Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way, as a citizen, to make a difference to European politics?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Can you tell me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

european politics are an estension of irish politics. So the same process you would use to influence Irish politics apply to european politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    european politics are an estension of irish politics. So the same process you would use to influence Irish politics apply to european politics.

I;'m British.But that process, what is it? petitions dont do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Affable wrote: »
    I;'m British.But that process, what is it? petitions dont do much.

Perhaps join a political party in Britain. I think the member state holds a massive amount of power within the EU, so I personally believe you could exert more influence by being a member or a ruling party of a member state, than, for instance, becoming an MEP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Perhaps join a political party in Britain. I think the member state holds a massive amount of power within the EU, so I personally believe you could exert more influence by being a member or a ruling party of a member state, than, for instance, becoming an MEP.

what?

becoming a member of ruling party would give you more power than an mep?
    please explain that rationale?

what?

becoming a member of ruling party would give you more power than an mep?
    please explain that rationale?

Because states have the right to negotiate EU treaties, and MEPs don't.

• Advertisement

yes okay you have a point here

but being a member of a party and voting for an mep would be better - or becoming a leader or an mep if you have support

yes okay you have a point here

but being a member of a party and voting for an mep would be better - or becoming a leader or an mep if you have support

I think that's pretty much what I was saying.

Order of influence:
    1. Be Prime Minister of ruling party
    2. Be member of ruling party.
    3. Be MEP.
    4. Vote for party.
    5. Vote for MEP.

Wildcard: Be a multi millionaire with resources to run poster campaign in only country which holds referenda on EU treaties ;)

ignoring becoming a commissioner, that is.

and failing miserable and getting what he deserves ^

where would you rate a commissioner?

and failing miserable and getting what he deserves ^

where would you rate a commissioner?

Massively influential, but extremely difficult to become.

were you not the one advocating that us keeping a commissioner was irrelevant?

• Advertisement

were you not the one advocating that us keeping a commissioner was irrelevant?

Yes, because while a commissioner is massively influential, they're not so on our behalf.

but you still wish to reduce them?

but you still wish to reduce them?

Yes, in the same way I believe that junior ministers in Ireland are a joke, and a case of 'jobs for the boys', I believe that keeping 27+ commissioners represents the same waste.

Again though, it's not a deal breaker for me.

you want a smaller commission

how would we decide who gets in? which country doesnt get one etc etc

you want a smaller commission

how would we decide who gets in? which country doesnt get one etc etc

Again, you assume that a country 'gets' a commissioner, personally I thought the rotating 5 years off, 10 years on system in the previous Lisbon was fine.

It's pretty academic now either way, since it seems that there's going to be one per country now, if we ratify Lisbon in the next referendum.

oh ya its purely coincidental that it works out one per country?

oh ya its purely coincidental that it works out one per country?

No, in my opinion it's a hangover of member states thinking there is some gain to be made by appointing a commissioner.

However, one per country seems to be the way it's going, and while I think it's petty and misguided by the member states, I'm disinclined to argue against it too much, beyond pointing out that I consider it a waste.

right less meps too .....

pfff

right less meps too .....

pfff

MEP's represent their constituency, Commissioners represent the EU.

no they represent the interest of the eu as a whole and come from each country

• Advertisement

no they represent the interest of the eu as a whole and come from each country

MEP's or Commissioners?

If you are talking about Commissioners you are right, if you are talking about MEP's you are wrong.

commissioners.... obviouslt meps represent the people they represent (mostly)

commissioners.... obviouslt meps represent the people they represent (mostly)

Then I don't see where we're disagreeing?

my point is why shouldnt we have less meps too

countering your point of reducing commissioners

Again, I'll refer you to my post above, where I state, and you agree, that MEP's represent their constituency, and Commissioners represent the EU.

If you want to argue that each constituency should have less MEP's then you're welcome to do so, I personally feel that 3 is about right, given the PR system in place, however I'm not wedded to the idea either.

ok - ill just leave it
    the thread is off topic as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

my point is why shouldnt we have less meps too

MEPs numbers would be decided on population (more specificly population density) and national boarders, therefore the number of mep's would be required to be of some substantial number when you consider the population of europe and how it is spread out across the numerous states. When you consider this, simply reducing the number of MEP's would be a complicated affair at least. Its not as simple as saying every provence loosess 2 mep's as the population issues (London has more mep's then any constituency in Ireland) would throw that into disarray. You could rearrange the value of MEP's as per population (1 mep = 500 000 people etc) but that would only severly weaken the representation of smaller countries like Ireland where we have a really small population. Its rather tricky.

countering your point of reducing commissioners

Commissioners on the other hand represent a very specific set number of roles. At the moment we have too many commissioners and not enough roles.

Back on topic

I think the OP is looking for suggestions that do not involve him becoming directly involved in the political system as he stated
    as a citizen
    So I dont think he is looking to join parties or become a mep.

My answer is it is the same as national level politics, the amount of influence you exert is down to how much time you are willing to give up to be involved.

From simple discussions like this online or in your local you are making the smallest difference.

But writing to your MP as well as your MEP on specific researched issues is a much bigger difference, he gives a cookie clutter reply avoiding the question or the issue, you let the country know, you put it in the newspapers, you put it online, you tell the opposition, write to them too, they give a better answer you encoruage them to shout it out.

But I cannot emphasize thinking before you speak, the first and foremost thing anyone should do if they want to influence any political system, is to know how that system works. Libertas took a grilling across europe because they proved again and again they didnt understand how the EU even worked. So first learn how the EU works, start with wikipedia then move to europa, understand the official stance and then opposition and euroskeptics stance, learn whats been debunked and what is hotly debated. And then with that knowledge and with the knowledge of what it is you want to make a difference with you should be able to make a difference.

what that difference is comes back to how much time and effort you want to put into it. At least you will be able to make informed votes at the basic minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Affable wrote: »
    Can you tell me?
    Lobby the commission.

• Advertisement

Advertisement