Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing in photos to hairdressers

Options
  • 11-06-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonnie1810

Hey brought in a picture of reece witherspoon in to the hairdresser to get my hair cut like hers because I couldn't explain how I wanted my fringe cut thought that this would help them but the hairdresser just looked around to another and started smirking!!:confused: and its not the first time that this happened but when it happened the first time it was in a old fashioned place so it didn't really bother me that much but this time it was at a new salon!!! Is this a big no no??? Has anybody else got this sorta feeling when they bring in pictures??? (btw im not deluded I know that I don't look like reece!!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

well......not being a lady here but I've had mixed experiences :)
    When I did bring photos in, some hairdressers go OH WOW HOW COOL and do it the way I want, the last time I brought in a photo in the hairdresser was like oh ya sure and told me to put it in my pocket..then gave me something completely different :)
    But when I didn't bring a photo in, i've always ended up having the cool foreign stylist in peter mark who can't speak a lick of english so it's a struggle to explain what I want !

But at the end of the day YOU'RE the customer and it's what YOU want ! =p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

That's incredicbly rude of the hairdresser to smirk. You're the customer, you're probably paying good money to get your hair done the way you want, and if a picture helps you to explain what you want then so be it.

I'd take my custom elsewhere if I were you. :) I doubt they're going to be in business much longer if they keep up that sort of attitude, people won't stand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I hope you asked them wtf they thought they were doing and left. I would have, and I'm rarely confrontational.
    Plus if someone is going to smirk about what style I want, I wouldn't trust them near my hair anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

God definitely go elsewhere!! The last time I changed hairdressers I brought a pic of my hair about a year ago to show her how I wanted it cut and she even encouraged me to have a look through hair mags too in order to make sure she knew what I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

Very rude of them to smirk. If at all possible I would go elsewhere.

Taking in a picture is a great idea, I always do it. It's easier than explaining it in words and if the stylist can see a picture of the completed 'do they can plan it out and decide how best to go about the cut. They can also advise if the cut you want wouldn't suit your hair type or face shape.

I'd say take a few pictures. (Then they won't think you're trying to look like the one celeb you bring with you.) If you could find the hairstyle on a few different people that would help because it will give a more rounded view of the style, as every hairstyle will look different on different people due to how long/thick their hair is.

• Advertisement

• Yeah I don't get that. My friends said they wouldn't bring in a picture as they'd feel silly. I guess some (nasty!) hairdressers might think 'look at her, she thinks she looks like Scarlett Johanssen' or something :rolleyes: Or they think it's unrealistic to expect them to recreate some celebrity's hairstyle. I don't see the problem with it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

a hairdresser should be happy to have a guide. i got the smirk from a hairdresser but i've had pretty unusual cuts/colours in the past and sometimes words alone isn't enough. someone smirked i asked them whats funny and asked if they'd prefer no guide and a very unhappy customer who refuses to pay for a ****ed up hairdo. all i got was "i can't do it luv, i don't know how" *sigh*. cue next hairdresser with a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

That's bang out of order alright! You're paying them A LOT I'd imagine. You want what you want. Snyde bitch!

I've often wanted my hair like something I've seen in a film or something. But being a bloke, I have to admit I'd feel really silly asking for it. So I usually go for the tight at the sides, short on top :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

bluewolf wrote: »
    I hope you asked them wtf they thought they were doing and left. I would have, and I'm rarely confrontational.
    Plus if someone is going to smirk about what style I want, I wouldn't trust them near my hair anyway.

+ 1 million.

ugh im kinda angry just thinking about it. the cheek of her :eek:

i used to be quite shy about my reactions to ppl doing my hair, beauty things, whatever, but youve got to remember that youre PAYING them for a SERVICE. If you dont like what theyre doing, say it. Im not saying be rude to them, God no, but as a customer you deserve a level of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonnie1810

Didnt really pay much for it the salon had a student night. I was sorta shocked that the professional hairdresser didn't say anythign to the girl she was directly in front of her!! Any way im not too bothered as i doubt il ever go back there again!!!!

• Advertisement

I know I probably wouldn't do it but, I don't think you'd be at all out of order ringing the manager and telling them why you won't be going back. Ye might get a freebie or discount :D

I just have visions of that scene in Intermission where your one working in Dunnes or something keeps tutting as she's serving someone and the other "your one" freaks and tells her to do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I once took a pic of Dolph Lundgren to the hair salon (twas for Haloween, Im not a big girly man I swear!). The girl cutting my hair was all, "Okey dokey", when another walked past, "Aw sweet dolph Lundgren!".
    I was in good hands. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

G86 wrote: »
    God definitely go elsewhere!! The last time I changed hairdressers I brought a pic of my hair about a year ago to show her how I wanted it cut and she even encouraged me to have a look through hair mags too in order to make sure she knew what I wanted.

There's hair mags? :eek:

See you can never be sure if they're smirking about your pic/idea or some other in-joke that has nothing to do with your hair, so there's a fine line in storming out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Just asked my mother today. She was a hairdresser for years (I still get free haircuts :D). She said she always liked it when people brought in reference photos. Made her job a lot easier, and she could point out whether or not it would suit the person's face, tell them how to modify it for their face shape, etc.

But she also said a lot of hairdressers could get fairly self-righteous about it.. but she preferred pics because a lot of time things are lost in communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

bonnie1810 wrote: »
    Hey brought in a picture of reece witherspoon in to the hairdresser

Which photo was it?

933.jpg

Galvasean wrote: »
    I once took a pic of Dolph Lundgren to the hair salon (twas for Haloween, Im not a big girly man I swear!). The girl cutting my hair was all, "Okey dokey", when another walked past, "Aw sweet dolph Lundgren!".
    I was in good hands. :)

Who were you? Guille from Street Fighter? :D

I'd imagine a pic would make a hair dressers job much easier. Instead of saying "oh, do this bit like that and I want a bit of a ... here like this". Surely showing them a picture and saying "I want this" would be the easiest.

I've just thought to myself, what the hell am I doing in this thread. :confused:Anything to avoid work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

bonnie1810 wrote: »
    Hey brought in a picture of reece witherspoon in to the hairdresser to get my hair cut like hers because I couldn't explain how I wanted my fringe cut thought that this would help them but the hairdresser just looked around to another and started smirking!!:confused: and its not the first time that this happened but when it happened the first time it was in a old fashioned place so it didn't really bother me that much but this time it was at a new salon!!! Is this a big no no??? Has anybody else got this sorta feeling when they bring in pictures??? (btw im not deluded I know that I don't look like reece!!!)

Perhaps she didn't feel you could pull off the look ... what with the absence of a GIANT chin, and all.

Advertisement