Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctions imposed for cheating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

7Steve wrote: »
    I dunno, I think something should have been done about it. It's crazy to think she someone would even attempt to do this. It's the sheer arrogance of bringing in the notes, that's annoying me.

Personally, If I was the superintendent, I would have kicked her out of that exam early and would have had a discussion with the principal about the whole thing.

They are the kind of people I hate: People who think they can get away with doing whatever they want; thinking they are above the law.

It was a Leaving Cert student and she got away scot free and is in college now. Extremely unfair letting her off, especially for the students who worked hard and followed the rules.

The superintendent did not follow the guidelines. Principals have very little to do with examinations so I'd say the next step would have been to take it to the S.E.C. and cancel her exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

leesmom wrote: »
    richard came in with the note and the supervisor read it out, i dunno but last time i did my leaving cert i was talking to one of the 5th years outside and they said that they got extra money for telling them if someone was cheating

when they read it out to us they said nothing about checking the handwriting sounds like bull if you ask me, not that i care im not a cheat :)

i did the whole supervising thing in 5th year - theres no reward for catching a cheat, found a few books and notes in the toilet at the start of nearly every exam when i did it. i just took them away, that way the person cant cheat, so the way i saw it i was doing them the favor - a quick look at a book might gain them 5 marks but could cancel their whole leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

i did the whole supervising thing in 5th year - theres no reward for catching a cheat, found a few books and notes in the toilet at the start of nearly every exam when i did it. i just took them away, that way the person cant cheat, so the way i saw it i was doing them the favor - a quick look at a book might gain them 5 marks but could cancel their whole leaving
    Yeah I did it as well and we were never told to hand in cheats; just to check the bathroom and to remove bags and notes and then follow the student on bathroom trip to make sure they don't try and bring a book in with them or go to their bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yeah I did it as well and we were never told to hand in cheats; just to check the bathroom and to remove bags and notes and then follow the student on bathroom trip to make sure they don't try and bring a book in with them or go to their bag.

I was never told to do that :D

Not once was I told to go into the jacks! And I did not set my foot inside the door once.

Fad wrote: »
    I was never told to do that :D

Not once was I told to go into the jacks! And I did not set my foot inside the door once.

yeah i was actually told not to go into the toilet - thats pretty creepy

last year my supervisor girl followed me into the jacks - found it pretty weird tbh i dont like people listening lol

• Advertisement

yeah i was actually told not to go into the toilet - thats pretty creepy

last year my supervisor girl followed me into the jacks - found it pretty weird tbh i dont like people listening lol
    Haha we didn't have to actually go in, just stand in the hall outside

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

leesmom wrote: »
    notes were found in the toilets in my school and they came around at the beginning of our maths exam to tell us that they were being sent off with the scripts for the handwriting to be identified and rightly so. why should someone do someone else out of a college place by cheating

Was pretty funny though to see them still there after the Maths exam was finished. I pitty the poor bloke who used them as toilet paper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

A girl i know that goes to the school next to myn was cheating and reported.
    they are in a huge exam hall so they get away with it while we are in a room of 14 to every classroom. But she had flashcards made out for each subject and she put them on her knee under a hoodie so could cheat through all the exams, and she also swapped the supplied log tables with her own, so she didnt have to learn any formulas!

she has been reported but they have to actually catch her. insanity! of course shes not going to cheat now, shes just going to wing the last few exams and get the grades she doesnt deserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I had my phone in my pencil case for my last 3 exams cause I just simply didn't know it was in there and thought I lost it ..... =p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

they are in a huge exam hall so they get away with it while we are in a room of 14 to every classroom. But she had flashcards made out for each subject and she put them on her knee under a hoodie so could cheat through all the exams, and she also swapped the supplied log tables with her own, so she didnt have to learn any formulas!

she has been reported but they have to actually catch her. insanity! of course shes not going to cheat now, shes just going to wing the last few exams and get the grades she doesnt deserve

shes probably scammed some hardworker out of their course for being a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Death.

Death is the sanction for cheating.

Girl next to me in Biology was clicking away on her phone for the whole thing. I know her though, so I decided not to report her. She, and her progeny, need all the help they can get.

Jeebus wrote: »
    Death.

Death is the sanction for cheating.

Girl next to me in Biology was clicking away on her phone for the whole thing. I now her though, so I decided not to report her. She, and her progeny, need all the help they can get.

ohhhhhh, they're one of them species.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stylee

i honestly think thats the worst ever:o how come we all have to work really hard and be worrying about not remembering a formula or whether we learned all the topics as well as we can, when there is people like THAT who sit with friggin FLASHCARDS =o im in shock, cheating is one thing but thats so over the top tbh.. and to get off free? how sickening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

A lad i know got caught cheating in his leaving today.
    he'd been switching the number stickers daily and had little notes caught on them
    today during german the examiner came over and said to him that they knew he was cheating,he took his paper and told him he'd cancel it.
    Obviously the lad was bricking it and a minute later the examiner started laughing and just gave the paper back without cancelling it and just said "ah go on"

does my tits in when people get away with stuff like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Me too tbh -- he was cheating DAILY and they just laughed?
    bad form on the supervisor

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

A lad i know got caught cheating in his leaving today.
    he'd been switching the number stickers daily and had little notes caught on them
    today during german the examiner came over and said to him that they knew he was cheating,he took his paper and told him he'd cancel it.
    Obviously the lad was bricking it and a minute later the examiner started laughing and just gave the paper back without cancelling it and just said "ah go on"

thats actually pretty sickening to think that people get away with stuff like that, i dunno but if it was me and i had cheated when i got my results i wouldnt feel good cause i wouldnt feel that i deserved it

thats a disgrace, i can maybe understand overlooking the odd formula on the hand as it wouldnt really make a huge difference in the grade but cheating daily could mean as much as 50 points

stylee wrote: »
    i honestly think thats the worst ever:o how come we all have to work really hard and be worrying about not remembering a formula or whether we learned all the topics as well as we can, when there is people like THAT who sit with friggin FLASHCARDS =o im in shock, cheating is one thing but thats so over the top tbh.. and to get off free? how sickening?

yeah i know... the worst thing is shes going for medicine! like come one! if she cant sit a leaving cert then how does she expect to pass a medicine course?! shes taking a place in a course that somebody else worked really hard for, and she is going to drop out after two weeks, its insane! and shes stealing grades off of everybody else (10% A's n all off that!)
    drives me bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

To be honest folks, why do any of you care? Its not like someone cheating has a book with them. Its fractions of points. Say if you had 10 formulae on your hand, that might be 30 marks, which could be as little as 6% and thats going on the assumption that no one else knew them. So at best, cheating isn't going to get you in the A catagory from failing, it might add 2% to your entire paper.

Relax, keep the head down and laugh at them. Because people like that never do well in life.

EDIT:
    yeah i know... the worst thing is shes going for medicine! like come one! if she cant sit a leaving cert then how does she expect to pass a medicine course?!

And hey presto, there ya go. The simple answer is she won't. She's cheating herself. And thats if she even gets to medicine. If everyone on this forum became a doctor the Irish system wouldn't be where it is. About 100 people go for medicine (Very round figures! :) ) each year and I'd say less than 15 come out the other side.

ironclaw wrote: »
    To be honest folks, why do any of you care? Its not like someone cheating has a book with them. Its fractions of points. Say if you had 10 formulae on your hand, that might be 30 marks, which could be as little as 6% and thats going on the assumption that no one else knew them. So at best, cheating isn't going to get you in the A catagory from failing, it might add 2% to your entire paper.

Relax, keep the head down and laugh at them. Because people like that never do well in life.

EDIT:

And hey presto, there ya go. The simple answer is she won't. She's cheating herself. And thats if she even gets to medicine. If everyone on this forum became a doctor the Irish system wouldn't be where it is. About 100 people go for medicine (Very round figures! :) ) each year and I'd say less than 15 come out the other side.

yeah i know she wont finish the course if she does get her course, its just the fact that she didnt deserve the opportunity to try, yahno? and if she gets the course shes taking the place of somebody else who tried soo hard. bleh.. sillyness:pac:

• Advertisement

the point is if you cheat in state exams your a dick. simple as that i'm afraid. imagine taking some poor sods place who worked their nuts off all year only to be outdone by someone cheating. Not only that but what makes it worse is that the person who cheats and gets in probably won't even seize the opportunity. makes me sick tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

yeah i know she wont finish the course if she does get her course, its just the fact that she didnt deserve the opportunity to try, yahno? and if she gets the course shes taking the place of somebody else who tried soo hard. bleh.. sillyness:pac:
    your right she shouldnt have the opportunity.what a looser. ive seen people staying up for nights on end studying continously to get the points for medicine and the fact that some bithch could get it instead is totally unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Justin5150

I was told a story about a lad in our school who got caught with notes that he had smuggled in inside his pencil case. The superintendant went over and drew a big "X" on his paper and took it off him. He got no points for that subject but was able to sit the rest of his exams.

To be honest I wouldnt have the liathróidí to do something that stupid.:confused: Its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stylee

celtic723 wrote: »
    the point is if you cheat in state exams your a dick. simple as that i'm afraid. imagine taking some poor sods place who worked their nuts off all year only to be outdone by someone cheating. Not only that but what makes it worse is that the person who cheats and gets in probably won't even seize the opportunity. makes me sick tbh.
    honestly, it really annoys me.. there's loads of people that worry and fret all year about not getting the course they want..
    in that respect the system is awful because to let people get away with all this cheating is so stupid? why should we sit there and study if anyone can cheat..its soo bad!:mad: like that girl cheating with flashcards and the fella who got caught and the superintendent laughed? WTF.. seriously, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Crocodilius

A guy in my school took the cover off his bottle of ballygowan water, scanned it into his computer, opened it up on paint, removed the ingredients and nutritional info on the back of the cover, typed up the points for an irish essay in their place, re-printed it and used it during Irish Paper 1.

Now that's the Chuck Norris of cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

A guy in my school took the cover off his bottle of ballygowan water, scanned it into his computer, opened it up on paint, removed the ingredients and nutritional info on the back of the cover, typed up the points for an irish essay in their place, re-printed it and used it during Irish Paper 1.

No it's not it's called going onto youtube and searching cheat bottle.

pretty good trick but doing it is a pretty queer thing to do as i've already stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

it sorta annoys me how some people say 'ah its no big deal,the most they could be increasin their grade by is a couple of percent by cheatin',but in most cases a couple of percent is all they need because of the way the system works. If I get 300 points,and someone else got 305 because they cheated and brought their grades up(even by just 3 percent each time)they automatically sit higher up on the list for college than me(who was honest and worked to my best potential). ANd if they ut off point becomes 310 because theres that one extra person on the list that shouldnt even be there,then I am automatically ousted from the list for having the lower points. SO even a little cheating has the potential to lose an honest hardworker a place in college.
    I think the sanctions for cheatin are fine as they are but they should be more strictly enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

ironclaw wrote: »

EDIT:

Not quite correct - each college takes in about 100 people. Colleges offering it include UCC, UCD, TCD, RCSI and NUIG, so approx 500 hundred people begin med. The drop out rate is not as overwhelmingly high as people think - every course loses people through lack of interest/ aptitude etc, and med doesn't stand out amongst others. Interestingly (or not), I think the course with the highest dropout rate is electrical engineering.

• Advertisement

A lot of people at a neighbouring school did that for the Mocks and got caught. As a result none of them were allowed bring in bottles for the exams. Imagine a three hour exam with no water! :eek:

Advertisement