Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the death of collecting and fairs?

• 11-06-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Sparks from the shooting forum pointed out this from the new CJB. If it goes trough will it put a stop to collecting or shows like salut in swords?
    There is also the wording of Section 2C(2) in this amendment, which makes it an offence (with a penalty of up to €20,000 and a seven-year jail sentence) for putting on display any prohibited firearm or prohibited ammunition. While the curator of the various national museums are happily exempted by Section 2C(4), a private individual who has as a decoration a ‘bullet board’ on their wall might in the worst case find themselves facing a stiffer penalty than common sense would seem to dictate appropriate for a tacky sense for interior decoration. While the Minister’s efforts to address a lack of art appreciation in some parts of the country might be considered laudable by those on the Arts Council, I suspect even their refined tastes might find this particular provision to be somewhat unpalatable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

To be honest with you I do not know enough about this to make a judgement. Could I ask what is that link from ?

If that characterisation of the amendment is fair it would seem to be typical of the tabloid knee jerk reaction. I have never met anyone shot by a wall mounted or militaria fair weapons display. The sorts of people running around shooting the place up are probably more interested in MTV than their nearest militaria fair. I suppose militaria fairs/collectors are an easier target though for our sincere politicians.

I think a greater threat came recently from the EU parliament when they tried to outlaw militaria collecting as a hobby if it was militaria from a specific timeframe (I will let you guess the timeframe). The wiesentahl centre have also tried to stop ebay from selling militaria items relating to the Third Reich period too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

like when ebay stopped selling bayonets...the people stabbing others arent using a k98 bayonet their using a kitchen knife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

CRIMINAL JUSTICE (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS)
    BILL 2009
    (2) Any person who—
    (a) possesses, uses or carries,
    (b) manufactures, sells or hires, or offers or
    exposes for sale or hire, or by way of 30
    business repairs or modifies,
    (c) puts on display, or lends or gives to any
    other person, or
    (d) imports in to the State
    a prohibited firearm or prohibited ammunition 35
    shall be guilty of an offence.
    (3) A person who is guilty of an offence under
    this section is liable—
    (a) on summary conviction, to a fine not
    exceeding \5,000 or imprisonment for
    5 a term not exceeding 12 months or
    both, and
    (b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine
    not exceeding \20,000 or imprisonment
    for a term not exceeding 7 years
    10 or both.
    (4) This section shall not apply to any firearm
    or ammunition possessed, used, carried, manufactured,
    sold, hired, offered or exposed for sale or
    hire, repaired or modified by way of business, pos15
    sessed for the purpose of sale or hire or for the
    purpose of modification by way of business, put
    on display, lent or given to another or imported
    into the State under the authority of the Minister
    for Defence for use by the Defence Forces of the
    20 State or under the authority of the Minister for
    use by any lawful police force in the State.”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

This section shall not apply to any firearm
    on display
    , lent or given to another or imported
    use by any lawful police force in the State.”.

they need to learn to use ful stops and bullet points

does this mean just for gun shops or for everyone?????

btw if the gun is inert does it apply??

This section shall not apply to any firearm
    on display, lent or given to another or imported
    use by any lawful police force in the State.
    ”.

It only lets the police and army off the hook.

Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990
    Authorisation to district hold defective firearm without firearm certificate.

6.—(1) The superintendent of the Garda Síochána of a district may grant an authorisation in writing to a person resident in the district not being a person disentitled under the Firearms Acts, 1925 to 1990 to hold a firearm certificate, to have in his possession, without a firearm certificate, a firearm where he is satisfied that the firearm would not be a firearm but for section 4 (1) (f) and that the person has a good reason for wishing to keep it and may be permitted to do so without danger to the public safety or the peace.

(2) The superintendent of the district where the holder of an authorisation under this section resides may, at any time, attach to the authorisation any conditions, whether as regards safe custody or otherwise, which he considers necessary and may at any time revoke the authorisation.

The are still called firearms in the act and need permission from your super to hold. I may be wrong on this. And id say its an over sight by the government to ban collecting. But if this goes ahead without change, I feel we will be effected. Hope im wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

chem wrote: »
    The are still called firearms in the act and need permission from your super to hold. I may be wrong on this.

No, you are quite right, chem. They are classified as defective firearms and still need your Superintendent's permission to hold deactivated (classified defective) firearms.

Folks this bill is going to be voted on soon. The 18th of this month I think. I dont think the government realise this will have an impact on collectors and was intended for something else. Its up to us to get in contact with our local TDs and try to get this cleared up. Before it goes into law!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Chem,
    Didnt you get somthing from the DOJ that said this wouldnt be the case regarding bullet boards and amo collecting?I remember you or somone else posted this in the shooting section.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Militaria and antique firearm collectors are filth in the eyes of government, and much easier to treat as criminals than actual criminals. That there are not, nor have there ever been any antiques/ deactivated exemptions in Irish legislation speaks to the contempt they have for us and our respective hobbies. There isn't a hope in hell of this being changed when we weren't even considered in the first place.
    Even the British, who have banned toys, have reasonable antiques and deact exemptions (and they are stricter than most).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

So has there been anymore knews or developments on this??

• Advertisement
Advertisement