Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virus in my Hotmail account

• 11-06-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21

hi there,
    I'm not the most technological person in the world but not the least either, but i am hoping somebody can help me with this.
    About a week ago, my hotmail account sent a message to everybody in my contacts, basically some sort of spam advertising electronincs or that type of thing. It also deleted all my contacts which i was able to restore easily enough by going to sent messages. I got a bit of advice to install a contact AAA with an accompanying email address to my contacts and I thought that had sorted it. It only partly solved the problem as this evening I noticed that my hotmail attempted to do the same thing again today. the only thing is that the AAA contact stopped it and they were all sent to my inbox as "undelivered"
    has anybody else had this happen to them and how did/do you get it stopped??
    Any help appreciated
    Simplyc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Aye the same thing is happening to me, but thankfully its left my contacts alone.

If anyone has a solution to this, it would be much appreciated.

Edit....If I had bothered to google it beforehand, I would have seen that it is widespread. A change of password may do the trick according to some sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 simplyc73

I know it's not nice to say this, but I'm gald that somebody else was affected!! It seems to have disappeared now that I'm no longer decieved by these email address that look exactly like some of my contacts. So here's hoping but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Change your passwords.

There was a keylogger on a computer that huffed my passwords a while back. All I had to do was rechange it to something different after nailing the bugger, and the problems stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

simplyc73 wrote: »
    hi there,
    I'm not the most technological person in the world but not the least either, but i am hoping somebody can help me with this.
    About a week ago, my hotmail account sent a message to everybody in my contacts, basically some sort of spam advertising electronincs or that type of thing. It also deleted all my contacts which i was able to restore easily enough by going to sent messages. I got a bit of advice to install a contact AAA with an accompanying email address to my contacts and I thought that had sorted it. It only partly solved the problem as this evening I noticed that my hotmail attempted to do the same thing again today. the only thing is that the AAA contact stopped it and they were all sent to my inbox as "undelivered"
    has anybody else had this happen to them and how did/do you get it stopped??
    Any help appreciated
    Simplyc
    Had the same thing. I deleted my contact list and immediately changed my password. Odd though that it only sent harmless msgs based on a popular companies product range. Is this particular company responsible for this? Or is it an attempt to villify them.

In my case it was a trendy sports ware companies products that was being sent to myself and presumably others in my contact list. Is this the same for others?

Advertisement