Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've been asked to get a few shots at a wedding on Saturday

• 11-06-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

The lovely couple know I'm a kind of aspiring photographer, but aspiring is the right word, I have a 400d and have done 2 six week courses. Level 1 we're talking here. They're not looking for anything professional, just some nice shots so I was looking for your help please.

Am I best off leaving it on Auto just to be on the safe side and save me worring about that end of things?

Any other tips you might have?

I'm not stressed about it at all, so I'm not desperately seeking help here, just some hints would be nice. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

podge018 wrote: »
    The lovely couple know I'm a kind of aspiring photographer, but aspiring is the right word, I have a 400d and have done 2 six week courses. Level 1 we're talking here. They're not looking for anything professional, just some nice shots so I was looking for your help please.

Am I best off leaving it on Auto just to be on the safe side and save me worring about that end of things?

Any other tips you might have?

I'm not stressed about it at all, so I'm not desperately seeking help here, just some hints would be nice. Thanks!

Under no way leave it on auto!

Mixed results won't even cover it.

What lenses are you using?

Will you have a speedlite flash?

Are you the main shooter?

I did the IOP half-day course in wedding photography recently. It's an eye-opener.:eek: It ain't easy. And pressure (and I've done several wedding DVDs).

Make sure you tell them that they have to accept whatever comes out. You could fall out with them otherwise.

Have a look at the wedding photography groups on Flickr and look at the exif data of the photos. It might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Depends on what lens you have attached the 400D?The lens will give your limitations of what and where you can get shots

One tip I would give you is to select the "All Focus Points" in your viewfinder as your Auto Focus therefore you will get the sharpness spot on.If you select just the center point you might start missing the focus.

If they want a record of the Day, I would go for the Candid shots, ones there don't pose for. Where they will be relaxed more, and watch out behind you for the relatives chatting/looking bored/kids playing/ etc

Details of the day are a reminder of that they paid out for the venue also. the small things like Bouquets/flower arrangements/Details in the dress/carnations/Paige boys/flower girl/

Thats all I can think of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think the OP is saying that the couple have asked that he do some pics (just casual stuff)

OP.....assuming that the couple have an "official" photographer..... you just need to relax, shoot whatever you think looks like a good pic.

if they dont actually have a photographer then make sure they know that they will be getting....discuss what pictured they want (I'm sure theres been plenty of wedding photo checklists thrown up on boards over the last couple of weeks/months)

Personally - I have done a couple of friends wedding pics and my main thing is to get relaxed/casual pics - and if possible an overhead pic (usually the couple and or wedding party) - I dont like organising people so I just shoot whatever I want or whatever I think the couple will like....chances are you will know other guests and will probably concentrate your pics on the people that you know - try to ensure you get other guests.

I just hope you get good weather.

Ps. for inspiration or ideas on pics to do - have a flick through various websites (ie. flickr or google some wedding photographers websites)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you had a few more days before the wedding I'd highly recommend you get yourself a Canon 50mm 1.8, then stick your 400D on AV and shoot away....you'll get fantastic results and it'll work great in low light without a flash :)

Worked for me in the past :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Try to avoid using direct flash if possible. It may not be, but you tend to get flat images when you use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭AllMyOwnTeeth

One tip I'd recommend is that you plan your group shots in advance. Ask the couple who they want to appear in them and make up some lists so that you can refer back to them on the day (get the bridal party to help you then locate those people for the shots you want).

The group shots tend to be the most chaotic and it can be very stressful trying to reform them if you are missing some people.

Above all try to remain calm at all times (even if it's just on the outside) - that will keep everybody else relaxed. Weddings can be a lot of fun to shoot especially if you are working to a plan.

Regarding your camera - shoot with the aperture fairly wide open (in AV mode, remember as well that your group shots may need a bit more DOF so you might also need a tripod). On camera flash is nasty and will kill off the beautiful colours that most brides have put a lot of effort into assembling. If you need to use flash try it off camera or if that's not possible try bouncing it off something.

Best of luck!

Advertisement