Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggy eye drops

Options
  • 11-06-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

hey everyone.

my dog has an eye infection and the vet gave me eye drops to put in his eyes for a few days... but he HATES it.

does anyone have any good tips for getting him to let me put them in? i've tried the reward route of getting him to sit, giving a treat, then trying to put the drops in in order to get another treat... but no go, he's having none of it!

any tips appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

As horrible as it sounds, sitting down and maybe holding the dog between your legs/knees, facing away from you, hold their head up and try and get the drops in.
    All the while telling him he's a good boy, maybe get someone else to hold him? and stroke his chest and see if they can keep him calmer. Then give treat afterwards and lots of praise?
    We used to have to put eye cream in our dogs eyes, she didn't like it but bless her she was good and stayed in your lap for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Definitely get soemone else to hold the dog while you try to do it - it will be much easier. My main tip is to get the dog when they are asleep/waking up...just gently wake the dog up and then put the drops in when they are sleepy - they will be alot calmer for you. We do this with our dogs when putting in ear drops or cutting their nails which they hate - I don't mean to do it when the dog is asleep they will wake up and get a fright or hurt but when they are sleepy - either falling asleep or just waking up - we find they are so much calmer then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Our Vet suggested putting the dog onto the table so he would feel like he was being examined at the vets. It worked with our dog so maybe give that a try? Best of luck, I know how difficult it can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

YOURFACE! wrote: »
    Our Vet suggested putting the dog onto the table so he would feel like he was being examined at the vets. It worked with our dog so maybe give that a try? Best of luck, I know how difficult it can be!

good suggestion i know my dog is a totally different dog when she is sitting on the vets table,it also helps to have 2 people there if someone is already holding the dog it would make the task easier

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Snabe

thanks for all the tips, i found the sleepy dog/waking up dog one is the best - it really works - he lets me put them in no bother then!

cheers everyone :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement