Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web design

Options
  • 11-06-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, currently training up in Dreamweaver, but finding it a bit fiddly as I'm more used to Illustrator/Photoshop. Is setting up a template in Photoshop/Illustrator and slicing images seen as acceptable in web design?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

pauro 76 wrote: »
    Hi, currently training up in Dreamweaver, but finding it a bit fiddly as I'm more used to Illustrator/Photoshop. Is setting up a template in Photoshop/Illustrator and slicing images seen as acceptable in web design?
    For beginners & amateurs yes, for professionals no.

Coming from Illustrator or Photoshop, Dreamweaver will not be easy to grasp since you're no longer designing for a fixed, static medium such as an A4 page. It's also very hard to use Dreamweaer unless you understand HTML, because otherwise conventions, rules and behaviours are all very confusing. If you want to get into web stuff in a more professional capacity, then I'd recommend buying 'Heads First XHTML & CSS' it's a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

pauro 76 wrote: »
    Totally fine once you understand the basics of HTML and image sizes for downloading over an internet connection. I.e. You could slice up a whole page in photoshop and simply make it into a webpage for dreamweaver easily enough and it will look fine.

But the downside is the time it takes for a user to open your page in their browser depending on internet connection speed / provider. A page that is mostly made up of sliced images takes 'forever' to open because images take a while to load, and most likely will not be opened or viewed by the 'target audience' that the page or site should have been 'designed' for.

That's just a basic reply. Dreamweaver is there to speed up your work a lot, but it will drive you nuts unless you first understand the basics of the parts that put a well designed page together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭zaratustra

there is lots of tutorials . try this one: http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/

Advertisement