyone who sees this child with a big black tattoo on her leg think that tattooing is dodgy..and all the other cliches...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

Unfortunaly there is no law in ireland for age restrictions on people getting tattooed and i know a few places that wont tattoo anyone under the age of 18 becuase they dont want to have any parents going down to there shop and raisin hell,im totally against anyone under the age of 18 gettin tattoo without there parents known that there doing it and the parents have given consent for it.I think there should be tattoo laws in ireland like there is nearly all over the world,the guy who done that 15 year old should've known she was under age even tho there is no law,I also know some tattooers settin or tryin to set up pettions to get a law brought in and i for one agree with what there doing but the stupid goverment wont do anything bout it. :mad::eek:

littleman wrote: »
    Unfortunaly there is no law in ireland for age restrictions on people getting tattooed and i know a few places that wont tattoo anyone under the age of 18 becuase they dont want to have any parents going down to there shop and raisin hell,im totally against anyone under the age of 18 gettin tattoo without there parents known that there doing it and the parents have given consent for it.I think there should be tattoo laws in ireland like there is nearly all over the world,the guy who done that 15 year old should've known she was under age even tho there is no law,I also know some tattooers settin or tryin to set up pettions to get a law brought in and i for one agree with what there doing but the stupid goverment wont do anything bout it. :mad::eek:
    you cant be underage if there is no law stating the legal age;)

As far as I know there is a legal requirement on the age but thats pretty much it

As far as I know there is a legal requirement on the age but thats pretty much it[/quote]

There is no law for tattoos,i know a good few tattoo artists and there are 2 of them trying to get a law put in,its tattoo shops puttin there own age requirment for people gettin tattooed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

in my eyes 15 is still a child, one of my mates kids got a tattoo last yr when she was 15, i found out who did it and went to talk to him, he thought she was older, he apologized and assured me he had no idea, i actually know this guy quite well, fortunately the tattoo is not in an obvious place.

if u are aware of a kid beign inked, go talk to the artist, in alot of cases these kids are bloody good liars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I got my first tattoo when i was 15, with no id, no parents and it was a very well known, reputable place. At the time i was just chuffed that they agreed to tattoo me but now , looking back, it was waaaay too easy to get, i got it the first place i tried with very few questions asked. Admittedly i looked slightly older than 15, but by no means 18. Laws definately need to be set in stone imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

For sure, I really wish there would be laws put in place, for the protection of both the people and the artists.

Excatly,so why are people going mad that people are underage gettin tattooed,i think there should b a pole set up just to see what people really think bout under age tattoos.If the mod would be willing to set this up id be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Excatly,so why are people going mad that people are underage gettin tattooed,i think there should b a pole set up just to see what people really think bout under age tattoos.If the mod would be willing to set this up id be happy

why not set up a poll to find out what people REALLY think of having sex with minors while we are at it.?

hot2def wrote: »
    why not set up a poll to find out what people REALLY think of having sex with minors while we are at it.?

How stupid are you,cop on,u must be that stupid,what your saying its alrite for 15year old to get tattooed,there only f*ckin kids they dont know sh1t,of course we no what people are going to say bout people havin sex with minors are going tosay and ill say it now,they should be all shot and burned,this is about underage tattooing,cop on dum ass

How stupid are you,cop on,u must be that stupid,what your saying its alrite for 15year old to get tattooed,there only f*ckin kids they dont know sh1t,of course we no what people are going to say bout people havin sex with minors are going tosay and ill say it now,they should be all shot and burned,this is about underage tattooing,cop on dum ass
    well thats a banning/warning coming...well thats what my crystal ball says. Oh and when you post calling someone dumb make sure your post is correct.
    eg. Dumb is spelled dumb not dum.

Also you'll realise that she does not once say that it's ok for 15 year olds to get tattoo'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Not once did she say it's alright for a 15 year old to get tattooed, in fact I believe she was suggesting the exact opposite.

Anyway, back on topic, yes it's terrifying that there are places that tattoo people that young, and it's also terrifying that some parents just seem to turn a blind eye. The industry does need to be regulated because there is no way to stop these places from tattooing minors when there are no laws in place to do so.

No, there will not be any poll of the sort issued. It's a clear cut issue. Tattooing minors is bad, and anyone with an ounce of cop on would agree. The only people that would vote otherwise are kids that want to get tattooed.
    Infraction issued. Read the forum charter please, being abusive is not permitted.
    If you want to have a rant at someone, first make sure you've understood what they've said, and secondly, take it elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

kirk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I got my first tattoo at 16, although its an OK tattoo and dont regret it, looking back on it now i wasnt no way mature enough to know exactly what i wanted and knowing to fullest consequences of my decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

not showing:confused: ^

Ok fair enough my bad,its just when someone says something like what was said i kinda lost it,we should all pull together and try and get a law inforced but since there is no free speach i dont think it ill happen at all

You picked her up totally the wrong way though littleman, so there was no need.
    Also it's general boards policy that rather than starting off at someone, you simply report the post if you believe there to be a problem with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Littleman---In some countries if an artist tattoos a minor they can be put on the sex offenders register.Should be the law here but it isnt.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Littleman---In some countries if an artist tattoos a minor they can be put on the sex offenders register.Should be the law here but it isnt.

Then why dont people join together and try get these laws into place and these people shut down so its stopped fully, I dont have a problem with her,I put a suggestion out and she took it the wrong way but what can I do now,what done is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Hellrazer wrote: »

Which countries would these be?

Advertisement