Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small amount of oil in header bottle?

• 11-06-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Noticed tonight that there was a small amount of oil in my header bottle- is this a sign of a screwed head gasket? There are no other signs of the HK being gone. The fluid level remains constant in the header bottle. Any ideas? Car is a Passat 1.9 tdi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Frank_Gooding

Could be a head gasket, open the oil filler cap and look for a white gunge.

It is possible to get a mechanic to check this for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Yeah checked the oil cap- no gunge. Im hoping its not a HK but sure il wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

More likely to be the oil cooler than the head gasket IMO.

Simple enough to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Sounds like the Head Gasket has failed if oil is getting into the water, get a mechanic to do a sniffer test on it to confirm whether it's the head gasket at fault as it will ascertain whether exhaust gases are getting into the coolant indicating HG failure.

The sniffer test as you put it would check for combustion gases in the coolant system.

It would be totally uselss for the OP's symptoms as he has said nothing about about pressurising the coolant.

If the headgasket had failed and was allowing the oil to enter the coolant it would be doing so between two of the seals where the castings in the block meet the head.

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »
    More likely to be the oil cooler than the head gasket IMO.

Simple enough to find out.

Cheers 4 the info - how would i go about finding out for sure if it is the oil cooler?

I'm not too familiar with the set up on these engines.

If there is separate pipes bringing coolant to the oil cooler that disconnect them and link them together bypassing the cooler. Start the engine and run it for a bit, you will see the oil coming out.

If it is not a separate then it will be a bit more awkward.

I'm not too familiar with the set up on these engines.

If there is separate pipes bringing coolant to the oil cooler that disconnect them and link them together bypassing the cooler. Start the engine and run it for a bit, you will see the oil coming out.

If it is not a separate then it will be a bit more awkward.

Il try and give it a go tomorrow. So to find out if it is the oil cooler that is the problem, i look for oil coming out of the cooler where to pipes should be connected?

There should be no oil coming out of the coolant connections. If it is leaking you may find traces on the inside of the water pipes by rubbing your finger in them.

I'll have a look at a Passat in work 2mrw and let ya know the score if no one else can answer definitively by then.

Thanks for that. Its a '99 passat if that makes any difference. Cheers again.

• Advertisement

Right was chatting the lads in the Skoda garage and they agree with me that head gasket would be very very rare in these engines.

Couldnt find a passat but had a look at a VAG lump and the oil cooler is below the oil filter and has external coolant pipes.

Take 'em off and check for oil residue in them.

Right was chatting the lads in the Skoda garage and they agree with me that head gasket would be very very rare in these engines.

Couldnt find a passat but had a look at a VAG lump and the oil cooler is below the oil filter and has external coolant pipes.

Take 'em off and check for oil residue in them.

Cheers- was also chatting to a mechanic friend who recons your diagnosis is bang on.
    Just one more thing, if i take off the coolant pipes leading to the oil cooler, will water no start pissing out of them?

Yeah you will lose all the coolant. You can collect it if you want or have a bit of steel pipe the same size and join the 2 pipes as quick as possible to minimise the loss.

Advertisement