Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctions imposed for cheating

Options
  • 11-06-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Right, from reading through threads on this forum about phones going off in the classroom can someone tell me what sanctions and whatnot are imposed on those that have their phones TAKEN? Are their grades disqualified or what happens? Do they get 0 in everything or what? I tried to get a quick answer online but funnily enough I can't find any concrete info.

(And NO I didn't have mine taken:D)

Thanks all
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

well,I'm no examiner.But as far as I know they,at most would put a note on your answer book saying you were found with it,just in case any inconsistencies show up in your paper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Right, from reading through threads on this forum about phones going off in the classroom can someone tell me what sanctions and whatnot are imposed on those that have their phones TAKEN? Are their grades disqualified or what happens? Do they get 0 in everything or what? I tried to get a quick answer online but funnily enough I can't find any concrete info.

(And NO I didn't have mine taken:D)

Thanks all

My girlfriend got her times mixed up and texted me during Business asking how it went. I had forgotten to turn my phone off and it vibrates every 2 minutes when i get a text. I just asked the examiner if I could turn it off. She's gone now, and I've got an EVEN MORE laid back examiner. We start 5 or ten minutes early and finish just as late :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We're not having another thread discussing cheating.
    Ask your supervisor what the sanction is in your school for having a mobile taken off them.

Or if anyone else here knows what actually happens they can give advise/links

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

It happened to some guy in our school last year. Our teachers warned us alot about it this year. What happens is, they confiscate it off you and they send it off to the SEC where it's examined for anything you could've used to cheat. I don't think anything happened to him but it must have been a horrible summer waiting for the results. That's only if you have a strict examiner though. I'd say most would just make you turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

My phone went off the other day and the examiner said nothin. In all fairness their hardly gonna send it away unless you were texting someone or watever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

It has happened twice this year. THe phones have been taken off the people involved and now they will be sent to athlone to be inspected to determine if the person in question was cheating. Thats Fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Honestly, who the f**k cares about a phone going off? It's obviously accidental as in the person forget to turn it off. Chilax people.

K4t wrote: »
    Honestly, who the f**k cares about a phone going off? It's obviously accidental as in the person forget to turn it off. Chilax people.
    People DO care... and that's why the OP has asked if anyone knows the procedure of what happens in this situation. Not opinions on what people think of the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ahoy!

K4t wrote: »
    hey man,the L.C. iz srs bizniss...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

still dont understand why you care

• Advertisement

ok last warning, this is a serious question, if all people want to say is 'why do you care' or giving their opinions on the rules etc, I'll infract them / lock this. You don't have to post in this thread if you don't have info

star-pants wrote: »
    ok last warning, this is a serious question, if all people want to say is 'why do you care' or giving their opinions on the rules etc, I'll infract them / lock this. You don't have to post in this thread if you don't have info

Hear Hear, Please keep this thread going because I want to see what happens to other people. Because I am evil.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

When I as in Junior Cert many years ago, my phone went off and the examiner simply told me to turn it off and that was it.

Last year in my old school, two girls were caught red-handed cheating and the examiner did nothing, or if he did nothing became of the infractions. I was told one girl in question put up her hand to go to the bathroom and when she got up a page of notes fell from her pocket. Examiner took her out of the hall, but she still was awarded normal marks for her paper.

I feel this is extremely unfair for the students who did everything correctly and didn't cheat. She should have been docked marks at least. I suppose it depends on the examiner to see what will be done if you are caught. There should be more specific guidelines and rules to be followed.

When I as in Junior Cert many years ago, my phone went off and the examiner simply told me to turn it off and that was it.

Last year in my old school, two girls were caught red-handed cheating and the examiner did nothing, or if he did nothing became of the infractions. I was told one girl in question put up her hand to go to the bathroom and when she got up a page of notes fell from her pocket. Examiner took her out of the hall, but she still was awarded normal marks for her paper.

I feel this is extremely unfair for the students who did everything correctly and didn't cheat. She should have been docked marks at least. I suppose it depends on the examiner to see what will be done if you are caught. There should be more specific guidelines and rules to be followed.

was the girl a junior cert student ? if she was i can see where the examiners coming from, the girls young he probably saw it as a foolish mistake and reporting her could ruin her chances of college

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

was the girl a junior cert student ? if she was i can see where the examiners coming from, the girls young he probably saw it as a foolish mistake and reporting her could ruin her chances of college

Then why bother having rules at all?

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Then why bother having rules at all?

i see your point i just think it would be awfully cruel to destroy someones leaving because of a mistake they make at 15

if he caught her a second time i would understand reporting her, i suppose he just gave her a stern warning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah I agree, it's only the junior cert, it doesn't matter. If she was reported she wouldn't be allowed do her leaving cert! yes it's a bit unfair but who cares what you get in your junior cert? the leaving cert is a different matter though. I get a bit pissed off when I see people cheating in my exam hall but you can't really report them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

I dunno, I think something should have been done about it. It's crazy to think she someone would even attempt to do this. It's the sheer arrogance of bringing in the notes, that's annoying me.

Personally, If I was the superintendent, I would have kicked her out of that exam early and would have had a discussion with the principal about the whole thing.

They are the kind of people I hate: People who think they can get away with doing whatever they want; thinking they are above the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

If you get caught cheating in your driver theory test your not allowed to sit any state exam for 10 years according to the rules. Now that would be unfair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

my friend had one formula written on his hand for maths and got caught.
    The examiner just disqualified the question that required that formula. I'm the sanctions vary on the examiners mood/ soundness. If it was a genuine mistake like what happened to me during an exam this year they understand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

how could he get caught with one formula on his hand? :pac: and then the people with reams of **** written on their arms or phones don't get caught at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ah ya i know what you all mean, it varies by the examiner. I'm not reporting anyone so thats clear too, i just meant what actually happens. Thanks for the replies.:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

most people in my centre had every formula possible written on their calculators.... I suppose this type of 'cheating' is common in maths

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

mikeglee wrote: »
    It has happened twice this year. THe phones have been taken off the people involved and now they will be sent to athlone to be inspected to determine if the person in question was cheating. Thats Fact

I don't know now.. Personal property can't be surrendered to anyone like that. As far as I know Customs, Gardai and a judge can only ask you to surrender something.

But seriously, cheating, I don't see the problem. I don't cheat, never have and never will. Cheaters always get caught, life is a testament to that. No one gets away with something indefinetly. Let it slide because eventually, they will get whats coming to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

yeah-boy wrote: »
    most people in my centre had every formula possible written on their calculators.... I suppose this type of 'cheating' is common in maths
    And there's silly me with a bottle of turpentine the morning of trying to get every bit of writing off -just in case the examiner mistook any of it for cheating :rolleyes:

BTW, what's the exact punishment for cheating on a state exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭coolkidd

If you get caught cheating and you are reported for it, then you will be banned from sitting state exams for a MINIMUM of 3 years (maximum of 6 years).

If you are caught using a phone, if the examinar can prove you had noted on it then it counts as cheating. You will be punished accordingly.
    It is extremely difficult to prove someone has notes on there phone which is why there has only been two people caught cheating ( with handheld mobile phones ) in the last three years. . . .

ironclaw wrote: »
    I don't know now.. Personal property can't be surrendered to anyone like that. As far as I know Customs, Gardai and a judge can only ask you to surrender something.

But seriously, cheating, I don't see the problem. I don't cheat, never have and never will. Cheaters always get caught, life is a testament to that. No one gets away with something indefinetly. Let it slide because eventually, they will get whats coming to them.

I understand where you are coming from but this has been the case twice in my school and I have seen the letter that was given to the perpretror in question

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

notes were found in the toilets in my school and they came around at the beginning of our maths exam to tell us that they were being sent off with the scripts for the handwriting to be identified and rightly so. why should someone do someone else out of a college place by cheating

leesmom wrote: »
    notes were found in the toilets in my school and they came around at the beginning of our maths exam to tell us that they were being sent off with the scripts for the handwriting to be identified and rightly so. why should someone do someone else out of a college place by cheating

haha sorry i find that a bit unbelieveable i bet they were just trying to scare the cheats,to think that they pay to have the writing identified seems a bit far fetched, even then there wouldn't be enough substantial proof. They told us in the institute they found notes in the toilets and they'd be sending them to the examinations commission but they said nothing about this handwriting identification lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

haha sorry i find that a bit unbelieveable i bet they were just trying to scare the cheats,to think that they pay to have the writing identified seems a bit far fetched, even then there wouldn't be enough substantial proof. They told us in the institute they found notes in the toilets and they'd be sending them to the examinations commission but they said nothing about this handwriting identification lol
    richard came in with the note and the supervisor read it out, i dunno but last time i did my leaving cert i was talking to one of the 5th years outside and they said that they got extra money for telling them if someone was cheating

Advertisement