Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much fun mx5 actuall is? & ( okay for male? )

• 11-06-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

hey, read alot of nice stuff about mx5. For its small engine it is prety dinamic, plus 50/50 weight ratio. Its weight is only 1ton aswell...

So..... Is it actually fun car to own? And how bad running costs?

And is it possible to live with it as daily driver to work ( 5 milles) and just for fun on days off.( having normal second car for long trips and shoping). Winters are not that bad here, but this cabrio would be very freezing around 7:00 in morning?

And main thing: wount poeple will look a bit strange at fella driving it? :D Its lovely car, but somehow its written: WOMANS CAR all over it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

True story,

My 75 year old Nan and her 65 year old toyboy lover drive one, there even in the mx5 club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

And main thing: wount poeple will look a bit strange at fella driving it? :D Its lovely car, but somehow its written: WOMANS CAR all over it...

Depends, what does your boyfriend think?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

spadder wrote: »

lol male here lads, thats why i am asking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Seems to be just a fun car to drive. Get it if you want. I doubt anyone on Motors would deny it's abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lol male here lads, thats why i am asking :D

Really depends on how much you let other people influence your choice of car.

If you want one then buy one, sod what others think.

BTW the MX-5 has been one if not the best car in it's class for over a decade now.

Plenty of good information here:
    http://www.mx5ireland.com/

• Advertisement

I actually loving it... was thinking of getting something like 200sx,b4, mr2.... but came across mx5....

would really love to know more.

btw cheers for link! ill defenetly going to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

bazz26 wrote: »
    Really depends on how much you let other people influence your choice of car.

If you want one then buy one, sod what others think.

BTW the MX-5 has been one if not the best car in it's class for over a decade now.

Plenty of good information here:
    http://www.mx5ireland.com/

Yeah the gay class :p I read great things about them aswell, was even considering one for myself until my sister got a '99 1.6 UK Model.
    Lovely girls car but thought the power was pathetic. Can't imagine the 1.8 would retify this either.

Whatever about cornering etc (not mine so didn't give it uber stick to really find out) I thought it was desperately slow, my G60 corrado would blow it away...

Def. try before you buy, with the price of stuff like S2000's at the moment I'd ditch the mx5 idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Turlock wrote: »
    Yeah the gay class :p I read great things about them aswell, was even considering one for myself until my sister got a '99 1.6 UK Model.
    Lovely girls car but thought the power was pathetic. Can't imagine the 1.8 would retify this either.

Well if you are uncomfortable with your sexuality then maybe things like that will influence your decision. MX-5s are driven by all walks of life and not buying one because it may question your manhood is plain daft.
    Whatever about cornering etc (not mine so didn't give it uber stick to really find out) I thought it was desperately slow, my G60 corrado would blow it away...

Comparing the performance of a supercharged hothatch to a normally aspired 2 seater convertible is bizzare considering they are two completely different cars designed to do different things. The MX-5 was not designed for performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Think the 1.8 one is 126bhp and a bit quicker than the standard 1.6 of probably 100bhp+/-. You wont buy one for straight-line speed, but for spirited twisty driving it will show its class.
    Wouldn't buy one myself, i'd get a MK1 MR2 (SC maybe) if i wanted that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

spadder wrote: »
    Ha ha I almost woke me parents with the laughing.

• Advertisement

Okay lads... i really whant one... But i just got a slap to mine face with huge salmon...

I called mine insurance, asked howmuch it will cost to change mine car to mx5 ( driving clk200 atm). so i was told: you need to be 30 years old for it! I was like WHAT!!!!!!!?????

Then i am asking her: okay how much will cost me to swap into toyota mr2 gt turbo. Answer: 14 eu extra per month......

I went all EMO!!!! I asked how come you insurme on car that has twice power then mx5!!!

Anyway... 123.ie insuring me on it for 1k eu.... Just swaping insurances again will be pain in a hole..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Okay lads... i really whant one... But i just got a slap to mine face with huge salmon...

I called mine insurance, asked howmuch it will cost to change mine car to mx5 ( driving clk200 atm). so i was told: you need to be 30 years old for it! I was like WHAT!!!!!!!?????

Then i am asking her: okay how much will cost me to swap into toyota mr2 gt turbo. Answer: 14 eu extra per month......

I went all EMO!!!! I asked how come you insurme on car that has twice power then mx5!!!

Anyway... 123.ie insuring me on it for 1k eu.... Just swaping insurances again will be pain in a hole..... :(

i think its only because its convertible,i know a guy who has a nissan silvia (200sx?) and he cant get insured on an mx-5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

The 1.8 mx5 is a cracker of a car.

Don't mind the whole girls car crack besides thought that was just reserved for audi tt's!

In fairness you have to hand it to mazda at the time very few companies where making 2-seater convertibles they went ahead and set up the market for it.

Nobody complains that the lotus only had a 1.8 ltr engine.
    Both are a small nimble and light car. Id definitely drive one if i had the cash, there a cheap roadster that doesn't feel chaep.

Its not like the hyundai coupe can be called a cheap sportscar, because it aint fast it doesn't handle well, just about looks good.

The MX5 does everything and the 1.8 rectifies the problem over the wimpy little power in the 1.6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cabrwab wrote: »
    In fairness you have to hand it to mazda at the time very few companies where making 2-seater convertibles they went ahead and set up the market for it.

+1

Mazda singlehandedly revived the segment of the 2 seater open top sportscar that had died with the British motor industry

I am really hooked up on mx5 now. Its not even funny... but i cant belive quinn-direct dropped such a ball on me....

123.ie takes me for 1.109eu per year. but that will mean: I need to cancel insurance on quinn-direct, get insurance on 123.ie, then get insurance for mine misses on old car aswell...

I guess i will need to cancell insurance first, then get insured on 123.ie... Rate will make it complicated way to pick up a car from a dealer...

Anyway i am on look for a mx5 99ish now, gonna start looking for it seriuosly after misses comes back from holidays and spends a fortune :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

shadowhearth....... ive been looking for insurance quotes for convertables..... got some crazy shocks along my way too.....have you checked out pibasure.ie for a quote???i never heard of them before till last nite but they gave me a quote for half the price another broker gave me ..... and the funniest part was that it was a quote for the same insurance company....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

ps. quinn have to insure you on it at least till the end of you're year.....they might quote you a fortune.... but they are obliged to insure you..... ( im going through the same kinda thing myself at the moment !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

Well,

From a MX5 owner, I can certaintly recommend one. Prices have fallen through the floor lately too. Be careful with a Jap import - some insurance companies at the moment will not insure them ??

Great drivers car, little to go wrong, easy to fit turbo/supercharger if you want to go down that road.

I'm on my second one and just love it - oh and by the way yes there are female owners in the club but most drivers that I see are of the male variety, if that really is a concern. As already said plenty of advice on the mx5 website - even a few for sale.

Roadster5

My 75 year old Nan and her 65 year old toyboy lover drive one, there even in the mx5 club.

Pic or it didn't happen :)

roadster5 wrote: »
    Well,

From a MX5 owner, I can certaintly recommend one. Prices have fallen through the floor lately too. Be careful with a Jap import - some insurance companies at the moment will not insure them ??

Great drivers car, little to go wrong, easy to fit turbo/supercharger if you want to go down that road.

I'm on my second one and just love it - oh and by the way yes there are female owners in the club but most drivers that I see are of the male variety, if that really is a concern. As already said plenty of advice on the mx5 website - even a few for sale.

Roadster5

ah cheers m8. I allready checked that website, and its pure AWESOME! So many advices, great forum, tech days. When i get mine hands on one of the mx5 i would really like to join that gang.

I actually not woried about people opinion now. If its lovely car, why should i care :D.

Btw that turbo/supercharger expencive work to do? It would be enought power for me at that moment, but in future i would love to do something like that.

Btw how can i know that mx5 is non import, maybe different trim names? Like silvia/200sx? I would really like to go for UK/IRL model...

p.s. someone mentioned that insurance company... can i get more details and phone number for them?

• Advertisement

Lads i am back on track! I went to hibernian insurance in Town today. so:

1.8 mx5 1999 10th annyversery edition - 1.2k eu ( for me and mine GF)

and for mine:

old car mercedes clk200 700eu ( for me and GF too!)

Its awesome! Considering that i pay 1.2k for mercedes atm with quinn-direct....

I am going to start looking for mx5 now :D! sweat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

There were 2 1.6's,the original was the more powerful up until the 1.8 came out then they brought out a detuned version 1.6 to create distance between it and the 1.8,was around 97/98 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/MX-5/6-Speed,/200923193010200/advert?channel=CARS

Can personally recommend that 1, a mate of mine just traded it in for a '09 one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have a non-gay one, HERE :D:D:D

And, it's nicer to drive than the P-car.......and everything happens 100km/h slower. Including un-announced 360's....:eek:

Mind you, remoulds will do that to you :p:p

Oh, and insured for Eur 300 this year :):)

What's not to like ?

Costs zero to run, zero to fix, and has a fabulous heater. Winter is no problem

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Cousin has 2 of these and swears by them , Mechanic by profession

uses one everyday and has a modified one for Doing Hill climbing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

That '99 one on carzone is exactly like mine - a 10th anniversary limited edition - the wheels shown are not the originals they should be Enkei high polished ones - mine has white ones also - look good when there clean, but take wawy from the originallty of the car imo

Super car to drive - all the gearboxes are notchy in 1st/2nd

Spideog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

galwaytt wrote: »
    I have a non-gay one, HERE :D:D:D

And, it's nicer to drive than the P-car.......and everything happens 100km/h slower. Including un-announced 360's....:eek:

Mind you, remoulds will do that to you :p:p

Oh, and insured for Eur 300 this year :):)

What's not to like ?

Costs zero to run, zero to fix, and has a fabulous heater. Winter is no problem

Think I asked you before? Where did you get that insurance quote?
    OP you won't regret for a minute buying a mx5. They are a great all round proposition. They are easy to maintain and I guarantee that you will get out of one in a better mood than when you started your journey. Don't mind the "top trumps" boys that tell you that a civic Tyre R has way more power.The mx5 is far more accomplished than an overpowered shopping trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

groupb wrote: »
    OP you won't regret for a minute buying a mx5. They are a great all round proposition. They are easy to maintain and I guarantee that you will get out of one in a better mood than when you started your journey. Don't mind the "top trumps" boys that tell you that a civic Tyre R has way more power.The mx5 is far more accomplished than an overpowered shopping trolley.

Quinn

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

groupb wrote: »

And I can't believe I have never even driven an MX-5 yet :(

I really like these cars. I will own one. Wanna do some sort of swap, galwaytt? :D;)

Mind, €300 insurance on a 1.6l 116bhp car seems excessive. I pay €325 fully comp on a 4.7l 310bhp car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've been loving this one for soooo long.

This one is bloody lovely as well.
    This one looks great too.
    There's so many nice MX-5s out there to be had.

unkel wrote: »
    I pay €325 fully comp on a 4.7l 310bhp car
    Sorry for going off topic, but i have to ask...
    What the hell are you driving?:eek:
    Wouldn't mind having a 4.7L under the hood.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic, but i have to ask...
    What the hell are you driving?:eek:
    Wouldn't mind having a 4.7L under the hood.

Porsche 928

Advertisement